Licensed Entries ONLY for 94.7

Gumpole

I don't understand why people cry about  paying for a cycling licsence. Just take the cost of licsencing and joining a club and buying kit' date=' then divide that by 12 and compare that to the monthly insurance you are paying on your 20 to 35 grand bike. [/quote']

This is the most ridiculous argument I have ever seen.

So if by association you drive a Porche you should have no concerns about paying the R15000.00 members fee to the internation Porche club??

Some folk just want to drive a Porche, they dont want to be part of the international body, they dont care about the free cigar lounge in Munich or the discounts on Porche coffee cups.

Its the same here, why must some people be FORCED to join a club so they can ride a race / ride they pay for anyway, they turtle along at the back and enjoy the social day out in the sun - the money is not the issue at all.!! 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well said widget...........

i agree, my sister only does this one race on the tandemwith me every year...she doesn't even cycle the rest of the time..she has already said if this is the case, then she will not do it again!

94.7 will be losing out big time!!!!!!!!!

Dhu what's the problem? There are many races that have tiered entry fees, early entry, corporate, licenced etc.

So for the funrider just include the cyclosport cost in the entry.

an even more workable option is:

All national races have No licence fee; Cyclosport; Full licence, then once you have purchased your "licence" the next race is cheaper depending on the licence.

Easy peasy!

Alternatly all the big race organizers and CSA get together check out the averagfe number of entries per race ab\nd the number of duplicates, they can come up with an average entry increase of maybe 1 or 2% to ensure that all are covered. all that this means is the race organizers and CSA need to communicate.

This will allow the Joe bloggs to get a licence without even knowing it and he recieved his Cyclosport licence in the post. No problem!!! OK he may need to send in a copy of his photo, but is this so bad????

Maybe I am missing the point!! If so please correct me, but why complicate the issue?

Guest Big H

Amoryn, your sister can take out a maximum of two temporary licences per year.... 94,7 does not need to "loose out big time" because she does not take part.

This hysteria will soon blow over and everybody will have little cards in their pockets and CSA will have a cool R9 million in their pockets to pay their employees to sit and do even less as some hubbers profess. Latrinus can improve the website and a centrally run National Seeding Register can be established. The PPA can go bankrupt because of their exclusivity and the clubs will boom once again.... as it should be, and we will be one small happy family as we have always been.

Remember and mark my words ..... there will be 28 000 cyclists at the 94.7 ..... all with little cards in their pocket!!!!!!!

(R75-55 x 120 000 = R9 mill ...... 120 000 cyclists on Seeding Register)

It's not often that I agree with Big H Smile. But in this case I think that cycling in South Africa will be better of with a strong club system in place. Even for the "Moms & Pops". A strong club system will allow pressure to be applied wherever it is required. AS LONG AS THEY CAN STEER CLEAR OF THE "MY CLUB IS BIGGER THAN YOURS" TYPE POLITICS!!!

Guest Big H

Politics will unfortunately always be there!!!!!! Nuffin you can do about that. Lived in that environment for too long.

SA should look to running for a good example!!!!  Let people license/join clubs if they want, BUT DON'T LIMIT THE TEMPORARY LICENSES!!!!!  Easy.  Charge an extra R x for a temp lic and all this moaning and groaning will  be over and done with!

Amoryn' date=' your sister can take out a maximum of two temporary licences per year.... 94,7 does not need to "loose out big time" because she does not take part.

This hysteria will soon blow over and everybody will have little cards in their pockets and CSA will have a cool R9 million in their pockets to pay their employees to sit and do even less as some hubbers profess. Latrinus can improve the website and a centrally run National Seeding Register can be established. The PPA can go bankrupt because of their exclusivity and the clubs will boom once again.... as it should be, and we will be one small happy family as we have always been.

Remember and mark my words ..... there will be 28 000 cyclists at the 94.7 ..... all with little cards in their pocket!!!!!!!

(R75-55 x 120 000 = R9 mill ...... 120 000 cyclists on Seeding Register)
[/quote']

Big H, No more temporary licenses anymore.

[quote=widget

All they want to do is ride with their mates on a sunday and be part of something big a few times a year.

Why must they license.???????

so let the moms and pops carry on riding with their mates - but if they want to be part of an organised event they must be willing to abide by the rules and regs of the organisers and the easiest way is to license be it full or cyclosport.   

Big%20smile

I agree those that want to participate in races must abide by certain rules & regulations - join a club get a licence etc...stop "B*^^&ng about it !!

Personally I never concerned myself with joining a club or becoming licenced - I raced for years & enjoyed the thrill & pressure. By choice now I just enjoy cycling & the open road with my training buddy/s......Truth be told I could care less about CSA & associated bodies linked to cycling - my seeding was messed up a number of times & my licence was well...never forthcoming....who care's I still have my bike....Thumbs%20Up

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Guest Big H

Chunky.... from 94.7 letter.... has this now been recinded??????

Temporary Licenses will be issued to cyclists by Central Gauteng Cycling who wish to participate on an ad hoc basis in sanctioned events. A Temporary Licence holder may be seeded in the event based on their seeding index. Only TWO Temporary Licenses will be issued to any cyclist during the course of the year. The cost of a temporary license is R. 30.00 and once again please contact Gail Heuvel at 707-2734.

hmmm, so according to my knowledge of cycling , they'll have to issue at least 30,000 + 20,000 temp licences at the Argus and 94.7. As we know, the bulk of these two races are 2-5 races a year cyclists.

This is what they say on the Amashova website.

Licensing

We at the Amashova totally support the new licensing rule. It is going to be difficult whist we get it up and running but we believe by all pulling together it will benefit the sport in the long run for the following reasons.
a. To date there is no record of how many people cycle. This is important cos when it comes to national funding we are considered a minority sport - so our federation gets very little if no financial support from central government.
b. Because of this we have no or very little say in the development of safe cycling areas in our cities.
c. If they knew how many people cycled then we would have some clout with cycling lanes, and signage for cyclists. We would also not have to have protest cycle ride to show the city how many cyclists are on the road. They would have this data already
d. The road users spend their lives moaning that they have to pay a license but cyclists don't which they believe gives us no rights - maybe this will go a long way to getting rid of that attitude.
e. Included in the license fee is an insurance fee - public liability that the federation will take out for every cyclist when they are on a ride - NOT during an event as this is taken care of already by the race organisers
f. When you license you will be placed on a national Seeding ladder which will benefit you with your seeding no matter which province you ride in. You wont be expected to ride seeding events as such - as long as you ride regularly in timed events anywhere you will be placed according to your ability.
g. Much of the funds that come from the license fees will go towards developing cycling to PDI's - this is vital for us to continue to attract sponsors and for us to have any credibility at all in this country
h. Our job is to increase the interest, the number and the safety of people who cycle - eventually it will become the preferred and recognised mode of transport and we should all be working towards that.
i. We will then have to have a system in place to accommodate this switch in transport whist numbers are still manageable - and now is the perfect time. I.e. kids riding to school again, factory workers riding to work instead of catching public transport at the crack of dawn etc etc
j. The dream is to have every cyclist that rides has an identity band - so that if they need assistance whilst out on the road we will have a central data base that will have all their personal info so that the best treatment, etc can be administered immediately with no risk
k. You don't have to join a club if you only ride a few events - a day license has been introduced at a much reduced cost

mampara: good points, cant say i believe most of them, but it is well argued

H: I bet that 94,7 will not get 28,000 entries that also get some sort of license. I will put up the African country of your choice against you fixing all the potholes outside of my house!

Widget: I agree just because somebody has an expensive bike/ car they should still be entitled to complain about small costs in life... however it always seems strange that the average Hubber rides a +- R20,000 bicycle and will seriously consider dropping 3 or 4 grand for ceramic bearings or 8 to 12 grand for better wheels, but then complain passionately about the most trivial costs in cycling.