BB installation - advice please

Christie

I'm installing a new bb, and I've got a question:

Should I use loctite on the thread? If so, what flavour? I'm intending to use the blue (243)

I don't think that you should...

Grease the threads slightly, and tighten. I have never had a problem not using Loctite, and it might cause more problems than it's worth!!

I'm installing a new bb' date=' and I've got a question:

Should I use loctite on the thread? If so, what flavour? I'm intending to use the blue (243)

[/quote']

Make sure threads are clean and insert carefully - also don't think you need loctite.

Never used loctite either and not had problems.  Clean, light lube and tighten straight should do the trick provided you tighten enough.

No loctite for sure, clean and lubed - you can use plumbers thread tape (the white ptf type) but only if you have problems with it creaking and grunting after awhile. Grease I found will usually only stop creaks temporily.

• 4 weeks later...

Christie? are you a mechanic? No? then go to your Local Bike Shop for this kind of thing.  Even better, if you are fiddling with your bike around the BB (of all places) and have to ask this type of question, go to the LBS and part with R200, and get a service and wash included...smileys/smiley2.gif

Struth...... smileys/smiley36.gif

Did not loctite it, but decided to clean & dry it, and torque to the 70 Nm dry thread spec by Campy. On cleaning it, I found some rust in the bb (its a 1 year old steel frame). Cleaned out the rust, then put some super high grade aircraft grease in the frame and torqued it to the 40 Nm Campy specifies for lubed thread.

The bike is running sweetly, but I've only done about 1000 km on it since so it is early days.

Wet weather's not good for steel bikes!

I don't know what its called but I know a lot of bike shops put it on new bb's before installing, its a golden lube that they rub on

I went to the cycling shop, the stuff they put on bb's before installing it, the golden stuff is called copper compound

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken they use the copper compund so that the alu BB shell and alu bb in the frame don't "weld" together. If you tighten alu on alu it will fuse together over time. That is also why they put grease and stuff on alu seatposts. (how many times can you use "alu" in one paragraph *doh, just did it again*)