Id10T Cyclists

Poenster

Guest Big H

Ja baie sukkel en die karre sou die perrekar met die kaypee so aanvaar het want hy dra nie skintight moffie klere nie!!!!!!!!! Hulle vloek anycase snaaks. Dalk sou hy niks gese het nie want hy is dalk 'n Oupa en leef in vrees dat fietsryers hom sal aanrand!!!!!!!! Dalk val die hemel en ons dra almal blou kepsies!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey H what is it with this homophobia of yours?

Want to share something with us?

"Dalk" het jy 'n "secret"?

Well worth the time reading through it...

I wonder how many cyclists are actually signalling their intentions to the motorists?? No where near enough.

I have made a point of clearly showing my intentions while on the road. More often than not, the motorist has appreciated it, knowing what I plan to do, and has allowed me the time to do it. A quick thank you, and that's one less irritated driver on the road. Perhaps these motorists are cyclists, and understand the situation - who knows.

Whether you're on your own, or in a bunch, it all starts with you (the cyclists).

And when it comes to lights on the front/rear of the bike... it amazing to see how many cyclists have a light, but don't actually use it.

I think most of the time it's the signalling of the cyclists thats getting to the motorists!

Hey but maybe you're right! We should throw them more signs!

Lights!

Next thing I'll have to fix some mud guards as well?

I have made a point of clearly showing my intentions while on the road. More often than not' date=' the motorist has appreciated it, knowing what I plan to do, and has allowed me the time to do it. A quick thank you, and that's one less irritated driver on the road. Perhaps these motorists are cyclists, and understand the situation - who knows.

Whether you're on your own, or in a bunch, it all starts with you (the cyclists).

And when it comes to lights on the front/rear of the bike... it amazing to see how many cyclists have a light, but don't actually use it.
[/quote']

Quite right there snowman. On my commute I also make a point to make my intensions known. I sit up straight and make big hand movements and the cars will actually let you in and be safe. And a "thank you" wave also helps for the next time.

I make sure my lights are on, only during commute though. I'm not riding to look cool, I'm riding to get to work safely.

That's weird man!

Do you ACTUALLY do this stuff?!

Or are you just trying to pull it out of me?!

Last time I sat up straight and made big hand movements was at school, just had to GO!

Weird man! Real weird!

Just refrain from RH's universal middle finger sign, that one intends to upset motorists scotty2007-03-20 05:11:06

i'm with mampara and frosty on this. whenever i commute (read get p'd off with spending too much time driving or when car goes for a service) i indicate my intentions. so far it generally has the result of the car next to / behind me "assisting" me to do what i want to do (eg drives slowly next to me until the intersection is negotiated safely or dropping back to let me in)

i'm with mampara and frosty on this. whenever i commute (read get p'd off with spending too much time driving or when car goes for a service) i indicate my intentions. so far it generally has the result of the car next to / behind me "assisting" me to do what i want to do (eg drives slowly next to me until the intersection is negotiated safely or dropping back to let me in)

The more times that you thank a motorist for taking an action that he would expect to do anyway the more kudos you will win for all cyclists. The initial reaction is "Why is he/she thanking me?" The lasting reaction usually is "Mmm... that was nice of him to acknowledge me". It's human nature! And then the next time (or once it happens enough) they will be sub-consciously "trained" to make life easy for cyclists.

The opposite also applies, and some of the people on this forum already accept it - the more people hear about how we don't belong on the roads the sooner they actually accept that principle and sub-consciously make things difficult for us.

Agreed, they have to be trained like monkeys or dogs, rewarded for good behaviour and punished for bad behaviour. It really does work.

yep, windbreaker and titus have it right... a classic case of human behaviour modification based on the principles of Pavlov, which has been proven to work across all species... dogs, cats, pigeons, mice, rats, monkeys and, yes, even homo sapiens (it's actually how you teach children whether you admit it or not)

oh, and saying thank you is so very easy, and it suits lazy folk like me because.... IT TAKES FEWER MUSCLES TO SMILE THAN IT DOES TO FROWN Big%20smile

Taken from http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.asp?mc=cycling&nc=bicycling

Traffic light sensors

Some traffic lights operate on a demand system, and the lights change only when they sense metal over the sensor embedded in the road. Often bicycles don’t activate them, so when stopped, lean your bike down to offer more metal surface.

This hint works for me when I am on my STEEL Eddy Merckx. Unfortunately if doesn't work for me when I am on my non magnetic Alu/CArbon KONA. OOPS WTF. Must I now jump the non responsive light or wait? Jump or wait? Jump or wait? WTF lets go.

Cycling on pavements

It is not recommended that you ride on pavements. However, when riding slowly with children, this is often a safe place to ride. Just be aware of cars turning in and out of driveways. At an intersection, push your bike across if you’ve reached it on the pavement.

This one is great, my sister in law believes that roads are for cars, pavements are for bicycles. (She is always right, (Trust me) and she drives like it too. ps she lives in Somerset West and drives a chrysler.) When on my MTB I agree with her, pedestrians should swing from trees. I have already flattened two of them. Very inconsiderate of them to use MY pavement. Although I feel bad about it (my shoulder still hurts) it still beats being hit by a motor car. (I secretly hope for the day that I can ride my sister in law off the pavement, as she is walking out of the Somerset mall. I suppose we all have dreams!!!)