My Favourite road

EdoardoBianchi

Oh...and on the road bike i have to agree with Klappit - Swaarmoed is my favourite too!

Are you insane ?
I think it all depends on what time of the day you ride these climbs. My recollection of Swaarmoed was after 180km on the DC and it was about 11am and 40 degrees !
I hate that damn climb ! smiley19.gif

Ja' date=' think some people might call me insane...EmbarrassedWink But seriously...think we did about 100km on the day. loved it!!!Heart

Ja ja Bertus' date=' ek moet eers vir my 'n mtb aanskaf[/quote']

EK wil ook nou 'n MTB koop. Waarna kyk jy?

hmmm...something with shocks and knobblies?LOL

seriously...don't really know yet. At the moment i will be happy with ANY mtb.

Although...an Orbea would be really really cool.Big%20smile

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 3 years ago I road up Sani Pass' date=' there was still snow on the top part of the pass and it was absolutely beautiful. I have foto's somewhere will try find them.

I would actually like to go do that again sometime.
[/quote']

PLEASE lemme know when you planning on going, amateur!!! it's on my to-do list!

There used to be an MTB race from the Sani Pass hotel to the top of the Pass and back in December. Not sure if it is still on. I will check my race diary tonight.

Also on my do list ( before it gets tarred)

[Dr Evil laugh]

One of the worst climbs I could find pics for...Passo della Stelvio in Northern Italy close to Bormio. It is regularly featured in the Giro (the real one Wink)

Certainly looks imposing...

20070328_102603_stelvio1.jpg

Gosh....the Stelvio! 48 x 180degree switchbacks!

Screw a bike....one day I'm going to take a Ferrari up that thing!

Guest Big H
Have not read the post but my favourite road is the one back home. My heart is where the home is!!!!!!

...one day I'm going to take a Ferrari up that thing! 

*Clarkson voice*

...You get the car' date=' I'll navigate [initially']

About 3 years ago I road up Sani Pass' date=' there was still snow on the top part of the pass and it was absolutely beautiful. I have foto's somewhere will try find them.

I would actually like to go do that again sometime.
[/quote']

PLEASE lemme know when you planning on going, amateur!!! it's on my to-do list!

There used to be an MTB race from the Sani Pass hotel to the top of the Pass and back in December. Not sure if it is still on. I will check my race diary tonight.

Also on my do list ( before it gets tarred)

thank you, i-fly! Big%20smile

Has anyone been through Baviaanskloof on a mtb? It seems to feature strongly on the 4x4/BMW GS forums as a must-do destination...

The Baviaanskloof is stunning.  Unfortunately I missed out on a lot when I tackled the Transbaviaans last year, as lot of it was done in the dark.  The upside of bailing out at the top of Mother was that I got to see the summit and descent in daylight the next morning.  Got some phone pics somewhere.

I'm hoping to be back for more punishment this year, but a buddy has tabled the idea of touring the route, so that's also an option - more time for appreciating the scenery!

On the road, my favourite has gotta be Victoria Road heading in to Cape Town, especially when Clifton and Lion's Head comes into view.  Off-road, I reckon the climb to the blockhouse from the Mill is seriously underrated.

Ah, here we go:

20070404_044138_TB2006s.jpg

Beginning the descent from Bergplaas (top of Mother of all Climbs) the next morning.

And while I'm uploading pics, here's some wildlife I saw on Devil's Peak a couple of months ago:20070404_044604_puffie.jpg

Ini-Kaap: The road between Rooiels and Gordon's Bay (and back again), then up the hill to Pringle Bay.

In Gauteng: Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve - very little traffic, the occasional wildlife and of course the downhills after each climb.

And last but by no means least: Nelspruit, White River, Sabie and Grapskop - all the road joining these towns.
Frosty2007-04-04 04:57:25

Drove backup on Transbaviaans last year....loads of fun. My team came in around 3am. Awesome event.

Went through the kloof again in Jan on our way back from Transkei. Well worth the detour.

Might actually ride the race this year....not sure if i'm crazy/fit enough Ermm

PLEASE lemme know when you planning on going' date=' amateur!!! it's on my to-do list!
[/quote']

There are quite a few people that would like to do it before it gets tarred, so we are maybe looking at putting a nice little group together and doing it over a weekend. Sometime when there is snow if we can still.

I will try get info on when they are trying to tarr it and then maybe we can organise a hubbers group outing. We will need to get some support vehicle 4x4 organised though so anyone who has one that will volunteer their services, would be great!!

amateur2007-04-04 05:31:42

There are quite a few people that would like to do it before it gets tarred' date=' so we are maybe looking at putting a nice little group together and doing it over a weekend. Sometime when there is snow if we can still.

I will try get info on when they are trying to tarr it and then maybe we can organise a hubbers group outing. We will need to get some support vehicle 4x4 organised though so anyone who has one that will volunteer their services, would be great!!

[/quote']

Hey amateur,

Please keep us posted on this. I would be very interested. Not saying I can definitely make it work but will definitely try.

Thanks Smile

...Please keep us posted on this. I would be very interested. Not saying I can definitely make it work but will definitely try.

What he said!

The route from Kromdraai around the cradle of humankind must one of the best places to ride - You see more animals then cars. Rode there two weeks ago and passed a group of babons, 3 Pomba's (wild pigs) plent buck and 2 Rhino's eating away about 100m from the road.

And then you also get to see many cyclist training there too Big%20smile