2010 Argus Cycle Tour & Giro del Capo

Drinks@Brawn

Boyes drive is cool, aside from the flat I had there last year. Separates those who are going to work from the passengers without being too much of a strain for the funrider contingent. Bring it on I say!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

special finish chutes at Green Point, 10 years , 21, medals besides regular medal. Boys Drive and Chappies is CONFIRMMED. 

Guest colonel

Im glad its going over Boyes it makes the bunch smaller by the end of it and doesnt have so many passengers

?

Colonel what bunch were you in that it got smaller over Boyes???

Some of the VA's went missing and Im 100% sure that the other groups were smaller.

Boys Drive is not a problem but its very unlikely that it will be used as they almost done with the re-construction of the main road.

Yupp' date=' almost done with the 1st section, got two more 2 go!

Roadworks @ Hospital Bend and Koeberg interchange will be done before world cup. I dont understand what's taking so long down in Kalk Bay.

And lets not even start talking about Chappies. Angry
[/quote']

Didnt someone post on the hub that the contractors werent getting paid and that was the reason chappies wasnt getting done?

Any pointers for a newbie cyclist and first-time Argus-rider?

Enjoy the ride of course!

Don't over exert yourself at the begining, find a group of the same pace to ride with, or just go solo and take it as it goes.. I never take it too seriously in terms of training etc, and one the many thousands that are just happy to finish without keeling over with a cardiac up Smitwinkels.

This year was af-kuk though big time, esp. going up Boyes in that wind, when I didnt know what to expect, and the wind made it very hard for the casual rider to ride in slip-stream groups. It was also the first time I ever had to use my granny gear to go down a hill! (road to Camps Bay)? ?

I have no problem with Boyes... I used to ride it so often before I went back to MTB that, to be honest, it was nothing more than a road with a view. And a couple of very nice descents.

As for Chappies - Please please please let it be open! The Tour just ain't the Tour without it...

chappies please !!!!

boyes drive, wouldn't mind going over it and actually seeing what it's like, in stead of stressing about handling the tandem in that wind!

Boys Drive is not a problem but its very unlikely that it will be used as they almost done with the re-construction of the main road.

Roadworks @ Hospital Bend and Koeberg interchange will be done before world cup. I dont understand what's taking so long down in Kalk Bay.

[/quote']

Didnt someone post on the hub that the contractors werent getting paid and that was the reason chappies wasnt getting done?

I'm not sure about the contractors, but what I do know, as per an interview on 567 Cape Talk, the operators of Chappies receive R2 000 000 a month, regardless of if it is open or not.  That is actually quite shocking.

I am not sure about the R2mil they receive monthly, but what I heard is that in terms of the contract they get paid a fixed amount, which was based on projected income which would be generated by the tolling at the time the contract was signed. The income generated by the tolling is paid over to Government. Once the new tolling booths have been constructed this contract will lapse.

[/quote']

I'm not sure about the contractors, but what I do know, as per an interview on 567 Cape Talk, the operators of Chappies receive R2 000 000 a month, regardless of if it is open or not.  That is actually quite shocking.

I am not sure about the R2mil they receive monthly' date=' but what I heard is that in terms of the contract they get paid a fixed amount, which was based on projected income which would be generated by the tolling at the time the contract was signed. The income generated by the tolling is paid over to Government. Once the new tolling booths have been constructed this contract will lapse.   [/quote']

So basically, there is no incentive to open the road if the company is getting paid to do nothing.

Boyes Drive???

It's like having a piece of single track on the Argus route....what more can a MTBer ask for??Big%20smileBig%20smileDirt section, perhaps?

I am not sure about the R2mil they receive monthly' date=' but what I heard is that in terms of the contract they get paid a fixed amount, which was based on projected income which would be generated by the tolling at the time the contract was signed. The income generated by the tolling is paid over to Government. Once the new tolling booths have been constructed this contract will lapse.   [/quote']

So basically, there is no incentive to open the road if the company is getting paid to do nothing.

The latest from the newspapers is that the Minister has requested weekly updates from the contractors with regard to progress, so it is being closely monitored. Thumbs%20UpThe contractors are not doing nothing, they are collecting the tolling money for the Government and I think there is some maintenance responsibilities as well.Wink

Any pointers for a newbie cyclist and first-time Argus-rider?

Enjoy the ride of course!

Don't over exert yourself at the begining' date=' find a group of the same pace to ride with, or just go solo and take it as it goes.. I never take it too seriously in terms of training etc, and one the many thousands that are just happy to finish without keeling over with a cardiac up Smitwinkels.

This year was af-kuk though big time, esp. going up Boyes in that wind, when I didnt know what to expect, and the wind made it very hard for the casual rider to ride in slip-stream groups. It was also the first time I ever had to use my granny gear to go down a hill! (road to Camps Bay) 

Thanks!

These guys make me nervous - it seems that Boyce/Boys drive is hectic!! 
[/quote']