Camelbak. Prices and alternatives

FanieFiets

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK! Did my homework (thanks to all who contributed) and have made up my mind - I want a Camelback!

Now can someone tell me who stocks the widest range of models and who has the best prices in Johannesburg? Question

Just thought I'd pitch in here, apologies for the thread necromancy. I considered three packs recently: Salomon Raid Revo 15, Camelbak Mule and the Dakine Enduro.

- If I had the money I'd buy the Camelbak but it was unfortunately way over my budget.

- I liked the Dakine but after reading a comment about it's capacity in another thread I was loathe to order it from a website before actually having seen it.

- The Salomon turned out to be the perfect compromise for me in terms of price and features. It doesn't look quite as roomy as the Mule and it's bladder is probably inferior to the Mule's as well but it's a good option if you're on a tight budget.

I couldn't find some of the other packs mentioned in this thread (like the Dunlop) so I can't claim that these are the only three worth considering.  Sportmans' Warehouse do sell their own brand of hydration pack but I was underwhelmed with what you get for the price they ask.

vanmartin2007-05-25 02:53:36

You'll be happy with the Salomon.

Good Quality and the bladder also lasts and is quite tough. Mine is starting to show a bit of discolouration but nothing some Jik wont sort out.

mmm, I'd avoid jik.

I use Milton(think it's used to sterilise baby bottles) to clean my paddling drinking bags & it works well. Doesn't leave a taste.

I bought a Dunlop for the Krakadouw and it works. It does what has to do. It has enough space to pack what you need to pack and it's comfortable on my back. When I compare it to Camelbak - bladder of Camelbak seems better quality. Bladder opening of Dunlop smaller than CamelBak. Mouthpiece operates with a spring mechanism which has to be pushed  with tongue to open. Camelbak design seems better. But for the price (R249 at Game) it is more than I expected. Summary: Dunlop will do the job. Camelbak might last longer (my opinion), but that's what you would expect at more than double the price.

I am not so sure bout the Camel lastimg longer . Both my Dunlop packs , done a lot of miles , 4 years old , are still in one piece . Although not yellow anymore all the zips etc still working 100% .

• 8 months later...

Well I also got the Dunlop recently at R150 which is now, almost a year later almost three times less than the CAMELBAK which a friend also recently bought for R419. From my point of view being a rookie this is the better option. I don't want to spend too much now for equipment that might end up in the cupboard. I'm doing the Argus this year for the first time and was persuaded to get a hydrapack - but wasn't this initially invented for Mountain Bikes?

Thanks to you guys who tested and tried the Dunlop and gave a good report. I was concerned that I had maybe made the wrong choice, but am confident now.

I also had the Dunlop for a year and there is nothing wrong with it. But I did upgrade to the Camblebak cuz the only plus point it has is the bite value thingy, it's easier to get the juice out.

Fantjie, the Camelbak has the "cool" factor, but price wise (both the Camelbak AND the "parts") are high.  PM Dirt Rider, let him give you a description of his reservois (sp), which DOESN'T fit into a Camelbak and costs half the price.

Actually....listen to Daemon. The man knows what he's talking about.

Dakine is the sh*t!

Daemon.....have you seen their 'Trailbuilder' pack? It has loops and webbing to carry trailbuilding tools....gotta love it!