Rip-Off - Cajees Cycle Corner

knobblyman

I was in JHB for the 94.7 this weekend.  I needed to buy a tube and so I decided to go to Cajees. 

I just a bought a Kenda Long Value tube for a road bike which they charged me R70.00 for.  Yes that is right R70.00. 

I said to the guy that they made a mistake but he said that this what they normally go for.  I told him that I had bought other tubes like this for around R45 and that he was ripping me off.  He was absolutely not interested in discussing this further.

Bike shops like these need to be avoided as they give cycling a bad name and prohibit people from entering the sport.

So, how many other people have they ripped off????!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices will be better from today onwards. Now you know how us vaalies feel when we come on holiday to your and other coastal cities.

They must have recognised your out of town accent... Next time just remember the vaseline when you travel to the big smoke...

That's bloody expensive. You can pick up tubes from R20-R30 from Makro or Sportsmans here in PE.

WTF? Seriously? Oh, wait, they're the same price at Makro and Sportman's here in JHB as wellWink

Bike shops like these need to be avoided as they give cycling a bad name and prohibit people from entering the sport.

So' date=' how many other people have they ripped off????!!!!
[/quote']

??????????

Crazy to moan after the event when you had the full discussion with them and went ahead and bought the tube anyway.  Now you want other people to avoid them when you didnt.

They dont give cycling a bad name and they dont stop people entering the sport.

They didnt even rip you off, they just charged you a lot for a tube, to which you agreed.

Other than that, its a fairly sensible post.

Long valve conti race 28 tubes cost R60 (Tony Impey) with 40mm valves at R40 each.

you weren't too hard done by, Cajees is one of the few shops you must NEVER take the marked price as the be all and end all, they usually like to negotiate a little, and have always dropped this inflated price when I threaten to go to CRC or elsewhere...

My experience with Cajees, small items like tubes are high priced but you can get some great prices on complete bikes. Maybe that is the business plan, attract custom with the bike prices and jack up the price of accessories. blanc2009-11-16 04:38:03

Uhm...

They can charge what they want, you're under no obligation to buy their product. They can charge R500 a tube if they want to.

The problem is that they catch out the recreational cyclists which really irritates me, we know wat a tube should cost, they don't... one of the busiest bike shops in cape town is also probably the biggest rip off, but they happen to be in the right area so ppl go there without having the slightest idea they are being ripped off... I know there is no reason why they can't charge any price, but offering to "negotiate" marked prices just shows you are trying to scam the ppl who don't know any better while still catering for the more "educated" shoppers...

I'm placing a order for an extra Lion battery for my bike lite with them as they are the cheapest. Also got my Thule from them at R1500 cheaper than any other shop.

Should have used the expo to buy tubes, i got 4 cont ultragator tyres and 2 tubes for under R1000.

This is proof that you need to shop around.

It is a bit of a bugger when you don't know the area, but thzat happens to us (as Man Frog pointed out) when we get down to you guys neck of the woods.