GN Cycling

Diesel

Spinnekop' date=' good suggestion and I wish you luck in convincing the Tshwane Traffic Department to close their roads once a months for a cycle race. Good idea but a pipe dream.
[/quote']

But why can the runners achieve / organise this?? ?Ermm

Running races have to make the same application Spinnekop, perhaps they are just more pro-active than the cycling fraternity?

Often races are organised by more than one club and each club will help with marshalls, raising capital etc, but it is odd that a cycling race costs R100.00 upwards, where as a running race may cost R60.00 odd and you get a T-Shirt, Medal and all the same refreshments,............ actually there are usually more water tables at a running race as we dont carry our own.

Porky, this is not odd at all. A Marathon is 42,2 km in length. The "slug" passing through the area affected is so much more compact and slower. A cycling race is 100km plus with the shorter races many times on other routes. The whole effect of the faster speeds and longer race demands more traffic officers present for traffic control. The cost difference mostly lies in the procurement of these services.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Interesting discusions taking place. I am the secretary of GN Cycling and all i can say about these acquisitions that's being made, because it is clear that most of the people that are responding here are not aware of the facts regarding GN Cycling.

I will appreciate if anybody that have any questions regarding cycling in Gauteng North rather contact the GNC office and refrain from spreading messages that is not giving facts.

The chairman hereby invite anybody that have questions to contact him directly he is prepared for open discussion and positive critisim. He is definitly not prepared to go in to public discussion regarding untrue statements as made by some contributors to this forum.  

Problem is that cyclists were taken for a ride by the organizers.  To pay R110 for a 28km ride (thanks Rooiwal!!!) is crazy.  Or R80 for a 40km with a *** medal and some hot coke at the turnaround point (Vanderbijl).  That is what killed the local races' date=' get rich quick schemes!

But the other side (as per fyndraai).  Cyclists expected to pay R40 for 40km, but get full road closure, etc, which is impossible!
[/quote']

Ewep which race charged you R 110 for a race at Rooiwal. Seems like a bull statement you are making.

Give me a race every month at the Union buildings early on a Saterday or Sunday morning.  Parcial road closure with a R70 entry fee' date=' no water tables, invite the family to come watch the circuit racing...

Make it a R100 win in each cat and winner of most points over 5 races wins a frame.  Make it individual so that clubs can compete within.....

I'm in.....Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

Spidey only possible in a dream world. City council very very reluctant to grant authority for traffic. Traffic bill is huge. Every intersection has to be manned by traffic officers [who also do not pitch for duty].

Cannot close any roads due to residential traffic. Lap racing only appeal to certain cyclists and you will not get huge numbers entering.

All the aspects of having a race.

Problem 1 = timing cost.

To rent the equipment costs R 6500. If you are lucky R 5000 of this amount will be sponsored by the timing company.

Timing per entrant amounts to R9.

Organisers have to pay for a minimum of 300 riders.

That means if only 150 riders enter the event and you receive the R5 000 sponsorship the costs will be as follows:

TIMING EQUIPMENT HIRE R 6500

SPONSORSHIP          - R 5000

300 X R9               R 2700

BALANCE               R 4200

BALANCE / 150 ENTRIES   R 28 PER ENTRY FOR TIMING ALONE

Now start adding the rest of the costs. R 10 a medal etc.

Makes you think

Die probleem hier is daar is geen kommunikasie van GN bestuur af nie. Daar is veronderstel om vergaderings op 'n gereelde grondslag gehou te word, maar klubs word nie daarvan verwittig nie. Ons weet nie eers of dit nog gehou word nie.

?

Attie het al hoeveel mails na hulle toe gestuur, maar geen terugvoer gekry nie.

Absoluut nonsens. Website www.gnc.co.za. Kry retief se sel nommer.

Bel en vind uit wanneer is vergaderings en woon dit by.

Kalender vergadering was onlangs gehou en omtrent 7 uit meer as 40 klubs het bygewoon. 3 KLUBS WAS VAN POLOKWANE EN VERDER.

Spinnekop' date=' good suggestion and I wish you luck in convincing the Tshwane Traffic Department to close their roads once a months for a cycle race. Good idea but a pipe dream.
[/quote']

?

But why can the runners achieve / organise?this?? ?https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley24.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Ermm" />

Running is a total different sport. Runners move along at a snails pace compared to cyclists and is therefore easier to stop at an intersection if needed. I want to see anyone safely stopping a cycling bunch of 150 riders travelling along at 50 km/h.

It is also a definite fact that the provincial traffic authority in Gauteng North has a dislike in cycling.

Problem is that cyclists were taken for a ride by the organizers.  To pay R110 for a 28km ride (thanks Rooiwal!!!) is crazy.  Or R80 for a 40km with a *** medal and some hot coke at the turnaround point (Vanderbijl).  That is what killed the local races' date=' get rich quick schemes!

But the other side (as per fyndraai).  Cyclists expected to pay R40 for 40km, but get full road closure, etc, which is impossible!

[/quote']

Ewep which race charged you R 110 for a race at Rooiwal. Seems like a bull statement you are making.

Ou boela, me and the wife (toe sy nog gery het) went there.  The 28km was R40p/p, and then the additional R15p/p for a temporary GN license.  O ja, and then the drive from Kempton, the beer and chow afterwards, etc, etc.

All the aspects of having a race.

Problem 1 = timing cost.

To rent the equipment costs R 6500. If you are lucky R 5000 of this amount will be sponsored by the timing company.

Timing per entrant amounts to R9.

Organisers have to pay for a minimum of 300 riders.

That means if only 150 riders enter the event and you receive the R5 000 sponsorship the costs will be as follows:

TIMING EQUIPMENT HIRE R 6500

SPONSORSHIP          - R 5000

300 X R9               R 2700

BALANCE               R 4200

BALANCE / 150 ENTRIES   R 28 PER ENTRY FOR TIMING ALONE

Now start adding the rest of the costs. R 10 a medal etc.

Makes you think

I wonder what Spectrum Sport charges for their timing.  Anyone knows?

Often races are?organised by more than one club and each club will help with marshalls, raising capital?etc, but it is odd that a cycling race costs R100.00 upwards,?where as a running race may cost R60.00?odd and you get a T-Shirt, Medal and all the same refreshments,............ actually there are usually more water tables at a running race as we dont carry our own.

?

?

Running race = 2000+ entries. Big sponsors supplying the t shirts. Coke sponsored.

The question is do you want to race or do you enter races to get freebie t shirts, coke goodie bags etc.

Running race = 2000+ entries. Big sponsors supplying the t shirts. Coke sponsored.

And cycle organisers cant organise this???Ermm

The question is do you want to race or do you enter races to get freebie t shirts' date=' coke goodie bags etc.[/quote']

I can go race at Velo and buy a Oakley shirt, 'n 2l coke and a goody bag for under R150.00.

So why would I pay so much to race??Ouch

Hi Fyndraai, was so pas op gnc.co.za sorry man kry geen datum vir die volgende vergadring nie. Het well n cool atvertensie van Teazer gesien. GTchick, noem maar net wat almal oor praat. Al die GN lede wat ek ken is baie ongelukkig oor stand van sake, die volgende vergadering is ? En die algemene jaar vergadering ? 

Ek het n voorstel ! Inplaas dat al die verskillende klubs hulle ding doen, dat ons een maal n maant bymekaarkom, die wenner kry n hout blok met n brass plaatjie op. Ons soek nie water tafels en t hemde nie ?

Wil net teen mekaar "Race" !!! 

Ou boela' date=' me and the wife (toe sy nog gery het) went there.  The 28km was R40p/p, and then the additional R15p/p for a temporary GN license.  O ja, and then the drive from Kempton, the beer and chow afterwards, etc, etc.
[/quote']

Ewep jy praat mos nou pure bollie.

[quote name=Spinnekop

I can go race at Velo and buy a Oakley shirt' date=' 'n 2l coke and a goody bag for under R150.00.

So why would I pay so much to race??Ouch

[/quote]

Jy rook serious goed.