GN Cycling

Diesel

Not once in the last 3 years did we know ahead of time that there will be interprov's taking place so that we can enter a team. In fact as far as I know every time the GN one were cancelled.

Last year or the year before, we signed a vote of no confidence in the GN chairman, he was replaced by Retief, and things got even worse. I shiver to imagine how bad things will get if we replace him again....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehmmmm Ewep... die Vaal is in die Suide' date=' nie Gauteng Noord nie....[/quote']

My BAD!!!  Sorry.  Pls see BigBens post above! (new baby in the house, teething problems, BAIE min slaap, baie moeg).

ewep2007-06-26 02:06:10

Ewep - yip it can be a tough time when they are at that age! Hang in there it gets better, sleep whenever you can (even if it's at work!).

Guest Big H

As I said in my previous posting, I have been out of race management for 2 and a half years now. Maybe I am not in contact with recent developments. During the time we organised and managed races there was NO big money making. Where would the big money you all blab your mouths off about go to. There is not enough profit to be made to make anybody rich and a club is a non profitable organisation. That is a ridiculous assumption to make and typical of somebody who has NO idea whatsoever what it takes to organise and hold a successfull event. At the time when I left the greatest portion of a budget was spent on providing the traffic officials who was present at major intersections and on busy roads. The services by them was to say the least poor but they would not allow races without their presence. One must remember that they "work" on overtime during these races. How many of you can remmeber me managing the intersection at the main road from Orighstad/Strydom tunnels just outside Tzaneen during the Agatha stage of the 2005 TTT ???? This verrry busy intersection was managed by me on myself while the coppers were fast asleep in their Golf or chatting up taxi drivers!!!!!!! Most of the races you menstion Diesel were closed by the Traffic Department due to safety concerns or locals complaining. BMW, SAMCOR etc come to mind. The cost just escalates as the race route goes through different traffic departments. It is also more expensive than road running due to the lenght of a cycle race.

All I can say to the people that sit in their armchairs critising or arranging own rides that is killing local cycle races get involved and give something back to cycling.

Spinnekop, good suggestion and I wish you luck in convincing the Tshwane Traffic Department to close their roads once a months for a cycle race. Good idea but a pipe dream.

Guest Big H

So RABUBI gaan jy staan vir Voorsitter, dit klink of jy al die sleg raaksien en dus 'n baie beter een sal kan wees. Big H2007-06-26 02:19:17

Have to disagree a little Rabubi, the GN management voted into place last year has been substantially more competent that the ones before...

Crux, miskien kyk jy uit 'n ander oogpunt uit daarna, maar ek kan dit nie agterkom die huidige bestuur beter is nie. Met Gauteng Noord champs het hulle nou nie juis geskitter nie...

This is not a hijack!!!

BigH, mooi om jou weer te sien hier op die Hub!!! Bly jy, of kuier jy net!!!

Spinnekop' date=' good suggestion and I wish you luck in convincing the Tshwane Traffic Department to close their roads once a months for a cycle race. Good idea but a pipe dream.
[/quote']

But why can the runners achieve / organise this?? ?Ermm

Spinnie very good suggestion!!!(how's the hand feeling??)

It's kind of cool....slowly turning blue......

I'm thinking spidy is turning from red to blue (Black?) LOLLOL

The moment something falls off, I will make an appointment at the doc. Big%20smile

Neem die leiding en kontak Magnolia of een van die groot klubs en vind uit hoe hulle dit doen. Miskien omdat hardloop nie 'n elitist sportsoort is nie??????

Well, Rashide gets it right for the Tswane Classic, once a year. He is also a member of the Tswane/Pretoria Business Chamber.   

Running clubs put the request in just like everyone else has to. Sport Vendo does a lot of the "paper work" and behind the scenes stuff.

The problem with GN races is road closure. It doesnt matter who is the chairman. The traffic dept is the one to blame. A few years ago there were many cops sorting out traffic at races, but now they are all at the doughnut shop counting bribes.

The sollution: Get GN to merge with Military Cycling. They have an excellent kermesse venue in w**kershill that can be closed by the MP's wit only a day's notice.

If road closure is problem, then Crits or "Kermesse" may be a solution. Close a Makro Parking lot on a Sunday Afternoon for cycling heaven......

Spinnekop' date=' good suggestion and I wish you luck in convincing the Tshwane Traffic Department to close their roads once a months for a cycle race. Good idea but a pipe dream.
[/quote']

But why can the runners achieve / organise this?? ?Ermm

Running races have to make the same application Spinnekop, perhaps they are just more pro-active than the cycling fraternity?

Often races are organised by more than one club and each club will help with marshalls, raising capital etc, but it is odd that a cycling race costs R100.00 upwards, where as a running race may cost R60.00 odd and you get a T-Shirt, Medal and all the same refreshments,............ actually there are usually more water tables at a running race as we dont carry our own.