BEST MTB SADDLE

Windhond

I until recently had an ultimate cool saddle on my MTB. The thing was so light it made a helium baloon feel heavy. But it all comes with a price, it started chowing by ass on longer rides. Then I saw the light and fitted a FIZIK GOBI, man this is it, I even want to sit on it and watch TV. Here is the question I would like to ask from other hubbers.

IN YOUR OPINION WHAT IS THE BEST MTB SADDLE AVAILABLE?

Oh ghosh, I dont know anymore, I use to rave about my new FZIK- Tundra but Since I did my cedreberg excursion with a 15kg backpack, im not so sure anymore, I dont know if it was the backpack or the 6-7 hours spent in the saddle, or the 40' plus heat, but my whole lowerbody went numb after about 4 hours, then Id get up to take pressure off and when the feeling returned It hurt all over again when I sat down.. vicious circle..

Brooks B-17. Half a kilo of cow certainly wouldn't make a weigh weenie blush with envy. These saddles are renowned for having to be broken in....this one wasn't bad off the bat but took a few rides to break in, has to be covered when riding in the rain...needs special hide feed every few months....a lot of admin but man it's comfy. I'm even thinking of putting it on my other bike for Argus on Sunday.

20100312_022522_On_One_5.jpg

Depends on what you want I guess...

Me? Well, I like a MTB racing saddle! Had the Gobi which was a flipping good saddle...BUT, the Selle Italia SLR XC is lighter and harder and a truck load more racy than the Gobi...So for what i require in a saddle, the Selle Italia wins! Everytime!

so youre saying I shouldnt expect my Tundra racing saddle to be comfy on a 2 day 220km solo cederburg expedition with a 15kg backpackEmbarrassed

How come this never ocured to me...

I think it's all much of a muchness - whatever works for you. Get the height, position and angle right and I think any saddle can be comfy enough.

I like the WTB Devo - nice and light, quite hard, and quite comfy. Got it on both of my MTBs.

so youre saying I shouldnt expect my Tundra racing saddle to be comfy on a 2 day 220km solo cederburg expedition with a 15kg backpackEmbarrassed

How come this never ocured to me...

Sorry to hijack a bit, where are you going in the Cedarberg? Doing some camping out there then?

I had the standard Merida x-mission saddle which chomped my backside and left scars...virtually.

Then i got the Gobi and life is much better.  More time in the saddle, no purple or red marks on my butt after a ride.  Propably one of my better investments. 

I've always bought saddles on looks, wtf is it with you pansies, f**king ride your bikes and your @$$ will get use to it?!?!

Brooks B-17. Half a kilo of cow certainly wouldn't make a weigh weenie blush with envy. These saddles are renowned for having to be broken in....this one?wasn't bad off the bat but took a few rides to break in' date=' has?to be covered when riding in the rain...needs special hide feed every few months....a lot of admin but man it's comfy. I'm even thinking of putting it on my other bike for Argus on Sunday.

?

20100312_022522_On_One_5.jpg
[/quote']

I like that a lot - where do you get them in JHB. The seat that is - i know the frames are from Kiwi.

planet x

basically a fizik gobi at 1/10th the price.

did 53 hrs riding in 6 days with a 10kg pack and my rear end survived the tale in one piece. (including one day of 13.5hrs)