Do we just accept and carry on?

Trubie

I gather from Andrew Mclean's twitter that it was two guys with guns.  I guess this is the  work of  a syndicate, this looks  like organised crime.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Brazil police with automatic rifles attend XC races to prevent bikes being stolen - check picture:

20100508_164250_P1050249.jpg

No, no ATM - they are actually there to protect us during the race! Here is another photo.

20100509_064345_P1050250.jpg

yep one place where i think crime beats SA, or at least equals

sometimes one need to get on a plane and get around to realise our problems are not unique

at least their police shows up and are visibly trying to do something, not like our "force"

Ok heres my question for anyone who may know, because this is getting out of hand.

There must be a market for stolen hand bikes. There is no way in hell that the okes are stealing these bikes and then selling them to randoms for a few hundred bucks. These bikes are worth thousands, and in my opnion are definately being sold to people who know what they are buying.

Are there tracking units for bicycles??

There must be someway to set up an operation with a tracking device in a bike and see where they're taking them?

Only way I can see for them to get rid of the bikes is like a 'chop-shop' - split it up and sell as parts, not complete bike.

These bikes goes across the border . From what I have seen a LOT nakes their way into Mozambique . I cross the border a lot with my bike on the back and never has any questions been asked .

I saw a bird riding on cedar torwards that funny 4 way stop at Diepsloot all by her loner yesterday afternoon... Hope she made it home allright.

Eblockwatch is taking action to look after cyclists.

Eblockwatch Cycle Support Hotline 0822360015.

This will now link up to our support network.

I suggest we get security on motorbikes ready to react.

Test phase.

Cycling club calls for action from police

Zaida Gangat | 7 Hours Ago

The Cycle and Mountain Bike Club on Sunday called for police investigations into a spate of attacks on their members.

Eight cyclists were held up at gunpoint on Saturday and robbed of their valuables near Diepsloot.

Similar attacks have been reported in recent weeks around Johannesburg.

However, the cyclists have accused officials of turning a blind eye to the attacks. 

The club?s president Neil Fraser said police need to step in.

?Unfortunately the police are, in our experience, unsympathetic. They regard it as rich people?s toys being stolen and don?t really respond appropriately. I don?t think enough action is being taken,? he said.

We have set up a safety support service for cyclists.

This service is exclusive to cyclists. The support group are fellow cyclists. Please do not sign up here as this will frustrate the support group who assist cyclists only. Please forward this email to fellow cyclists as the registration on this email places them in the cyclist loop.

What?

?        This is a speed dial on your cell phone

?        When you press your speed dial a panic alert sms is sent to your 4 preselected support members as well as a panic reaction team of concerned cyclists

?        They phone you to find out how they can assist

?        Eblockwatch can assist by tracking your phone in an emergency

?        You can give friends and family permission to locate your phone*.  Please note that this needs to be set up before it can be used. If you want to make use of this set it up as soon as possible so it is ready when you need it.

?        The support service costs R30 per month and is deducted from your prepaid airtime or contract on a monthly basis.**

*They need to be eblockwatch members to make use of this functionality.  They need not be paying members.

** In the case of prepaid cell phones you need to have at least R6 airtime available when you use your speed dial.  This is for the panic alert sms costs.

How to register

Click here to register*

You will need to enter your address details and the names and cell phone numbers of 4 people who love you

* If you are already an eblockwatch member then please rather click here to login on eblockwatch website.  This is a once-off action that will make you part of the cyclists support network.

When?

Now.

There is no time like to present to enable your support network to assist you when you need it.

Please note that this service does not replace the SA emergency services.  You still need to contact them for immediate assistance and to report a crime.  This service alerts your 4 support members as well as a panic reaction team that can assist you.

Kind Regards
The eblockwatch team
Ricky Bobby2010-05-10 00:16:59

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/8-kort-n%C3%A1-mekaar-beroof-20100509

8 kort n? mekaar beroof

Vyf fiets- en drie motorfietsryers is eergisteroggend kort n? mekaar op dieselfde plek by Pretoria oorval en van hul selfone, geld en fietse beroof.

Twee gewapende rowers wat in die lang gras langs ?n grondpad in Hoekplaats, suidwes van die stad, geskuil het, het die agt mans van hul vervoermiddels gedwing en hulle met draad vasgebind.

Mnr. Deon Cilliers (39) van Lonehill in Johannesburg, wat saam met vier ander fietsryers van die Cycle Lab-fietsryklub oorval is, het gister ges? die rowers was baie kalm en doelgerig.

?Ons was op ?n oefenrit en het oudergewoonte di? steil bult aangedurf omdat dit goeie oefening is,? het Cilliers ges?.

Op pad boontoe het drie motorfietsryers hom verbygesteek.

?Naby die bokant van die bult hetek een van die motorfietsryers op sy maag op die grond sien l?. Net daarna het ?n gewapende rower in die pad gespring en ?n silwer rewolwer op my en my vriend gerig.

?Die rower het ges? ons moet stil wees en kalm bly. Hy en nog ?n rower het ons langs die drie motorfietsryers op ons mae laat l? en ons hande styf agter ons r?e vasgebind.

?Drie minute later het hulle die volgende fietsryer en ?n minuut later die laaste twee fietsryers ook oorrompel.?

Die rowers het hul selfone afgeneem.

?Een van die fietsryers se regterhand is klein en half gebreklik en daarom kon hy homself en toe vir ons loswikkel.?

Die motorfietsryers, wie se motorfietse deur die rowers agtergelaat is, het die fietsryers opgelaai en ?n polisievoertuig voorgekeer.

Die fietsryers wie se name Cilliers ken, is mnre. Simon Murray en Greg en Michael von Holtz.

?Ons hoor elke liewe naweek van nog ?n fietskaping; dit moet stopgesit word,? het hy ges?.

Kapt. Agnes Huma, polisiewoordvoerder, het ges? die waarde van die gesteelde goed, insluitend die vyf fietse, beloop sowat R200 000.

Mnr. Andr? Snyman, hoof van eblockwatch, ?n nasionale selfoonnetwerk teen misdaad, het ges? eblockwatch is besig om ?n nasionale hulplyn vir fietsryers te stig.

?Ons het die laaste tyd agtergekom al hoe meer fietsryers word gekaap en het besluit om ?n nasionale ondersteuningstelsel vir fietsryers op die been te bring.

Fietse het geen opsporingstoestelle in soos baie motors nie en dit is baie makliker om ?n gesteelde fiets te verkoop,? het Snyman ges?.

?Van die fietse kos tot R65 000, dus is dit ?vinnige geld? vir die misdadigers.

?Dit is ook baie makliker om ?n fiets weg te steek of daarmee weg te kom as ?n motor.?

Snyman het ges? eblockwatch gaan sy fietsryer-lede van ?n paniek-reaksiediens op hul selfone voorsien en sal voortaan op Saterdae veiligheidsmaatskappye kry om te help om gewilde fietsroetes in Gauteng te beveilig.

Huma vra enigeen met inligting om die Erasmia-polisie te bel by 012 370 1777.