Do we just accept and carry on?

Trubie

LOL

to get back to the point

at the end of the day' date=' its only a bike...even thought its our pride and joy. we always say what we will do when some one tries to take it but when it comes to that point it wont realy matter, be brave and see ur ass, or let them take the bike and see ur loved ones back at home, besides, what are the insurance companies for anyway???
[/quote'] 

If the transaction was polite with no violence preceeding it, several people may be in agreement with you. The sad reality is that alot of the these affirmative shoppers shoot first and dont ask questions.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fear enough, ive been at gun point in a robbery(not my bike), not nice, but lived to tell the storie

Interesting if not comical scenario' date=' rider gets stopped by a armed thug  with gun leveled at him, rider says hang on a minute, reaches into his back pocket and pulls out pepper spray then attempts to spay thug. Any guesses as to outcome ??

[/quote']

Rather stupid keeping it in your pocket.

Anyway, what's the alternative? Better armed with pepperspray than nothing and of course your life is worth more than a bike, but the point is I don't want to live in fear. Been there, done that, made me sick.

Use your judgement, if they have a gun i would oblige as these guys are already  hyped and any move they consider a threat they will shoot, anything else such as a knife or stick i will use whatever  means including using my bike to defend myself.

Maybe we should start a fund to get some extra bikes to give to the overwheight mcdonald eating cops, so they can patrol the routes looking for these Sh@#$@theads.

At the same time they can actually get fit and loose a bit of wheight.

Unfortunately the violence is what most of us are afraid of.  My girlfirend and I are new to the sport and we rode northern farms sat and sun.

I am not worried about my bike but her safety - anything can happen in those fields.

If I was riding alone I would probably fight back becasue I am so pissed off with never feeling safe.  But as soon as there is someone else with you it changes the dynamics. 

Fighting back is not the answer as we are just reacting, we need to be proactive and prevent them accessing us. 

Can we not put in a proper perimetre fence? Instead of those 4 wires  about a metre high?

Yes it may cost money, but I will pay extra to ride if I know I will be more safe.

If this is a stupid idea and cant be done, apologies I am a newbie MT biker.

Shoot the F**&^%ers' date=' at least this way we got rid of the scum for now on Ondekkers road.  [/quote']

This is the 1st time I agree with you! Must be why the weather's gone all wonky!

Take 5 or 6 armed guys and go look for these f.ckers - their m/o is known. If they see anything suspicious, shoot the piece of **** and throw him to the hippo. If it wasn't one of them, tough shi1t - collateral damage... You'll get the real ones soon enough.

This whole scenario sucks big time. It just brought back some memories again. I have been robbed at knife point by two alternative shoppers a few years back. Scotty, if there are two or more and only you, its better to let go of whatever they want, in my case it was cellphone and wallet. I tried to fight back and gave the one oke a good klap and kicks but buddy came from behind and stabbed me. Pepper spray would have been good that day, so I'm gonne get me on of those that come on the key chain. They retail for around R80-00 if i;m not mistaken. Then just dont ride alone, pref 3 or more riders and be on the lookout. Cant do more than that.

Maybe even if all the guys at a certain location, get together, meet with who-ever is on control, and see wahat can be done to ensure maximum safety.

Where are the days when you could still go up Fort Klapperkop on your own without fear of being hijacked?

Where are the days when you could still go up Fort Klapperkop on your own without fear of being hijacked?

Those days died in '94...

Guest Big H

Maybe one can mount the pepper spray with a Phazer to your helmet...... I wunder if it will work!!!!!! Fire it with a remote from your handlebars...... You will also be able to use the Phazer if a stoopid guy on a MTB does not want to give way on the trail!!!!!!!

As usual the victims will be called upon do their part. Ride in bigger groups' date=' don't ride here or there, create policing groups and on and on and on. It's the same with crime in our suburbs. I put up a high spiked fence, I install an expensive alarm, I pay radio control room, I pay armed response, I stand guard over the cars parked at my house during my wifes classes, I watch my neighbors house but when somebody in my street gets killed we're told that the community should get involved to solve crime. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY #$@# TAX MONEY! Should the government not be doing something or am I mistaken? [/quote']

/

You have no gauruntee they are just going to take your bike and let you go, Im with CPTMayhem, spray them shock them ffs I am tired of working my ass off to afford a decent life while the goverment thinks affirmative shopping should just be a way of life in SA.

The last guy that pulled a knife on me is still trying to get full use of his knife hand and right arm. Its time we take control of our own lives.

Lol no matter how much dagga you smoke, how much glue you sniff and and how much alcohol you drink, do yourself a favour and go to your local security shop take some spray and give yourself a quautersecond spray just in front of your face. And you will realize how effective that stuff is. you can't see or breath. And two hours later your lips still burn.

Yes, pepper spray is very effective, if you use the right one. Mist spray might do you more harm than the attacker if the wind blows in the wrong way. Then you hope you manage to get to the spray quickly enough then able to point it in the right way and spray the guy all while trying to stop your bike. Now imagine while doing this, you loose control and crash/fall over, and you have pepper spray on you...I suspect they won't be easy on you. That said...for me personally it's better to at least try to defend yourself than just accept it and go on.

Yeah we need to do something, but, most of us live in security complexes, with  guards, have a alarms system with armed response, burglar bars on our windows, security gates, dogs etc. And then on a weekend you get bike-jacked, no imagine your riding with your girl/wife, and they rape her? Is it worth it to live like this? I am starting to think it's not...especially  if I loo at 1st world countries an their crime stats. I love my country, but do I love it enough to risk the safety of my family on it?

NO!! we do not Accept and Carry on!! Come on people, surely the saying our best defence is Offence???? We have been advertising our courses for Samurai cyclist, we really feel we can help you guys! Honestly we gaurantee our work , we will be at Northern Farms this weekend if you want to come and chat with us!!

What if pepperspray makes them just more de blixem in?????????

Have to agree. Is a bike really worth loosing your life over.

who said the gun is loaded, or is real. for all you know they are using a bb gun to rob you?

who said they will let you live if you dont fight back?

stop being so naive and fight back people!

some say; "just accept it" or "ride elsewhere"

i say; SCREW THEM! - TRY ME!

i ride with pepperspray and it WORKS!

it is permanently attached to my camelbak shoulder strap, easy to reach and use.

i have used it more than once in sticky situations;

a. two security guards who tried to rob me of my bike whilst i was shopping

b. attempted car hijacking whilst driving.

let me tell you, the offender goes down like a sack of potatoes (even if you dont get him directly in the eyes) because the pepper causes his throat to close up.

a friend used pepperspray on someone and the offender couldnt see/open his eyes a full week after the incident.

another friend stopped an attacker dead in his tracks with pepperspray when the offender tried to grab his wife's camera.

unlike a stungun, pepperspray can be used at a distance of up to 7m, so if the offender has a knife you dont have to get close to use it.

statistically it has a higher "stop-rate" than a fire arm

it is a worthwhile investment.

make sure to get the direct stream (not mist/fog).

i use SWAT because the design lets you grab it the right way first time without having to unlock complicated safety catches etc.

i practice grabbing and aiming my pepperspray while i ride, that way when i need it it becomes second nature.

i pitty the fool who takes me on (again) smiley7.gif

http://www.swat.co.za/about_us.html

http://www.swat.co.za/48ml_direct.html

20100503_055729_19.jpgkamikaze2010-05-03 06:09:03

What if pepperspray makes them just more de blixem in?????????

Have to agree. Is a bike really worth loosing your life over.

who said the gun is loaded' date=' or is real. for all you know they are using a bb gun to rob you?
who said they will let you live if you dont fight back?

stop being so naive and fight back people!

some say; "just accept it" or "ride elsewhere"
i say; SCREW THEM! - TRY ME!

i ride with pepperspray and it WORKS!
it is permanently attached to my camelbak shoulder strap, easy to reach and use.

i have used it more than once in sticky situations;
a. two security guards who tried to rob me of my bike whilst i was shopping
b. attempted car hijacking whilst driving.

let me tell you, the offender goes down like a sack of potatoes (even if you dont get him directly in the eyes).

it is a worthwhile investment.
make sure to get the direct stream (not mist/fog).
i use SWAT because the design lets you grab it the right way first time without having to unlock complicated safety catches etc.
i practice grabbing and aiming my pepperspray while i ride, that way when i need it it becomes second nature.

i pitty the fool who takes me on (again) smiley7.gif

http://www.swat.co.za/about_us.html
http://www.swat.co.za/48ml_direct.html

20100503_055729_19.jpg[/quote']

I have one on my camelbak and one in my car.

Unfortunately the one on the camelbak is rustedEmbarrassed....never had to use it in 2 years.Better replace it before it disintergrates while going down Sphincter HillDead

So if two/three/four guys with guns wait for you, jump you at a vulnerable time and demand your stuff, are you going to stop, open your Camelbck/reach back to your pocket, pull out your spray, aim and spray these two/three/four before they get the chance to fire off a round or two?  I think not...

Rather relax and let the testosterone and feeling of desperation dissipate and then think what you can do and play safe.  I know some big, tough guys who got hijacked and attacked in their own homes and they survived by playing it cool.  Don't take a knife/pepperspray to a gunfight.  Especially not if you are the unsuspecting would-be victim.  Just be careful.  Being reckless does not equate to being proactive!
Willehond2010-05-03 06:19:28

let me get this right ......... you guys want to use pepper spray in one of the windiest places in southern africa?? You will spray yourself and your mate plus 90% of everyone else except the bad guys.

This macho talk reminds me of my son who told me he got a new record in Modern Warfare by getting 30 'kills' in one online game.  Great, I said, but how many times did you die?  Well, only 16 times, he said...