Garmin - Yes or No

Vetseun

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

500 - HELL YES!!! R2600ish for the bundle including VAT from CRC if you get in on a group order that qualifies for the free postage

I've had a 305 for about 2 years and never a days problem.

But based on many posts, I think if you have the money, go for the 705

Personally I am not a fan of the 705, to big and bulky.

Unless you absolutely need GPS navigation the Edge 500 is awesome!

Edge 305 or Forerunner 305?

As others have said, stay away from the Edge 305 - it's old tech and the Edge 500 has the same (AFAIK) and more features and should also be cheaper.

The Forerunner 305 has ANT+ support for speed and cadence and power, but looks more multisport oriented than the pure cycling Edge 500.

Personally I am not a fan of the 705, to big and bulky.

Unless you absolutely need GPS navigation the Edge 500 is awesome!

No Voodoo drum (Tom Tom) available.............. mmmmmm???????

Nope as I said in the other post, Garmin lacks a lot with automobile units , but on the bike nothing beats the Edge 500... so far! But I am sure if TomTom had a Cycling specific unit there would be functions on there that Garmin never dreamed of!

I got the forerunner 305, never had a problem and i find it works well for me. i do abit of jogging and cycling. but if you want something for cycling and got the cash go with the 705.

I've used the Polar s725x and recently sold it and replaced with a Garmin 310xt. Would never go back to Polar. Garmin just so much easier to use and I find the web software a pleasure. Downloading via ANT+ on the garmin is a dream compared to the Polar. EASYGis (listed on Hub) gave me a FANTASTIC price on the Garmin (was only about R200 more than I could find online overseas).

Just my 2c

I also had a look at the 305, but the garmin batteries needs constant re charging, polar you replace after months and if it is the watch you can wear it,

Nope as I said in the other post, Garmin lacks a lot with automobile units , but on the bike nothing beats the Edge 500... so far! But I am sure if TomTom had a Cycling specific unit there would be functions on there that Garmin never dreamed of!

Garmin has a proven track record in all conditions. TomTom is only for soft suburban use.

I prefer an instrument that my life may depend on to be dependable.

Polar CS200 served me very well but the Garin Edge 500 is like a CS200 on steroids.

Garmin Edge 500 is easy to setup and the best motivational tool I've ever bought. Worth every cent.

The autolap setting is great for interval training, you can choose how long the intervals are before the ride.

I also had a look at the 305, but the garmin batteries needs constant re charging, polar you replace after months and if it is the watch you can wear it,

I look at it this way: I have to connect my Garmin to my PC to charge it (and download) after about 10-15hrs of riding (about once a week). When recording at 5s intervals with full data (Cad, HR, Alt, Dist) the Polar CS600 runs out of memory after about 18hrs. Whichever one I use, I'll have to connect it to my PC once a week, whether to download or recharge.