Spruit Rules

Peach.

Wow, you guys can bitch and moan. . . . .

this was suppose to be a civilised thread.

So basically, there are no rules, its a free for all and best man stays on his bike :lol:

- I agree with person going up has right of way, provided they are on the main path and not a jump line that has been built, its easier for the guy going down to go off for a bit, plus it gives us more stuff to dodge.

- On a flat section, both people keen left and go off the path if possible.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The man with the metal bike and payed up medical aid has right of way.

So that gives me right of way B) B)

Peaches, there is no bitching and moaning here, but you started this thread as you were annoyed, this same annoyance affects many of us, in the end of the day it boils down to mutual respect and tolerance, if we want to keep riding there, then behave.

There are no hard and fast rules about who has right of way - common sense has right of way. Courtesy has right of way. Respect has right of way.

Hard and fast rules would result in loads of hospital time and pseudo lawyers yelling at each other in your billable time.

Make a judgement call as to whether the other guy should go first based on logic rather than ego and everybody will be happy.

Well,let me become one of those peeps.

Your initial comment about going downhill as fast as possible, I find it such a macho thing to say, it get's used a lot, people use it to prove how tough they are or they try and bring a point across as to how well and how fast they can go downhill, often this attitude comes with a few side effects.

Total lack of tolerance for others on the trail, this includes slower riders, people with dogs, hikers etc. etc.......

It proves how tough and inconsiderate and without respect these "tough" and often out of control (because of lack of real skill)macho men really are.

The bottom line remains, the guys going uphill have right of way, so all the macho dudes who couldn't give a tit about losing a second or two by slowing down when they are out on their weekend FUN RIDE, think twice when you hear of a rider ending up in ICU for a week because he collided with a macho man.

If you want to go fast downhill then do it in a race where everyone is going in the same direction or at least display some tolerance and mutual respect.

I have been on the Spruit numerous times where these macho men have forced me out of the way because they are like a race horse with blinkers on.

Most of the time these dudes are weekend warriors with the helmet sitting so skew that either the left or the right hearing device get's squashed in to a cauliflower.

very true. this is like weekend warrior bikers - you know, the ones that cyclists love to bitch and moan about... the ones who say "i will ride fast because i can" and "what's the point of having a fast bike if i don't ride it fast" and "everyone else must f-off out my way because i'm on a fast bike and i will ride how i want to. AND then have the cheek to cry when they get hurt and hurt other people AND then they always blame the other people

Sorry guys, but the internationally accepted standard is those going up have right of way. and just because you want to be "mr cool" is not going to change that. and if you hurt someone (other cyclist, hiker, etc) it will be your fault. and no amount of screaming on your part will change that. and if you lack the conscience to accept that then again, that is YOUR problem.

ALSO, mtb'ers on public paths are actually required to yield to all other users of said path (hikers, joggers, bird watchers, etc) so you should not be going faster than your ability to stop in time for slower moving traffic. if you are going too fast to stop then maybe you should go and attend a skills course and learn how to do so as you are clearly a danger to yourself and everyone around you (so if you fall into this category please list your name here so that the rest of us know who to avoid ever sharing a path with)

I Agree with Dangle. Arkadion Regarding the Spruit what area are you referring to. I can only think of one and that is the hill from the Power station on Republic. If you have to brake when going down there for someone coming up and you feel disatisifed with your speed just turn around go up and do it again.

I also want to thank the Spruit Genies that have been hard at work fixing up the route over the last couple of weeks

There are no hard and fast rules about who has right of way

YYSW, except that convetion has developed that the rider going uphill has general right of way. Have a look at what the world thinks, folow the arguments and then go ahead and do the lawless thing if you still think that you are right.

Hey, I am not pedantic, you may be right. But be sure of your case when you injure someone. The courts WILL look at the facts.

http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Good luck

Well,let me become one of those peeps.

Your initial comment about going downhill as fast as possible, I find it such a macho thing to say, it get's used a lot, people use it to prove how tough they are or they try and bring a point across as to how well and how fast they can go downhill, often this attitude comes with a few side effects.

Total lack of tolerance for others on the trail, this includes slower riders, people with dogs, hikers etc. etc.......

It proves how tough and inconsiderate and without respect these "tough" and often out of control (because of lack of real skill)macho men really are.

The bottom line remains, the guys going uphill have right of way, so all the macho dudes who couldn't give a tit about losing a second or two by slowing down when they are out on their weekend FUN RIDE, think twice when you hear of a rider ending up in ICU for a week because he collided with a macho man.

If you want to go fast downhill then do it in a race where everyone is going in the same direction or at least display some tolerance and mutual respect.

I have been on the Spruit numerous times where these macho men have forced me out of the way because they are like a race horse with blinkers on.

Most of the time these dudes are weekend warriors with the helmet sitting so skew that either the left or the right hearing device get's squashed in to a cauliflower.

Dangle. Thank you for point that out to me. I clearly was completely out of line. Firstly I am not macho, nor tough. But I do like to ride fast on downhills. That is what is fun for me. If it is not fun for you, that is your thing, not mine.

What you miss, is that it is possible to ride fast AND be considerate. The total lack of tolerance that you talk about can just as easily be applied to those who ride slowly and whine about those who ride quickly. (I am not pointing fingers, but, if the shoe fits)

As for your comment about a lack of skill... How on earth do you expect anyone to develop any skill without pushing a little?

As usual, on the Hub, everyone is as rude and judgemental as they are on the trail.

Dangle. Thank you for point that out to me. I clearly was completely out of line. Firstly I am not macho, nor tough. But I do like to ride fast on downhills. That is what is fun for me. If it is not fun for you, that is your thing, not mine.

What you miss, is that it is possible to ride fast AND be considerate. The total lack of tolerance that you talk about can just as easily be applied to those who ride slowly and whine about those who ride quickly. (I am not pointing fingers, but, if the shoe fits)

As for your comment about a lack of skill... How on earth do you expect anyone to develop any skill without pushing a little?

As usual, on the Hub, everyone is as rude and judgemental as they are on the trail.

I take it you view my comment as rude and you have taken it personal, if the shoe fits............

You totally miss the point, the Spruit is a mutual public ground shared by many individuals, we go against the flow all the time in either direction, if someone wants to practice their skills then pick a quieter time or a different location, I have no fear of going fast on the downhills but I don't need to do it where a track is packed.

When I do my speed work, I normally do it at a location where there are very few other riders or horses for that matter (don't even get me started how riders outside our area piss the horse riders off)

This is the Spruit right? .... Why is there a whinge about right of way, it's a flat route with plenty open space for passing either way.

Common sense dictates move to your left for oncoming traffic.

And ya, international convention for non directional trails is that going up generally has right of way. Although given the terrain along the Spruit this hardly an issue.

Are Mondays seriously this bad? :huh:

Must be if you think the thread up to this point is indicative of anyone having an off day, it's a discussions forum and there has been a discussion.

To quote Mars Attacks:

President Dale: Why can't we work out our differences? Why can't we work things out? Little people, why can't we all just get along?

post-1604-071337800 1284366487.jpg

To quote Mars Attacks:

President Dale: Why can't we work out our differences? Why can't we work things out? Little people, why can't we all just get along?

Because then life would be simple and possibly a little boring.

The reason I started this thread was because a certain Spruit Genie/Gnome has done a huge amount of work on the spruit.

Cutting alternate lines off the main path which make it more fun and challenging for skilled riders.

A week ago another rider decided that he didn't like the jump that was built and proceeded to cut the lip off and make it a smooth bump, this didn't make the gnome very happy. . . .

And rules aside, 2 XC riders decided to ride up the landing of a hip jump and then stopped at the top of the take off to watch a rider coming straight for them, funny thing is they could see the rider was doing the jump line before they decided to ride it and then didn't even bother trying to move out of the way.