Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

Mine is done.

Maiden ride tomorrow

Momsen STR frame

SLX cranks and eggbeaters

Momsen stem Cannondale alu bar

Kept the 38 that came with the cranks x18 image.jpg

Crumbs. Unless you live the Karoo, I'm going to say you'll be swopping out the 38...

Beaut ride though.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crumbs. Unless you live the Karoo, I'm going to say you'll be swopping out the 38...

Beaut ride though.

Surely you, of all people, know that the the Karoo is many things, but flat is not one of them...  ;)

Surely you, of all people, know that the the Karoo is many things, but flat is not one of them... ;)

See. I knew someone would have a chirp...

Where's flat? Welkom?...

:D

Just did my maiden ride out of Durbanville Spes Bona to Silos and back over Occultdale and Koeberg rd back . 42 kms almost 400 m ascent and coped with 38 x18 . But worked on the hills !

Just did my maiden ride out of Durbanville Spes Bona to Silos and back over Occultdale and Koeberg rd back . 42 kms almost 400 m ascent and coped with 38 x18 . But worked on the hills !

And it's 400m ascent...

38 up front? No problem. Just stick a 19 or 20 out back.

Still changing ratios. Change the back, change the front... either way.

38 up front? No problem. Just stick a 19 or 20 out back.

Still changing ratios making it more manageable.

I actually wonder sometimes when I see a big ass blade on the front if said user is merely trying to look like a power rider and get validation from their mates .

Not trying to impress with the 38 . At 66 years old long past that . I got the 38 with the cranks so thought of trying to use it = saving money , and see how it goes . Was cheaper to get a few back sprockets to play around with .

But on that point , is 38 x18 not about the same as 32 x16 ? Two x one remains 2x1 ? Not ?

Not trying to impress with the 38 . At 66 years old long past that . I got the 38 with the cranks so thought of trying to use it = saving money , and see how it goes . Was cheaper to get a few back sprockets to play around with .

But on that point , is 38 x18 not about the same as 32 x16 ? Two x one remains 2x1 ? Not ?

That was not aimed at you, but then even a 32/16 is a mammoth task .

Kkkcycle swing past sometime. I have a Wolftooth 104bcd 32 you can have. :thumbup:

32x16 on a 29r will be tough.

Start with 32x18/ 32x20 (or a ratio of this)... 38x22 perhaps...

Or take Bogus One up on his offer of the 32 and use the 18  :thumbup: .

Thanks for all the input guys and for the kind offer BogusOne will take you up on it . I should perhaps stated my intentions earlier being that I do not intend doing anything like W2W or any of the Cape Trails with the SS ( at this stage ? ) I have a geared bike for those . My training routes in Durbanville and Prince Albert are flattish and that is where I intend using it .

But I like the simplicity .

I ran a 34-19 for days 1&2 of W2W race. For day 3 changed to 34-17. Did very little walking and placed ok.

However racing with everyone on those gears hurt for those 3 days. But hell it was super good fun.

You forgot to mention that you're fitter than most riders