Ocean eyewear

AndreZA

Just reviving an old thread for a quick  :clap:  :thumbup:  for Ocean Eyewear. 

Having lost my glasses last week after my wee tumble, I ordered some stuff off their website - since I wear prescription glasses and have a dodgy nose , I can't get off the shelf stuff to fit nicely.

Paid yesterday morning , stuff was delivered now from Dbn to Jhb.

Proper chuffed. 

I'm also a van of Ocean Eyewear,very good value for money,got a photocromic pair for cycling and a polarized pair for fishing.And they're more stylish than you would expect from 'a budget buy'.post-54774-1456248631,0668.pngpost-54774-1456248635,2466.jpg

• 6 months later...

I bought a pair of these at a shop in Tygervalley for R250 biggrin.gif... ok probably not the same model that parra bought but yes they are very nice :thumbup:

Hey Reg Lizard, I know this post was listed in 2010 but does the shop in Tygervalley still exist?

Geesh...I don't know, but if you are there...look around at those kiosks in the middle of the aisle near Edgars...think it was on the top level!

• 1 month later...

Been using the Q159A frame with photochromic transition lenses and prescription inserts for a few weeks now (pics below). Coming from two pairs of Oakley’s, I was pleasantly surprised at the awesome value that these offer. First ride was a proper fit-and-forget feeling due to their light weight and comfort. The only drawback is that Ocean photochromic lenses are not polarized (confirmed by the optometrist) and that they mist/steam up slightly (in all fairness, which sunnies are completely mist/steem proof anyway..).

I have read that polarized lenses are designed to reduce glare from highly reflective surfaces e.g. water (think of water sports eg. fishing) and cars (think of driving in traffic - glare from windows/bonnets). I ride mountain mostly and have yet to come across highly reflective or glossy surfaces on jeep track or single track… except of course if a Spez rider crosses my path..

I feel that the photochromic lenses could darken a bit more in bright sunlight but so far I really can’t complain. A night ride through mountain trails also turned out absolutely fine. Would appreciate if anyone can provide more insight on the drawbacks of using non-polarized lenses (for mountain biking specifically)? Other than wanting the lenses to darken a bit more, I really haven’t noticed any drawbacks. Unless I have missed something? Bear in mind I have not had much experience with really high end sports eye wear eg. Oakley or Rudy Projects @ R5k plus.

post-11091-0-41252000-1477918639_thumb.jpg

post-11091-0-93494400-1477918646_thumb.jpg

post-11091-0-54037600-1477918655_thumb.jpg

Been using the Q159A frame with photochromic transition lenses and prescription inserts for a few weeks now (pics below). Coming from two pairs of Oakley’s, I was pleasantly surprised at the awesome value that these offer. First ride was a proper fit-and-forget feeling due to their light weight and comfort. The only drawback is that Ocean photochromic lenses are not polarized (confirmed by the optometrist) and that they mist/steam up slightly (in all fairness, which sunnies are completely mist/steem proof anyway..).

I have read that polarized lenses are designed to reduce glare from highly reflective surfaces e.g. water (think of water sports eg. fishing) and cars (think of driving in traffic - glare from windows/bonnets). I ride mountain mostly and have yet to come across highly reflective or glossy surfaces on jeep track or single track… except of course if a Spez rider crosses my path..

I feel that the photochromic lenses could darken a bit more in bright sunlight but so far I really can’t complain. A night ride through mountain trails also turned out absolutely fine. Would appreciate if anyone can provide more insight on the drawbacks of using non-polarized lenses (for mountain biking specifically)? Other than wanting the lenses to darken a bit more, I really haven’t noticed any drawbacks. Unless I have missed something? Bear in mind I have not had much experience with really high end sports eye wear eg. Oakley or Rudy Projects @ R5k plus.

attachicon.gif20161029_084317_1477909408544_resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20161029_084233_1477909407918_resized.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-10-31 12.22.44.jpg

Polarized lenses and mountain biking do not go together - not at all - stick to unpolarized lenses for mtb and polarized for fishing.

Polarized lenses and mountain biking do not go together - not at all - stick to unpolarized lenses for mtb and polarized for fishing.

Why?  Just curious.  I have a polarized set of cycling glasses that I use for both Road and MTB. Have not experienced any problems ... yet.  Lenses too dark?

Why?  Just curious.  I have a polarized set of cycling glasses that I use for both Road and MTB. Have not experienced any problems ... yet.  Lenses too dark?

Sometimes you won't see things properly - so wet rocks sometimes look dry for instance (clearly this can lead to some line selection errors....) sometimes looking into shadows is difficult and a few other funnies that make you misjudge things a bit sometimes.

Photochromic glasses without the polarisation are the best (imho) - but if you go with lenses that go very dark, then you better make sure they respond quickly enough to changes from light to dark conditions - some of the cheaper photochromic lenses respond a bit slowly (this is not usually a big issue) but going from bright sunlight to shade conditions can be hazardous at speed - a medium lens is probably better than a super dark shade.

Been using the Q159A frame with photochromic transition lenses and prescription inserts for a few weeks now (pics below).

Are the prescription inserts an optional extra? And roughly how much did it cost for the lenses?

Photochromic lens technology and polarization don't go together. They are separate techs and you pick one or the other, depending on application. Agree with post above from doc, stick with photochromic lenses for MTB riding.