What road tyres

fandacious

I'm currently on Conti gator skins, but they're getting a bit thin. I must say they've been bullet proof. Should I stick with them or go for something else?

btw - the tyres are clinchers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No question for me, GP 4000's!! Still havnt found a better tyre.

(And for R230 a tyre @ Dave Wisemans in Durbs, you cannot go wrong!! - Ok its the yellow and orange ones, but for that price, who cares!) 

Don't change to anything else. Use Gator Skin (the best puncture resistant tyre available) for training and GP4000 for racing. 

My training wheels are my racing wheels, so i'm not going to swap wheels/tyres before every race. Also. it makes sense to have the puncture resitant wheels when racing. who cares if u puncture while training?

No question for me' date=' GP 4000's!! Still havnt found a better tyre.

(And for R230 a tyre @ Dave Wisemans in Durbs, you cannot go wrong!! - Ok its the yellow and orange ones, but for that price, who cares!) 
[/quote']

You can pick up gatorskins at cajees for R 175 per tyre, problem with coloured tyres are that they are more puncture prone and does not last as long

If you're going to race on them, then don't look any further then GP4000S <- must be the S (schnell) version, Black Chilli compound.

Apparently Conti are going to be doing all their tyres with the new Black Chilli compound but until then I've found the GP4000S's to be the closest feel to tubs of any tyre I've ridden.

They seem to roll faster and have that tub-like twitchy feel. I've got a second set waiting to replace the first set, but the mileage seems very good and it'll be while yet before they're replaced.

Skins for me Glass resistant for sure . been riding about a year now on them without a puncture !!!

smiley4.gif
You can pick up gatorskins at cajees for R 175 per tyre, problem with coloured tyres are that they are more puncture prone and does not last as long

I will agree with this - I rode on red GP4000's ... punctured / tyres got a few minor cuts in them etc...I was very unhappy with them .. they performed badly at 94.7 last year & I punctured. I opened my storage cupboard & replaced them with my dependable Gatorskins - only 1 puncture since 94.7 - '06 & it's still going.

I was glad to just give them away - altho' still fairly new the lady in question appreciated them more .....

"DTsmiley4.gif"

ek train met gaters en reis met mich pro race 2. mar mens kanie vout maak met gater skins nie

Skins for me Glass resistant for sure . been riding about a year now on them without a puncture !!!
I echo your sentiments mate!!

Save your money and get Maxxis Detonators.

Nothing personal, but I think these are the worst tyres ever. They ride like crap and they dont last. They start cracking and go all skew way before the thread are gone.

Been trying to get the Conti GP4000 S for a while. Cannot find them. I ordered through Totalcycling (much cheaper) but they wont airmail and the shipping worked out to 25 pounds. So, back to the hunt locally.