how long should warm up take?

Neg

HI Guys,

quick question. i have been riding, only MTB, for about 15months now. what started out as recreation turned into wanting to get really fit. im a big guy, 110kg, ride a heavy bike, 16.5kg's and my question is this-

when i ride, for the first 8-10km i want to die, feels like my legs are no longer there and at about 11km i slow down quiet badly... but then at about 11-12km i have this insane energy than comes in (i eat nothing, drink only water) and i can really give it plenty!! i have power, more so than when i started, im faster on the flats... its almost as if it take me that long to "warm up" does anyone else have this issue and how can i get the warm up to kick in quicker...???

regards.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different people take different times. For a medium race distance you should warm up for about 30 minutes. For a sprint a little longer. Your warm up time sounds fine. I have a friend with the exact same situation. I personaly think there is nothing worng with your time. I don't think there is anythign you can do to speed it up!! Just my 2c.

HI Guys,

im a big guy, 110kg, ride a heavy bike, 16.5kg's and my question is this-

when i ride, for the first 8-10km i want to die, feels like my legs are no longer there and at about 11km i slow down quiet badly...

well, you are BIG. So it takes blood longer to go through your body, than it would take blood to go through mine. I warm up 10 minutes... you must be going for 15! :lol: Just kidding(BSing) , try 10 minutes, if it doesn't work, go longer until you feel comfortable when starting to train hard.

You need to do a proper warm up to get warmed up.

If you are going out on a training ride, what is the issue? Ride till you feel ready to cane it.

If you are going racing, warm up properly for 35 - 40 minutes.

You can not really speed up this process, as your core temperature only rises gradually over an extended period. Sweat glands open, heart rate increase, muscles warm up, it takes time to warm up so be patient otherwise you might end up being a patient ;)

Edited by Tankman

Thanks guys,

when you refer to "warm up" in what way? stretching? riding? and where would one usually ride before a race to warm up if that is what you mean?

here is what i do, i stretch for about 5 min before i ride... then just pedal slowly for the first 1.5-2km, harder till about 6km and then quite hard till 11ish.... then i die and think WTF am i doing on a bicycle... i pedal slow for another 1-1.5km and then all hell breaks loose and i just keep going!!!

i do not have HR monitor so have no idea what HR is when i do get the energy...

I have the same problem, it takes me a while to feel warmed up and 'motivated'. Be it with gym, squash or cycling. You know you are good to go when it starts being fun and enjoyable. I am the same weight and also have a heavy bike. I usually just plod along for 10k's or so.

Guest eyecandy

Im the same. Its highly frustrating to say the least. Takes me 45-1hr to warm up. Before that i have no legs....

Thanks guys,

when you refer to "warm up" in what way? stretching? riding? and where would one usually ride before a race to warm up if that is what you mean?

here is what i do, i stretch for about 5 min before i ride... then just pedal slowly for the first 1.5-2km, harder till about 6km and then quite hard till 11ish.... then i die and think WTF am i doing on a bicycle... i pedal slow for another 1-1.5km and then all hell breaks loose and i just keep going!!!

i do not have HR monitor so have no idea what HR is when i do get the energy...

Doesn't really help to stretch before you ride. You only really benefit from stretching after your muscles are warm. Otherwise you are putting undue pressure on your tendons by trying to stretch cold muscles that effectively cannot stretch.

Your warm up approach sounds good. If you are riding with only water it's normal to start out with no energy. It takes your body time to tap into your glycogen and fat stores. As the other poster mentioned, if this is first thing in the morning your body will have little to no glucose in your blood stream and you will initially have no energy.

i have the same problem, takes me about 30min to get going but with die burger this weekend there is no chance of warming up before we hit old helshoogte

i have the same problem, takes me about 30min to get going but with die burger this weekend there is no chance of warming up before we hit old helshoogte

I am in exactly the same boat, I am dreading even looking at Hels with cold legs on Sunday :( That being said, I cannot forsee the first 7km going very well for me :( as it takes me a good 30min to get warm and into a "good zone"

Im the same. Its highly frustrating to say the least. Takes me 45-1hr to warm up. Before that i have no legs....

I agree. it's not just the point where your muscles feel 'warm' but when your breathing and mind 'switches' into riding mode. I 'switch' to that mode sometimes even 1 hour into a ride and feel that breathing etc becomes easier and you recover better after a hilly section even.

would it not be worth while, on a race day taking a trainer with and warming up at the car for a while before heading up?? i stretch very lightly and find on days i dont stretch, my legs cramp. on days i do stretch, no cramping. that said, i stretch daily even on days i dont ride....

Agree, it is very frustrating but i guess i will have to endure through it and eventually bring it down a few Km.

and im guessing that going hard from the start is a NO NO??