Single speed projects

divernick

I went to CRC and got the DMR chain tensioner kit. Comes with spacers for the hub, a 16t cog and of course the tensioner.

As you can see you literally strip everything that isn't needed. I only have a back break at the moment which works fine.

And then you have a jol, its a ton of fun. :clap:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

meant to say I will be building one of these up, very slowly over time as I have some spare cash.

SHould be good fun and also even better training. Also if its muddy I can always just take the SS out, no worries.

Less maintanance and less washing, sounds like a deal to me ! :thumbup:

post-5905-0-65728600-1310066884.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice, Tumbleweed, now give us more info on the parts etc.

Very simple: Gold LX hub rear hub, spacers and 11-tooth cassette (this will) change, and a tensioner (will post the brand name later). Crank is an old Alivio with 32 tooth chainring. Used a grinding wheel to shorten the crank bolts.

Guest agteros

Just finished this conversion…

post-1604-0-73372000-1312799264.jpg

The previous owner would have approved!

Anyone got any experience with Gusset ss sprocket? Despite them saying (and CRC) that they are fine for 9 speed chains, I am having problems with a 17t and both a not-new-XTR and brand new HG73 chain, where under pedal pressure, the chain doesn't engage properly and skips.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17775

Chain line is nearly perfectly straight, with Fireye Spur tensioner assisting too. Chainring is 34t middleburn with no worn teeth which has been working fine on my Reynold tubed ss.

Would be using a Connex Wipperman 708 (slightly wider) chain already if CRC had not lost the joining link. Once installed I will know if it's chain width that's the problem.

So anyone used a Gusset sprocket? I saw a 16t for sale some months ago and would be interested in any experiences with them.

Frustrating.

Edited by Cyclocross

Eish...

Looking at all this, I'm going to convert my old Hansom roadbike. :rolleyes: Using it as an indoor trainer at the moment. Maybe it will get me going on the Road again, have not been on the roadbike for 18months now. MTB is too much great fun. :P :P

Only MTB I have is my daughter's old Makro Raleigh.. not good :blush:

Anyone got any experience with Gusset ss sprocket? Despite them saying (and CRC) that they are fine for 9 speed chains, I am having problems with a 17t and both a not-new-XTR and brand new HG73 chain, where under pedal pressure, the chain doesn't engage properly and skips.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17775

Chain line is nearly perfectly straight, with Fireye Spur tensioner assisting too. Chainring is 34t middleburn with no worn teeth which has been working fine on my Reynold tubed ss.

Would be using a Connex Wipperman 708 (slightly wider) chain already if CRC had not lost the joining link. Once installed I will know if it's chain width that's the problem.

So anyone used a Gusset sprocket? I saw a 16t for sale some months ago and would be interested in any experiences with them.

Frustrating.

Problem solved. Note: Gusset sprockets do not mesh with 9 speed chains as stated on their website.

The previous owner would have approved!

Yeah, I would like to think so. :) Although he was annoyed when he saw that I'd put a riser on it. I miss that grumpy dude. :(

post-1604-0-61448400-1312950696.jpg

post-1604-0-65148300-1312950769.jpg

post-1604-0-15839400-1312950831.jpg

post-1604-0-27331100-1312950863.jpg

post-1604-0-02656000-1312950915.jpg

post-1604-0-85423200-1312950724.jpg

Problem solved. Note: Gusset sprockets do not mesh with 9 speed chains as stated on their website.

Hmmmm, I'm running one of these on my ss, 18 tooth and have had no issues (to date) with a well used 9 speed chain. Are you running a ss specific chain ring in front? This solved my chain derailing issues.

Hmmmm, I'm running one of these on my ss, 18 tooth and have had no issues (to date) with a well used 9 speed chain. Are you running a ss specific chain ring in front? This solved my chain derailing issues.

Thanks for feedback.

Middleburn chainring is 8 speed from the mid 90's, (before they introduced shiftgates and pins), so effectively a ss specific ring. No problems over the last year running it on my steel ss. Problem is slipping under pressure rather than chain coming off. Much the same as putting a new chain on an old cassette, except sprocket and chain are new.

Yesterday, put my ss specific wheel (from steel ss) which has a Shimano bmx style sprocket, on the new bike to try identify problem, one component at a time. Up the road and around the block without a hint of slip. Hence my conclusion that Gusset sprocket is issue.

Will be trying a Wipperman 7 speed chain (wider) once CRC send the missing connector link, to see if this makes any difference, before giving up on the Gusset sprocket.

Edited by Cyclocross

Thanks for feedback.

Middleburn chainring is 8 speed from the mid 90's, (before they introduced shiftgates and pins), so effectively a ss specific ring. No problems over the last year running it on my steel ss. Problem is slipping under pressure rather than chain coming off. Much the same as putting a new chain on an old cassette, except sprocket and chain are new.

Yesterday, put my ss specific wheel (from steel ss) which has a Shimano bmx style sprocket, on the new bike to try identify problem, one component at a time. Up the road and around the block without a hint of slip. Hence my conclusion that Gusset sprocket is issue.

Will be trying a Wipperman 7 speed chain (wider) once CRC send the missing connector link, to see if this makes any difference, before giving up on the Gusset sprocket.

That does seem strange. Is the chainline the same with the two different wheels? Maybe check if there are any stiff links in the chain? Otherwise, if you don't have any luck with the wider chain, PM me and I'll take the Gusset off your hands.

That does seem strange. Is the chainline the same with the two different wheels? Maybe check if there are any stiff links in the chain? Otherwise, if you don't have any luck with the wider chain, PM me and I'll take the Gusset off your hands.

Chainline is different. Will play around and see if this helps.

If I lose patience, you'll be the first person I call regarding a 17t sprocket for sale. Also have the 12t which came with the spacers which I won't use.