Single speed projects

divernick

Finally I have completed my project. Well... sort of. Still need grips and a working fron brake. But for now its quite fun riding with just the back brake. Judy also makes it feel like a rigid up front. :P

post-9185-0-31901200-1309771873.jpg

:thumbup:

May she bring you many happy miles!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask a silly question,

Why would you have a single speed bike?

What would you use it for? is the gear relatively an easier gear or a difficult gear?

why not have gears to choose from?

that was a great reply!

here's a more informative one:

My link

The article does really make a person think about there riding styles and what will suite them.

Do you compete with the bike or is it more of a toy, I am really keen to try this concept out!!

The article does really make a person think about there riding styles and what will suite them.

Do you compete with the bike or is it more of a toy, I am really keen to try this concept out!!

My one at the moment is a toy, but what a fun ride. its really awesome. Once I have a front brake I will put some knobblies on and enter it in some MTB races. Will probably do 94,7 mtb on my normal bike and the 94,7 road on the ss.

I have an old diamond back which I could convert... Pretty much take the origianl gearing off and buy single speed components and transfer?

Can I ask a silly question,

Why would you have a single speed bike?

What would you use it for? is the gear relatively an easier gear or a difficult gear?

why not have gears to choose from?

I have a road bike and a FS mtb.

The SS was bought for use as a commuter bike.

My reasons were:-

1. Cheap - R6k vs my R50k FS

2. Simple - less things can wear out/break during commute. Nothing like having to catch a train to add to the need for reliability.

3. Don't mind the damage that results from commuting frequently. I have had 4 dismounts so far this year.

4. It is awesome training - it formed the bulk of my Joberg2C mileage.

5. My gearing is optimized for a 5% drag (32-16). I spin when it is flat and stand when it is steeper.

I have amazed myself by what I have been able to ride with only 1 gear.It's a cyclist's life changing revelation as I have always classified myself as a pure flat road rider.

1. Breedts Nek

2. Steep part of Northcliff - Senior/Cliffview/Hearn Drive

3. Nissan Hazeldean 70km

4. Logwood course for next week ( without too much standing)

5. Sandton Drive (up past Sandton City) 4 x a week

I have an old diamond back which I could convert... Pretty much take the origianl gearing off and buy single speed components and transfer?

Pretty much!

Have a look around the SS forum here, and over on mtbr.com.

I have a road bike and a FS mtb.

The SS was bought for use as a commuter bike.

My reasons were:-

1. Cheap - R6k vs my R50k FS

2. Simple - less things can wear out/break during commute. Nothing like having to catch a train to add to the need for reliability.

3. Don't mind the damage that results from commuting frequently. I have had 4 dismounts so far this year.

4. It is awesome training - it formed the bulk of my Joberg2C mileage.

5. My gearing is optimized for a 5% drag (32-16). I spin when it is flat and stand when it is steeper.

I have amazed myself by what I have been able to ride with only 1 gear.It's a cyclist's life changing revelation as I have always classified myself as a pure flat road rider.

1. Breedts Nek

2. Steep part of Northcliff - Senior/Cliffview/Hearn Drive

3. Nissan Hazeldean 70km

4. Logwood course for next week ( without too much standing)

5. Sandton Drive (up past Sandton City) 4 x a week

I have the exact reason for wanting to create a commuting bicycle. After being on the hub, I see a lot of guys mentioning a single speed and I am pretty keen to try it out. I have an old bike I used for Sabie experience which I retired after the race. I think its due for a rude awakening :)

I literally live 4 km from work with one hill to negotiate and its not that difficult. so I think a single speed could be alot of fun... and once I feel comfortable, I can explore on the dirt.

so how do I get started!!

I have the exact reason for wanting to create a commuting bicycle. After being on the hub, I see a lot of guys mentioning a single speed and I am pretty keen to try it out. I have an old bike I used for Sabie experience which I retired after the race. I think its due for a rude awakening :)

I literally live 4 km from work with one hill to negotiate and its not that difficult. so I think a single speed could be alot of fun... and once I feel comfortable, I can explore on the dirt.

Why not start your own topic in the Fixie and SS forum - "How do I get started?" :thumbup:

1. Strip off the derailleurs, shifters, gear cables, cassette, outer and inner front chainrings.

2. Replace cassette with spacers and single cog. (check CRC or singlespeed.co.za for options)

3. Shorten your chain or get a SS-specific one - use a tensioner if needed. (again, see sites listed above)

4. Forget about shifting, focus on riding.

Good luck and have fun!

I went for the "buy a complete SS bike" route.

My wife took her geared hardtail to Mike's Bike and told him to make her bike a SS.

RodTi and others have gone for the "build it yourself" route. There is a website - Singlespeed.co.za that has all the components you need for a diy conversion.Planet X website also has SS componentry.