Single speed projects

divernick

Although this is neither a SS or a fixie, I just felt like sharing something that I have just finished off.. Sorry for the potential thread hijack but this was a project none the less..

A 1 X 9 Legend and my training / commuting bike.

post-7509-0-89319400-1313010607.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this is neither a SS or a fixie, I just felt like sharing something that I have just finished off.. Sorry for the potential thread hijack but this was a project none the less..

Looks race ready!

are those vbrake rims, they look pretty deep for a mtb?!

is that a GT with triple triangle?

otherwise very cool

are those vbrake rims, they look pretty deep for a mtb?!

is that a GT with triple triangle?

otherwise very cool

Erm... it HAS v-brakes!?

Pretty safe to assume that they're V brake rims then...

How about a shorter stem and then you can get that saddle back so that the rails are clamped about mid point by the seatpost?

What rims are those...? :unsure:

Yeah, I would like to think so. :) Although he was annoyed when he saw that I'd put a riser on it. I miss that grumpy dude. :(

post-1604-0-61448400-1312950696.jpg

post-1604-0-65148300-1312950769.jpg

post-1604-0-15839400-1312950831.jpg

post-1604-0-27331100-1312950863.jpg

post-1604-0-02656000-1312950915.jpg

I like the way you can adjust that chain to use the 3 x rear cogs.

Those are also very happy looking shoe laces you have got there!

How about a shorter stem and then you can get that saddle back so that the rails are clamped about mid point by the seatpost?

Hey Mr.Hairy,

This bike has been set to my measurements taken by Jeroen Swart. Its a 1993 GT Zaskar Le which originally had a Tioga "flip flop" stem that was compatible with an old A-headset.. The trend then was to run a stem with a length of atleast 110mm for that aggressive XC riding position. So my saddle setback is calculated along with my reach and this setup is where I should be, making my weight distribution perfect. I could probably benefit from a straight saddle post as your keen eye spotted the clamp almost running out of saddle rail but I am struggling to find the correct diameter (27.6mm, I believe). Even though this frame is stamped 16", the seatpost is infact 18" as the calculated 16" runs vertically from BB to bisection of cross tube. The newer Zaskars (post 1997) were measured conventionally along the seat tube and hence were properly sized as an 18". Just some trivia...

These are old Azonic rims and yes, they are V-brake compatible. I paired them with Avid SL titanium brake modules and she feels as though she has ABS now (Koolstop pads work a treat). This frame is not Hydraulic friendly as it is the first Zaskar and hence has no caliper mounts.

A back to basics hand made in the USA bike, that is simple to maintain, fun to ride and provides me with some nostalgia from my youth. In std8 this was my dream bike that I could never afford and now I finally have one and I am really enjoying her :D

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Modern mass produced bikes will come and go, but the older hand fabricated bikes are what helped cycling get to where it is today.

Hairy,

Just checked your profile and I see you and I are from the same era...

Remember the coolest mountain bikes back in the early 90's such as Klein, Cannondale CAD3 with headshock, GT Zaskar, Produx...

Now those were the days hey! :thumbup:

I like the way you can adjust that chain to use the 3 x rear cogs.

Those are also very happy looking shoe laces you have got there!

Yeah, some may argue that that rules it off of being a true SS, but that doesn't bother me… ;)

My boys bought my those laces from the Bead Shop for me!

My ss project:

2010 Giant XTC frame

XT hubs built with DT spokes and DT 4.1d rims

XT crank with Blackspire Monoveloce SS chainring 32 tooth (after photo was taken)

Gusset 18 tooth rear cog, spaced with old cassette spacers

Ryder white bar, stem and seatpost

Carbon rigid fork (suspension corrected 100mm)

Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 converted to tubeless (after photo was taken)

Raced it in anger at the Walkerville, p*nctured 3 times due to broken nipple (spoke was pushing through the eyelet into the tube) I have subsequently converted to tubeless.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics

post-1186-0-47748400-1313129528.jpg

post-1186-0-20097900-1313129550.jpg

Edited by Flippa

Sweet ride! What brand tensioner is that?

It's a Fire eye Spur 2...bought from Singlespeed.co.za

It's a Fire eye Spur 2...bought from Singlespeed.co.za

Thought it was! Got mine from Wsquared! Happy miles!