What Brakes does Kevin Evans Use?

levett

Doesn't this 3% of failures worry anybody else??

In 6 months 3 out of every 100 disks of theirs has failed. Also, if I had to guess, I'm sure its the front disk that fails, which means its about 3 out of every 50 front disks. In the next 6 months that figure could double. That means if you buy these rotors you have approximately a 1 in 10 chance of it failing. Thats absurd! And they say that as if its perfectly acceptable safety standards.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running 160 up front and 140 on the back on my 29'ers, never had a problem.

i rode 160mmm on the 29er for a year and never had a problem either, until i rode that one downhill track where is probably 3km's of fast / steep / hard braking..... It exposed the weakness. 185mm on the 29er just feels more in control generally.

Doesn't this 3% of failures worry anybody else??

In 6 months 3 out of every 100 disks of theirs has failed. Also, if I had to guess, I'm sure its the front disk that fails, which means its about 3 out of every 50 front disks. In the next 6 months that figure could double. That means if you buy these rotors you have approximately a 1 in 10 chance of it failing. Thats absurd! And they say that as if its perfectly acceptable safety standards.

I have to agree, it's actually more than worrying.

When it come to ones safety and life, safety standards can never be set high enough.

I have to agree, it's actually more than worrying.

When it come to ones safety and life, safety standards can never be set high enough.

Ride mid range components...not to light to break/fail ;)

That must be awefull when you realise your brakes are gone and something bad is about to happen but you dont know yet how bad.

It reminds me of the joke:

I want to die like my grandfather one day. Nice and quiete in his sleep and not all shouting and screaming like the guys on the back of his bakkie!

it's all speculation until we actually get a report - if there is ever one released..

I agree dangle, even the smallest containments can make a big problem in such a tiny system.

I wonder what the brake/ rotor company says about such a high profile failure, could this not to damage to ones credibility.

How many people that are riding the same brakes might be now doubting them, I know I would. Reading the guesstimates of failure, it could be a serious problem.

We are all scratching our heads about this, but Poor Kev will be having nightmares about this for a long time.

Someone, Could be Garry fisher, said these profound words, I think he said it was revealed to him in a dream :rolleyes:

"Light, cheap, strong... pick any two"

We are all scratching our heads about this, but Poor Kev will be having nightmares about this for a long time.

Someone, Could be Garry fisher, said these profound words, I think he said it was revealed to him in a dream :rolleyes:

I doubt it, he has bliksemed down enough to raelise that you can't have it all .

Ok, so here's a stick in the spokes.

I have read some of the threads on here and noticed all the speculation aimed at his front brake having failed.

I watched the coverage and never heard him say once that it was his front brake.

1)So what happend to the rear brake if this was the case? This is also a very good way to stop, pull the other brake!!

2)What is the 1 in a million chance of both front and rear brakes failing at the same time?

3)If it was his mechanic, why did the brakes not fail sooner?

4)if it was brake fade, he would have felt this coming on during a few brakes before then?

All pro's do experience a "brake" in concentration (see any road race and the amount of crashes). So could it not be that he just lost concentration for a split second, over estimated the downhill and never managed to get control of the bike?

We are all human. it happens.

If this is the case, it would be very sad that he blamed it on brake failure. Because a statement like that is really bad publicity for a bike and product.

Its far easier to blame something else than to admit it was your own mistake.

We all do it.

I feel very sorry for Kevin and George.

Kev, good luck and get well soon.

keith bontrager

Epic Crash Report

To clear up any confusion around the crash, here it is from me:

It was simply a problem with the disc pads that we changed the night before the stage. On the steep descends, the aluminium rotors were overheating and causing the brakes to ‘fade’ and loose power. On the steepest descend on the stage, 25km into the race, I had too much speed to slow down and knew I was heading for a crash. All things considering, I think I was fairly lucky, as I crashed in a very hectic corner. Helmet completely smashed and I could have been so much worse!

http://www.kevinevansracing.blogspot.com/

Edited by d@vid