Acros bring hydraulic shifting to market

rwa.basson

2 Thoughts come to mind while thinking about this...

WHY?

KISS

Agreed. Plus - two cables running to each derailleur? Thats gonna look nasty - plus most frames don't come prepped for double cables front and back...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The-artist-formerly-known-as-Capricorn posted details on these about a week back

Bottom line... $2300 estimated cost for these...

expensive upgrade!

I suspect that they are bunch of engineering dudes who like to design STUFF, even if it does not become popular....they just like to make STUFF.

I suspect that they are bunch of engineering dudes who like to design STUFF, even if it does not become popular....they just like to make STUFF.

haha! that is the secret to what us engineering dudes love to do.

The less creative engineers were responsible for the 29er, haha!

Edited by patches

I do love solutions to problems that don't exist - hydraulic sounds great but I have yet to have an issue with my "old faithful" cable gears.

It seems like an unecessary complication to me...

Perhaps I am a luddite after all :D

+1

For this sort of money and a "service free - low maintenance" solution I think a Rhollof Hub is a more elegant solution.

2 Thoughts come to mind while thinking about this...

WHY?

KISS

I think this system has merit.

Why have we moved from cables to hydraulic brakes? It's simply much better.

Hydraulic shifting should be far less maintenence and advantageous on wet/muddy rides.

The system seems pretty simple too.

I guess the issue would be weight? I'd go for the MKII though once they've ironed out the teething problems and mass production has made it more affordable. Time will tell I guess....?

Edited by manbearpig

For this sort of money and a "service free - low maintenance" solution I think a Rhollof Hub is a more elegant solution.

Do a Google search for "hydraulic bicycle drives". Using a hydraulic motor to drive the wheel and a pump where the BB should go and the reservior inside the frame you could have a cool system. Problem is the weight penalty but the advantage is a much more efficient drive compared to a chain drive. Don't be put off by the picturs you see on the web. The designs are cr@p but the principle is good. It isn't practicle at the moment due to the weight penalty but it is something I would like to try. You can incorporate an accumulator and the drive doubles as a brake as well. Two wheel drive bicycle anybody?

Have a look at this link:

Hydraulic Bike Drive

Next thing is someone will come off at speed and clip one of their cables on the way down. Look ma, no gears!

Two words come to mind: Single Speed. No mess no fuss and STRONG legs!!

we can probably expect a ANT+ system similar to shimano DI2 or the Roellof hub. just think an integrated computer and shifting system. NO cables... NO wires..

ORRRR...... an I-Phone app that changes your gears for you according to your facial expressions!!

haha! that is the secret to what us engineering dudes love to do.

The less creative engineers were responsible for the 29er, haha!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif for the 26ers

cursing.gifcursing.gifcursing.gif for the 29ers

Aside from pricing, which should improve if enough of us 29er freaks buy the system :) I think there is one obvious advantage to this system over a cable system. Movement of the rear derailleur is done via hydraulic pressure both for up and down changing. This will be valuable in muddy conditions where springs are sometimes not strong enough to move through the mud and limit changing of gears.

I'm just happy that technology does move on and I have a choice to embrace or reject it based on my personal preferences

Over-engineered, like Di2. My bet is that the chain, the gear cable and a few other 'mechanical' bits will not succumb to the march of technology. Which, by the way, by no means makes a Luddite of me (I don't think). I just reckon technology advancements will come around these bits without changing the underlying principles; and technology will continue to be introduced in ways we haven't yet considered. I mean, I was thinking about the personal area network which goes with me on my bike as I puffed up a hill the other day. Who would have thought, a mini-wireless LAN on my bike, connected to a satellite kilometres above, a strap on my chest and a gadget on my chainstay.

Flippen amazing, oke.