What happened to John-Lee Augustyn?

Silverback Ru

It sounds as if his hip opp did not work out. The cap is creating toxcicity which is impacting on his organs, kidneys etc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.velonatio...pro-career.aspx

Lets hope we can see him racing again in the future.

“I have spoken to Jeroen and Bobby Julich as well and they have given me a lot of advise on how to look after myself and on my decision to stop. Then over time when I feel ready again and hopefully have no problems from the hip resurfacing, I can start racing again,” Augustyn said.

John Lee has joined NMMU Club in Port Elizabeth and whilst he is off the bike for a while will assist the club and it's riders.

With that extensive trouble, elite racing most prob over for JL.

Not physiologically, per say.

It's just that most teams won't sign up a risky scenario.

Pity.

Edited by Puncheur

And ol' Hunter is still flying the SA flag.

Also pity about Impey. Wonder where his future lies?

Impey rides for Green Edge!!

Impey rides for Green Edge!!

That post was made in April 2011....before signing NetApp then going to GreenEdge

That injury must have got the better of him. Here's wishing JLA the best of luck with the shop.

http://www.supersport.com/cycling/sa-cycling/news/120516/Augustyn_home_for_recovery_cycle

John-Lee Augustyn, one of South Africa’s foremost cycling exports, has returned home to share the benefit of his extensive international experience with the Port Elizabeth cycling fraternity while he recovers from a lingering hip injury.

The 25-year-old is one of only two South African cyclists to have participated in all three European grand tours – the Tour of Spain, Tour de France and Giro d’Italia. The other is Robert Hunter, who he helped to win the national road championships earlier this year.

The former Barloworld and Team Sky rider is now looking forward to new challenges as he takes up a coaching and managerial position with the Mecer-NMMU club, as well as starting a new family business venture.

“Obviously it’s been a big disappointment and a difficult decision to stop because I’m still very young in a pro career. But this is a whole new and exciting chapter.”

In addition to managing the university-based club, he will also be opening a boutique-style cycle shop in August with his brother Wesley, who is well known in downhill racing circles.

“Augustyn Brothers is not going to be just another bike shop.”

The ex-U/23 national road champion, who, with fashion designer wife Greta Tonoli, was until recently based in Italy with Team Utensilnord-Named, said the shop would draw strongly on European influences.

He said his team management had been very supportive following his ongoing health problems and had encouraged him to take a break in order to recover fully.

“The manager said I should not injure myself further as I still have a future to think about. They have an open-door policy and I can go back when I’m ready.”

In 2007, Augustyn broke the neck of his left femur during a crash in the Tour of Portugal.

Two years later, the pins that had been inserted had to be removed as the bone had grown over them, resulting in inflammation of the surrounding muscles.

The procedure, however, cut off the blood supply to that area, resulting in osteonecrosis, which caused the bone to start crumbling.

“I had symptoms like numbness or ‘dead leg’, which was aggravated by hard training and long tours.”

Initially dismissed as purely mental, the problem was later identified by Dr Jeroen Swart in Cape Town, which led to an innovative hip resurfacing surgery in March last year.

Although it has given him full mobility of the joint, Augustyn said he battled to recover fast enough for his new Italian team during the highly competitive stage races.

“I struggled with elevated chrome and cobalt levels in my body due to the toxins from my prosthetic hip.”

While taking a break from the bike, he maintains his fitness levels with walking, swimming and gym. Despite being unable to ride at the moment, he said he relished the prospect of sharing his nutritional and technical knowledge with local cycling enthusiasts.

Augustyn’s first assignment will be to guide Mecer-NMMU through the University Sport South Africa Cycling Championships in Wellington from July 2 to 6.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

What is JL up to lately?

CWhjtdwWIAAPj1u.jpg

Something to do with Lights By Linea. I've seen himbon TV driving the team car and wearing their kit

All his pics on Instagram are in Sky kit and recently pics of Swift bikes.

Maybe making a return with Swift[emoji106]

All his pics on Instagram are in Sky kit and recently pics of Swift bikes.

Maybe making a return with Swift[emoji106]

He's a brand ambassader for them, currently started up a line of his own kit and recently moved back to Italy with his wife and has/is setup a bike touring company there.

Enjoying life, wish them all the best with it ....  :thumbup: