• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

You mean Nelson......the sea gull?

BWhahahaha now I see it. At first glace thought it was a brave brave surfer

BWhahahaha now I see it. At first glace thought it was a brave brave surfer

Me to....but my swiss side made me look closer :whistling:

Dont worry one day you too can will be like that :clap:

you know it all types - which lighthouse is the ones with all the big waves and the bloke is standing in the doorway. It was all the rage as wall pictures and stuff?

I think it was from the north sea ?

you know it all types - which lighthouse is the ones with all the big waves and the bloke is standing in the doorway. It was all the rage as wall pictures and stuff?

I think it was from the north sea ?

chief know it all here....

You mean this one by Jean Guichard (Googled it quickly), think its this one on the French coast.interesting story

post-182-0-23872100-1407764713_thumb.png

Over the past century La Jument lighthouse has effectively increased maritime safety in the area, known to the Bretons as Mer d'Iroise or Iroise Sea. However, the waters off Brittany's west coast still remain one of the most dangerous seas in Europe with frequent violent storms, huge waves and strong currents.

One of those infamous storms on the Iroise Sea happened on 21 December 1989. A front of low pressure coming from Ireland brought gale force winds and huge waves of 20 to 30 metres high which crashed spectacularly against the lighthouse.

The waves smashed through the lower windows of the lighthouse, ripped the front door, flooded the tower and washed away the furniture. Lighthouse keeper Théodore Malgorn decided to take refuge up in the lantern room while waiting to be rescued.

About the same time, photographer Jean Guichard was in Lorient hiring a helicopter to take aerial pictures of the storm. Guichard wanted to fly over the Iroise Sea despite extremely dangerous flying conditions.

The helicopter made it to La Jument and hovered around for Guichard to take shots of the waves pounding the lighthouse. Inside the tower, Théodore Malgorn heard what he thought was his rescue helicopter and hurried downstairs to open the door.

At that very moment, a giant wave rose over the rear of the lighthouse and Guichard took his world-famous shot as the wave smashed against the tower. Théodore Malgorn, suddenly realising that a giant wave was about to engulf the structure, rushed back inside just in time to save his life.

Jean Guichard's 1989 dramatic storm photo shots became an instant hit and earned him the World Press Photo award. La Jument appeared on newspapers and magazines all around the world and Guichard went on to publish a best selling book about lighthouses and a collection of poster prints.

La Jument's poster print has sold well over one million copies, making the Breton lighthouse the most famous lighthouse print in the world.

Lighthouses in Brittany have been automated in the past decades and La Jument itself has no longer a keeper since 1991. For many years Jean Guichard's quest was to portray Brittany's maritime heritage before automation took over. Many of his photos are now considered to hold a historic value and his work is highly respected in Brittany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jument#Photograph.27s_story

http://airows.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Screen-Shot-2014-08-08-at-1.43.25-PM-660x436.png

http://airows.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Screen-Shot-2014-08-08-at-1.41.07-PM-660x492.png

http://airows.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/amazing-things-youve-never-seen-before-1-660x494.jpg

Seen that in action in Belgium.

Guest notmyname

Seen that in action in Belgium.

No tea break nor lunch. Doesn't strike, waste, steal your things and consistently churns out meter after meter.

Edited by small fry