• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Why " potential". flaws. " Flaws " will suffice. Se maar net.

purely because some words, when spelled correctly, may seem "wrong" to someone when looking back on them. I know that when I see a word I haven't used for a while, I have to think about it and actually ask myself if it's spelled correctly. Words like onomatopoeia, for example. I know how to spell it, but for someone else, it may seem "wrong".

Flip. Had to google the meaning of the word. Ha ha

I always remember it as "on a mat I pee a" - basically a word that expressed how it sounds in real life. Thump! Thwack! Crunch!

The first monkey Selfie?

Has sparked a bit of a debate with the owner of the camera and Wikimedia:

http://www.washingto...says-wikimedia/

If a monkey snaps a selfie in the forest, does he own it?

By now, the legal pseudo-doctrine of “he who takes the selfie owns the selfie” has settled into the collective consciousness. But what happens if an animal takes the photo?

British photographer David Slater is locked in a dispute with Wikimedia Commons (and its parent organization the Wikimedia Foundation) over whether a photo taken by an animal with a photographer’s camera becomes part of the public domain or the property of the camera’s owner.

And here's the subject, lovely smile n all :D

post-182-0-41997100-1407489179_thumb.png

I always remember it as "on a mat I pee a" - basically a word that expressed how it sounds in real life. Thump! Thwack! Crunch!

If you guys are talking about Morph's grammar-nazi clip on the previous page... it's always an interesting dilemma for an editor: to rewrite something that is bad English, but clear, into something that is tortuously correct? I wondered whether it would be possible to edit his excerpt without falling into that trap, and I came up with: "Every time I see a spelling mistake I look at my keyboard to see whether a wrong key was pressed or the writer can’t spell; I have too much time on my hands." The last bit is a freebie. Anyone do better?

BTW, my favourite "it looks wrong" word is swap. Comes up more often than onomatopoeia.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/00a3b72da854b8de5ac082685f957129/tumblr_myvhkm6hz41s3fgzco1_1280.jpg

I'll just scratch the bloody American flag off the Landy and swop the Honda for an old Norton. Otherwise perfect!