The 29'er vs 26'er Poll

Just Keep Pedaling

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is a 29er a better buy for your money than a 26er?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't have any money.

My opinion is that 29ers are indeed faster over most courses, but their downsides and my preferences all add up to mean my next bike purchase will be a 26er.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the oppopsite when "dikwiel" were the dominant bikes and these "dunwiel" 26ers were suggested to be faster, better, lighter. Is this "REVENGE OF THE DIKWIEL" ?

my 2cent's worth - Why must this be an either/or issue. If I can afford a decent 29er I will buy it and use it for marathons and stage races. The 26" hardtail I will keep for week-end fun and short course races.

Comparing the two is like asking what is the best car - a single cab bakkie or a 4 door sedan; you probably need both.

Oh for varksvleis who started this thread, huh, huh?!!

Is there not enough of this incessant drivel about 26er vs 29er on this forum already? C'mon man, go ride your bike, whatever wheel size it has I'm sure you'll find it far more enjoyable to ride instead of sitting on your dogblossom in front of your pc starting yet another inane troll-luring discussion.

"Value for money" generally does not even come into the buying equation - the value of something is the price someone is prepared to pay for it, so if you're prepared to part with your money for something, then by definition you'ver got value for money... not?

Climbs down off soapbox, throws it on braai fire and goes off for quick ride before lunch... :D

Yes.

As I already have a 26" HT and a 26" Dual, what would I do with another one?

a 29er at least gives me a different experience to enjoy :clap:

Oh for varksvleis who started this thread, huh, huh?!!

Is there not enough of this incessant drivel about 26er vs 29er on this forum already? C'mon man, go ride your bike, whatever wheel size it has I'm sure you'll find it far more enjoyable to ride instead of sitting on your dogblossom in front of your pc starting yet another inane troll-luring discussion.

"Value for money" generally does not even come into the buying equation - the value of something is the price someone is prepared to pay for it, so if you're prepared to part with your money for something, then by definition you'ver got value for money... not?

Climbs down off soapbox, throws it on braai fire and goes off for quick ride before lunch... :D

You are soo rite. I have seen 26ers dominate xc races and seen 29ers do the same on others.

horses for courses. lets just enjoy our wonderful sport guys. Enjoy your weekend rides guys.:)

Definitely 26'er. Unless you are very, very tall.

And secondly, if bigger is better... why stop at 29 inch ?

Who has the specific ratio in wheel size to terrain ?

Really. I don't know. So if someone can please explain to me. Why 29 inch as opposed to 31 ?

I've got a 26" Hardtail. Will probably keep it, turn it into a (slightly) long(er) travel bike, and buy a 26" FS descending MACHINE like an intense or Ibis or Morewood...

In my opinion, I'll learn alot more about the correct line, speed & angle of attack on my 26er than I could on a 9er, due to the way it is just that much more raw than the 9er. I reckon that a BMX might be the perfect thing for MTB though... :thumbup:

I've got a 26" Hardtail. Will probably keep it, turn it into a (slightly) long(er) travel bike, and buy a 26" FS descending MACHINE like an intense or Ibis or Morewood...

In my opinion, I'll learn alot more about the correct line, speed & angle of attack on my 26er than I could on a 9er, due to the way it is just that much more raw than the 9er. I reckon that a BMX might be the perfect thing for MTB though... :thumbup:

Buy an Intense Tracer boet. Can't go wrong. Probably one of the last bikes still hand built in the States. Fantastic bike for all mountain slaying!

I've seen the Intense bikes, and I almost had a crisis. Having said that though, there is something about a Morewood Shova's innate simplicity, with its big, box-section tubes, gnarly welds and Single Pivot glory that just takes me over the edge. Timeless.

And saffa-made.

I've seen the Intense bikes, and I almost had a crisis. Having said that though, there is something about a Morewood Shova's innate simplicity, with its big, box-section tubes, gnarly welds and Single Pivot glory that just takes me over the edge. Timeless.

And saffa-made.

Many Morewoods are now made in the East, although there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Intense on the other hand, is still good ol' hand-made. All of it.

Legend has it that Intense welders ply their craft to the sound of AC/DC. Hell yeah!

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Many Morewoods are now made in the East, although there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Intense on the other hand, is still good ol' hand-made. All of it.

Legend has it that Intense welders ply their craft to the sound of AC/DC. Hell yeah!

That's a good enough reason to buy one all by itself...