MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

XC / Casual riding like Rietflei in the South.

G

Rietvlei is rocky, or maybe i just choose those routes. I go with a low pressure.

XC / Casual riding like Rietflei in the South.

G

The short answer is 2 bar because there are rocks at Rietvlei. 1.8bar elsewhere for tubeless.

With tubes I would not be below 3 bar because of the risk of snake bites.

Don't use tubes though. They suck. 2 bar offers up great grip! Go tubeless. Now!

Your other friend

Eldron.

Eldron

My bike got tubeless, the fiancé still got tubes.

Thats why I'm asking bout both.

G

The short answer is 2 bar because there are rocks at Rietvlei. 1.8bar elsewhere for tubeless.

Don't use tubes though. They suck. 2 bar offers up great grip! Go tubeless. Now!

Your other friend

Eldron.

Eldron

My bike got tubeless, the fiancé still got tubes.

Thats why I'm asking bout both.

G

Convert her bike - it'll save you hassles in the long run!

Slime tubes is not a bad option but tubeless is better - she'll enjoy it because the ride is much softer. 3 bar and rocks is an ass killing combination...

Your other friend

Eldron.

yup!what he said! With tubeless on rocks you'll want to go slightly harder so as not to get "Stan's Burp".

As for tubes (which i ride... by choice, cos Stan's burp is highly likely on when dirt jumping (or on DH)... and then it'll put you in hospital... I run my tubed tyres between 2.5 and 3 bar. As Eldron said... snakebite is the main reason for higher pressure. I also do it cos I hate the feeling of tyre-roll (which happens easily when cornering hard with big tyres, like my 2.5's and they're slightly under-inflated).

Will be converting her bike as soon as these tires get to end of life, then will put the band in, new tubeless tires and valve.

Mean time you will notice I've added a question under tech for comment on Slime.

G

Convert her bike - it'll save you hassles in the long run!

Slime tubes is not a bad option but tubeless is better - she'll enjoy it because the ride is much softer. 3 bar and rocks is an ass killing combination...

Interesting question regarding the 29er....I pumped mine about 2bar as I used to pump my 26er 2 bars....wow! That tire was so flippen hard....at die Burger event my back actually got sore and i could feel all the impact....so what would you guys recommend to pump a 29er tubeless wheel?

Interesting question regarding the 29er....I pumped mine about 2bar as I used to pump my 26er 2 bars....wow! That tire was so flippen hard....at die Burger event my back actually got sore and i could feel all the impact....so what would you guys recommend to pump a 29er tubeless wheel?

That is odd! I run 29er Race Kings and 2 bar is near on perfect for average not too rocky courses. Try a bit softer.

The best pressure is the lowest you can get away with without burping...

Will be converting her bike as soon as these tires get to end of life, then will put the band in, new tubeless tires and valve.

Mean time you will notice I've added a question under tech for comment on Slime.

G

For tubeless I prefer popping one of the sides of the tyre off the rim and pouring the slime directly into the tyre. Easier and faster.

For the tube you will have to remove valve core and inject. Sometimes it tends to clog (because thats what slime is supposed to do :-) so you might have to remove slime and poke it with a tooth pick then reinsert and carry on injecting.

Good luck and keep a wet cloth handy for clean up!

Your other friend

Eldron.

Interesting comment on the 3 Bar with tubes.

I rode down into The Hell a while back, Not overly technical, but fairly rocky. Was at about 2.5 Bar and my teeth rattled out. Droppped the pressure right down to 1.8, and the ride was much better of course, not snakes bite, but again I might have been lucky. Also had liners in the tyres. Ran Conti Verticals - 2.3 with the wire beads.

On tubeless I normally run 2.1 to 2.3 - my weight is about 78-80 kg.

Edited by Underachiever

Tubeless I go for 2 bar on a 2.1 tire. With tubes (I train with them) 2.2 front and 2,5 back. But then I am 78kg's. A girl of 62 kg's can go down to 1.5 bar (tubeless)

Sometimes it tends to clog (because thats what slime is supposed to do :-) so you might have to remove slime and poke it with a tooth pick then reinsert and carry on injecting.Good luck and keep a wet cloth handy for clean up!

put a bit of vasilene on the valve hole before putting back the core, prevents the valve clogging

lucky my tubed days are over

put a bit of vasilene on the valve hole before putting back the core, prevents the valve clogging

You sir are THE MAN! It's a problem I've wasted many swear words on. Thanks for the tip!

Give this man a bells!