MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

im 84kg and have just changed my front to 1.9 and rear 1.8 - I cant see you needing to go over 2-2.1 bar no matter what weight

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im 84kg and have just changed my front to 1.9 and rear 1.8 - I cant see you needing to go over 2-2.1 bar no matter what weight

exactly...its like pumping you car tires to 3bar cause you weight 50kg more....

exactly...its like pumping you car tires to 3bar cause you weight 50kg more....

Actually, if you read through your car's user manual- you'll see that there is a certain tyre pressure for loaded, and unloaded car.

Mine is:

2bar for unloaded

2.2bar for loaded

Kinda makes sense then increasing your pressure when more weight is applied- and if you take into consideration that the contact surface of a mtb's tyre is much smaller than a car's.

I'm 88kgs, tubes, 2bar front, 2.3 back. anything less looks like i'm running with slow punctures :D

I'm 68kg and run between 2 and 2.5 bar find anything lower than that I have problems on the flat hard stuff with getting the speed up and anything higher than that the bike slips too much on the wet stuff or is hard to handle in the sandy stuff.

If you take the Crossmark tyres ( I have wire bead ones), they have a recommended inflation of 2.5 to 4.5 bar. Is the 2.5 bar not the lowest pressure that will allow the safest operation of the tyre? Any lower and you run the risk of damaging the sidewall or having the wheel slip out from under you?

Actually, if you read through your car's user manual- you'll see that there is a certain tyre pressure for loaded, and unloaded car.

Mine is:

2bar for unloaded

2.2bar for loaded

Kinda makes sense then increasing your pressure when more weight is applied- and if you take into consideration that the contact surface of a mtb's tyre is much smaller than a car's.

I'm 88kgs, tubes, 2bar front, 2.3 back. anything less looks like i'm running with slow punctures :D

I always ride on 2.2bar on the car....why? Because its harder on the road and feels so much better! and you cant pump your tire at the shopping centre after you bought a load of groceries,etc...but thats a other story...

It also depends on what tyre you are running.

My 2.0 Saguro's felt right at about 2 to 2.1 bar. The 2.2 Sag's are running beautifully at 1.8 bar.

And I'm not a lightweight either at about 92kg.

Higher volume tyres can be safely run at lower pressures.

I always ride on 2.2bar on the car....why? Because its harder on the road and feels so much better! and you cant pump your tire at the shopping centre after you bought a load of groceries,etc...but thats a other story...

Who says you cant?

post-10940-0-46921300-1304586687.jpg

Edited by Lamber

What is the reason for your front being 1.9 and rear 1.8? Should the front not be less than the back or equal? I have my front (Schwalbe 2.25) at 1.5 bar and rear (Crossmark 2.1) at 1.8 and I weigh about 85kg.

Tube tyres (Kenda) 2,3 Bar front and rear seems to work well for me in all conditions. I weigh 90kg. Hard enough to keep rolling well on the hard stuff and soft enough to grip in the soft stuff. I find it too much of a mission to fiddle with different pressures for different conditions. You probably only adjust a few kPa anyway. This is MTB not F1... For me it was easier to find a compromise and adjust my riding style when I need to.

Who says you cant?

haha...ok show me everytime you do that after your grcery shopping, and then you deflate it to 2bars again....if you do you seriously need to find a way to spend your free time.....

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

What is a good pressure to pump tyres to for

With Tubes

With No Tubes.

weight = 68-70kg

G

Depends on the terrain. Very rocky and ill lower mine to 1.5/1.6 for more grip. Something like a Babbas ride, maybe 1.8/1.9. (tubeless - 29er) Im about 55kg's.

Edited by eyecandy