Riding up the DOWNhills at Tokai

grb285

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree totally i ride up the singletrack at Tokai all the time but i am very aware and alert to the fact of riders coming down and i make sure im off the trail when they do, then when its my turn to bomb down the ST i expect the same treatment. This way there should be no issues.

This has been discussed before on the Hub, and ive always maintained that DH have right of way as this is the main reason we do this sport for the adrenalin rush that comes with flowing down a fast ST. Take that away and whats the point might as well be a boring roadie.

Common sense chaps ride anywhere you want just be aware of where you are and whats around you.

Ive ridden up Bridal a few times but i would not do it on a busy weekend for obvious reasons. Likewise when on the ST at Tokai on weekends a lot of riders coming down so just be aware and prepared to move over if you want to ride up ST.

Sheer genius in its simplicity :clap:

I would imagine there are loads of occasional riders that dont know what the DH guys know & arent trying to be difficult.

Oi! Don't be trying to stop a 100 page thread with your "logic" and "common sense"!!!!!

Here's an idea - the original poster make up a few "no entry" signs and add them to the bottom of the runs - he's already said he's keen as mustard to do trail maintnance and upkeep. If you want I'll donate R100 as a starter and I live in Jhb!

No entry signs make things nice and simple - I was at Groenkloof for the first time o the weekend (yes I know it's a cardinal sin not to have been there before!!!) and saw the awesome wooden bridge coming out of the forrest at the entry to fountains and was keen to see if I could ride up it. My friends were quick to tell me that it was the exit. A no entry sign would have made is abundantly clear - plus we did meet some riders coming the wrong way when we were bashing our way down the run - they were hugely apologetic but a no entry sign would have saved everyone the stress and time...

Stevie do you ride up the DOWN ONLY trails?

The problem is that whatever someone's intentions are of moving out the way, they are making for a dangerous situation just by riding the wrong way on a dedicated DH track.

If I am flying down a track that is one way, the last thing I need in my life is some chump coming the wrong way at me.

I don't care if he is planning to move out my way. I shouldn't have to deal with the possibility that he won't, or tries to but can't at that moment, or just doesn't move enough ETC.

The point is, if it is a ONE WAY trail, or DH track, just ride it in the correct direction.

I don't call myself a DH biker or XC biker or roadie or whatever box I should fit into, I ride for the fun of it - but I do try to apply common sense. Someone flying down a hill can't break quickly, so I would move out the way (should I ever decide to ride up a DH trail).

Common sense, just like stopping at a red robot.

I ride up the so called downhills. some of them, it improves my skill level. but i sure as hell don't do it over week-ends or when it's busy, then it's jeep track time.

I also reckon that uphill has right of way, but i sure as hell don't exercise that right when it's the gap jump and balls to the wall sections.

the most surprising thing for me is that there is zero guidelines/education for this sort of issue, there really should be a tokai mtb action group. we can all play fair

Are you guys refering "Down Hill" to the actual Down Hill sections, or just the single track?

I ride up the so called downhills. some of them, it improves my skill level. but i sure as hell don't do it over week-ends or when it's busy, then it's jeep track time.

I also reckon that uphill has right of way, but i sure as hell don't exercise that right when it's the gap jump and balls to the wall sections.

the most surprising thing for me is that there is zero guidelines/education for this sort of issue, there really should be a tokai mtb action group. we can all play fair

Steve, the DH runs at Tokai are single way, downhill stretches. There's plenty of singletrack further up and around for you to improve your skill level. Nolipoli put it very well, there's enough going on when flying down a run to have to worry about a XC rider around the bend.

There is no right of way on DH run. There is only one way. The runs at Tokai are marked as such on the map. You cant claim that there is zero guideline. There's a marked out map at the entrance gate. Have a look next time.

Perhaps it's time to put up full on "No Entry" signs at the bottom of the DH runs. I'll gladly have them made up if the other guys agree to it.

Stevie do you ride up the DOWN ONLY trails?

The problem is that whatever someone's intentions are of moving out the way, they are making for a dangerous situation just by riding the wrong way on a dedicated DH track.

If I am flying down a track that is one way, the last thing I need in my life is some chump coming the wrong way at me.

I don't care if he is planning to move out my way. I shouldn't have to deal with the possibility that he won't, or tries to but can't at that moment, or just doesn't move enough ETC.

The point is, if it is a ONE WAY trail, or DH track, just ride it in the correct direction.

No i ride up the singletrack sections i dont ride up the Down only trails (i dont think i do), i agree on the proper DH trails you guys dont need the hassle of worrying about riders. I think the only way is to signpost the one way trails so people know. If i see a sihn saying one way dh only i wouldnt go up that path. SO maybe a few signs need to be erected cant be to hard and would make everyone happy.

agreed,GRB...

The downhill sections are marked clearly at the entrance. And an easy way to guarantee compliance is the introduction of signs at both trail head and tail...

Glad to hear it Stevie.

Yeah. Signs at the exit are the only way it will ever work.

I have only ridden Tokai once, as I live in JHB. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to have that place on your doorstep!!!

But the point is that as sensitive as I might be to this issue, I am not familiar enough with Tokai to be 100% sure which trails are which, especially when looking at the exit, so it could happen by accident that I go the wrong way.

If you put a "no-entry" sign up, I would have to be an idiot to go up the wrong way.

...although it can be argued that it is the idiots we are worried about in the first place...

Simply ride up the huge piece of road and ride down the narrow single track.

I have had the same issues before where people ride up when I'm coming down and I wonder why are you even riding up the single track?

So to all people including myself, lets ride down the single track and stop riding up it.

Peace and happiness.

maybe the sickness finally bust him up?

Pity. He woulda loved this crap.