Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

OK, to you and DJR, let me clarify. I will go to Orms again and will probably end up buying from them. I was just a bit surprised and mentioned it kind of in passing. Hasn't put me off Orms.

..Unlike my latest Afrihost encounter...Grrr

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Just showing off?

sort of acknowledging that I understand that there is a LOT more to photography than just "P&S" ....

I do like being "out there" and being able to take these kinds of photos.  The sad reality is that us city folk simply cant do this without getting WAY out of the city .... We have a client next to the Orange river, when I go there for business my cameras goes with.  Sadly our current project will start later ... and I wont be taking these types of pics any time soon .... can add that I have driven up there while on leave, with a big part of the motivation being to take more of these .... between thunder showers and dust storms I got NO decent pics during a week long vacation ..... photography can be a nasty mistress ....

OK, to you and DJR, let me clarify. I will go to Orms again and will probably end up buying from them. I was just a bit surprised and mentioned it kind of in passing. Hasn't put me off Orms.

..Unlike my latest Afrihost encounter...Grrr

Cape Town or Bellville branch ?

IF you are coming to the Bellville branch, speak to Gavin or Fritz.  They WILL assist you !  Failing which you can ask to speak to Japie, the manager.

TIMER .... I am a CANON man.  But I will admit that Canon needs intervalometers for these types of pics, while some Nikons include some of these functions in the camera software ..... at one stage there was talk of Canon including something like this in its software - I dont know if that happened.  FRITZ is super sharp with this stuff !!

Edited by ChrisF

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here on GuruShots?

Yup, but kinda bored with it. 

Not much happens when you reach Guru, other than you can start challenges and there are plenty of those and I dont have time to manage that.

Great way to improve and learn "what sells".

But I would only have about 10 of those photos in my actual portfolio today.

Happy Birthday Wyatt Earp!

Although no longer a member of the hub, he is very active in the photography community.

Attended a talk about his work earlier this week... and compared to the first photo posted in this thread... WoW man!  

Fantastic job and well done!

I follow him on IG, he takes some amazing shots. His pics of joburg are brilliant, I just worry about the oke getting mugged.

I follow him on IG, he takes some amazing shots. His pics of joburg are brilliant, I just worry about the oke getting mugged.

Honestly, I would me more worried about the oak trying to mug him, Anton is a Dan in karate... and an active one at that.

Honestly, I would me more worried about the oak trying to mug him, Anton is a Dan in karate... and an active one at that.

Was just about to say I'm more worried about the muggers :D  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, but kinda bored with it. 

Not much happens when you reach Guru, other than you can start challenges and there are plenty of those and I dont have time to manage that.

Great way to improve and learn "what sells".

But I would only have about 10 of those photos in my actual portfolio today.

Yeah, a great way to get a general indication of what people actually like.

You might like a photo, doesn't mean anyone else will haha

Yeah, a great way to get a general indication of what people actually like.

You might like a photo, doesn't mean anyone else will haha

Liking a photo...

We as photographers have a total different emotional connection to our photos than the viewer. The process we went through, put our body and equipment through to produce that photo, connects with us on a different level which the viewer cant possibly know/feel or understand.  We have to communicate that what is happening IN the photo.

Possibly why we sometimes tend to like some of our own photos more than others. 

Anyway, I find it fascinating and this is where guidelines can help a lot.  I sometime sit and stare at a photo and think, dam this is good, the composition is spot on, the light is fantastic, there are leading lines, the tone works... and then the wife walks by and is all like "oooh no, look at her droopy eye, you cant use that one!"  But... but... it was technically perfect.... except I did not pay attention to my subject.  Oops.

There are still times when you will like a photo, no matter what anyone else says :D

And then you get that odd occasion when you know that "technically" the photo is flawed ... but somebody LIKES it, just because ....

Taking part in photo competitions at our local photography club has certainly honed my skills.  I now try to find that middle ground where it is technically good enough while my subjects actually like it ....

True...

Sometimes it can be a balance and other times people pay for your style and vision.

I made friends with pro's that far exceed my level, folks that I admire and started asking them for opinions.  When they talk, I listen. 

Finding the opinion of the right people, has so much more value rather than an unknown keyboard-phone-photographer-warrior on a crappy forum that wants to throw the rule-of-thirds book at you but cant take one in-focus shot himself!  (Opinions of mother, wife, family & friends also does not count... bless them and thanks for the support and encouragement, but it doesn't count)