Am I being Unreasonable?

TheV

what does it matter what he paid for his sons bike, no were did he say how old his son is or if his son is even interested in cycling and in my opinion R5000 is a lot of cash to pay for a bike that might not be used.. and any way this is all off topic.

back on topic, if I was you I would see if Andrew can sort this out which I am sure he will and if he can't then get your cash back and go spend it else were. and as for checking a bike before you leave the shop, I think that is for the LBS to do no me I pay and expect it to be right first time.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cut cut cut

what does it matter what he paid for his sons bike, no were did he say how old his son is or if his son is even interested in cycling and in my opinion R5000 is a lot of cash to pay for a bike that might not be used.. and any way this is all off topic.

cut cut cut

True, not relevant at all...jeez

Good on Andrew for coming to the forum, sure your issue will get bumped up the priority pile. Everyone can slip, its how you rectify that sets you apart, lets see how it pans out.

I settle on a R 30,000 Bike - Full-XT the works. Wait for them to PD the bike, and off I Go....

So the bike shop definitely inspected the bike, and still delivered it faulty.... :o

If they claim that they did, then they are lying....doesn't matter what you should or shouldn't have done. If it was a chaotic situation that involves the fire department and red headed strippers the omission might be excused. :huh:

It seems as if the Hub has become the Consumer Protection Act for cycling.

It is amazing how many people complain on the Hub and the shop owners read the complaints and jump in and sort the issues out.

I'm not saying that Andrew Mclean or Chris Willemse (on another post) are at fault or that the complaints levelled at their shops were justified, but this forum is going miles towards forcing the Cycle Industry to clean up their service act.

No bike shop owner wants their name dragged through the Hub mud.

It is amazing how many people complain on the Hub and the shop owners read the complaints and jump in and sort the issues out.

I'm not saying that Andrew Mclean or Chris Willemse (on another post) are at fault or that the complaints levelled at their shops were justified, but this forum is going miles towards forcing the Cycle Industry to clean up their service act.

You are right! - amazing response to my issue since this thread.... (especially since Andrews's comment)

I have now received to be what is a real and genuine interest from the shop, manager and staff to resolve the issue asap.

Very comforting feeling....

glad to hear that it is getting sorted, but unfortunately gone are the days where shop assistants go the extra mile. They get away with doing very little. It is a pity that our labour laws cannot be more like america's. This way people would work so much harder/better

Well, twater and facespace can kill an entire egyptese regime. Don't underestimate social networking.

Flame away man, I think it's got something to do with the topic. The OP was hugely impulsive, didn't even check a R30k purchase for flaws etc. If it's so easy to drop that kind of cash, then why not buy the kid a nice bike? 5 grand with all the accessories is hardly a nice bike at all. Flame away though, I give rocks.

Dude, your argument is pathetic.

Dude, your argument is pathetic.

You mean the same as his arguments on pretty much every other thread he argues on?

Quick Update & Recap:

1. My Primary reason for the post was to establish if my "feelings" surrounding the issue were unreasonable - Obviously NOT, as most hubbers agree that it could have been handled better and that I could have expected more....

2. I never once stated that Cycle Lab was a bad operation, obviously they are not. I always knew that my issues would be resolved in the end (eventually), and I am very certain that my investment/purchase from them was always safe in terms of warranty, after sales support, etc.

3. From a Retail Experience, they are awesome!!! - you walk into the shop and immediately you want to SPEND the money you don't even have (yet). They have loads of stock, the place is super clean, comfortable and very professional. I suppose, this suits my impulsive personality perfectly.

4. Their staff is super friendly, professional, presentable and very approachable. With all my major purchases from them I have been able to get an audience with one of the managers on duty and were always able to get good discounts from them, always leaving with a feeling that I negotiated mutually good deal on top shelf products and service.

5. I am truly certain that they do have a very efficient and established customer service model in place. Their administration, paperwork, systems and procedures when purchasing products, servicing or standard communication all reflect that. They always follow up all new bike purchases in a very professional and personal way and this shows that they really do care about customer service.

6. Their sales model (in my opinion) could be addressed and improved. Not from a lack of sales person willingness, but more in a strategic way. Let me explain - first time I purchased a bike from them - I rocked up way early, they were actually still opening the shop, so I got lucky and the MANAGER helped me. He knew his story, was really helpful and informed and ultimately made me buy a bike in a category higher I was originally intending to. I never looked back and was happy with his advice and my choice. For the second bike purchase I was assisted by the guy who did the setup of the fist bike for me. Again, very informed, helpful and professional.

However, with my most recent and most significant purchase I walked in, and because it was a Saturday premium time, I was met by a line-up of sales people... "lucky me" i got "chosen" or attacked by the most friendly, energetic and eager newbie on the floor. I didn't really mind because I had done my homework and narrowed it down to 2 options I knew they stocked. Although he was super friendly, professional and helpful - he didn't know much ( about anything) technical. In fact, what he knew was dangerous - ... after I baited him by saying I want to spend between R25k and R35k on a new bike he opened his mouth and out came "...29er ;) " after he calmed down we looked at my two original options and I decided on my bike. Everyone should learn, and I really liked him as a sales person, I just felt that they should rather classify sales people based on experience and knowledge and ensure the match the customer/spend/sales person more strategically. When it came to the final negotiation I still had access to the manager and got the type of deal I was comfortable with. Again, a very happy purchase.

7. I guess my unhappiness with the current situation is more a "disappointment" in the way things played out. When you are used to that level of service and top shelf products you don't expect these small and irritating issues. I want to ride the bike, not talk about it on the hub's forums.

8. I have now had multiple communications from them today and it seems like I will be collecting the replacement bike tomorrow sometime.

9. If this is resolved by tomorrow (as promised) I will surly continue my business relationship with them as it's still one of the most impressive cycling retailers around - catering for all my impulsive purchasing needs (or fixes)...

Sad that your service was so lax.

When I started out 5 months ago I went to a few cycle shops in Cape Town, well apart from Cycle Teknix in Table View were I ended up buying my bike Glen at cyclelab in North Gate gave me good advise and spent a lot of time explaining things to me but never tried to pressurise me into buying anything.

Just breezed through the posts here and I am glad to say that I am too poor to be able to spend +R30k on bicycles without making sure that I am getting what I paid for. If it was me and my money, I would not have accepted bad sales people or their product, and I certainly would not have left any bike shop without checking that I had received what I had asked for. Just simply couldn't afford to...

Just breezed through the posts here and I am glad to say that I am too poor to be able to spend +R30k on bicycles without making sure that I am getting what I paid for. If it was me and my money, I would not have accepted bad sales people or their product, and I certainly would not have left any bike shop without checking that I had received what I had asked for. Just simply couldn't afford to...

+1.

Hell, even if I go and buy a new car for more than ten times the price this guy spent on a bike, I don't leave the dealer without checking it is exactly what I paid for. Or more to the point, I don't even go to the local Checkers and buy a loaf of bread without making sure that what I pay for is exactly what I wanted.

Meh. I guess some people have more money than brains. More power to em. I guess :unsure:

Oh, and look here from the cracked frame thread:

"They must have heard the crack or seen the dent because it was bad"

I cannot believe that you did not see that the day the bike was collected. if it was so bad....

I would not take the resposibility if I was the bike shop. There's no way that they are going to.

Which is it boys?

Quick Update & Recap:

Snip Sip

9. If this is resolved by tomorrow (as promised) I will surly continue my business relationship with them as it's still one of the most impressive cycling retailers around - catering for all my impulsive purchasing needs (or fixes)...

Yup you should have bought a Surly, impressive bikes these

http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/

Check out the Surley Big Dummy! - http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy_complete/