Am I being Unreasonable?

TheV

After spending R30k+ on a bike at an apparently reputable shop that is part of a high profile country wide chain, someone shouldn't have to make sure the bike is OK and to spec before leaving.

+ 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'largest' certainly doesnt mean best or cheapest. you seem to have had a crappy experience. i would insist on getting proper value for money, and if they cant perform, get your money back and go elsewhere. there are much better options out there...

Hey Chubba - this will be my first "above average level" MTB investment. I coming over from a long history as a roadie and at this point i want to upgrade my current Merida TFS 500 to something more racy.

Mostly i want something that is light, climbs super well as that is my strength/talent and something i can do a couple of races with later on... will prob use it for 12 to 18 months and then upgrade again if i continue to enjoy MTB as much as i do currently.

Respect!! You clearly have a target and not a budget. Regarding the question - demand cash back and support a LBS near you, as MTB can be quite maintenance/repair intensive and when you've got ten thumbs like me you gonna be in there quite often.

Giant Anthem X (26 or 29) is about R30k

+1 (But there are LOTS of bikes in the price bracket you're talking about)

Try (in no particular order and only because they're all close to me) Mike Bikes (Greenside), Northcliff Cycles (Cresta), Linden Cycles, Dunkeld Cycles - I'm sure you'll receive good service and a fair price.

You are entitled to get your money back, in theory, and by the CPA rules too...but

...I have three points here:

1 - why didn't you inspect the bike properly when you took delivery of it? I normally go through every single inch of a new bike when I purchase, and I'd call them on things like damaged hex nuts, scratches etc. If there's a scratch on my bike, I would like to make it thanks.

2 - this part boggles me, so you drop 45k on two bikes, the last a seemingly impulsive purchase, since you didn't care to check a thing before you walk out, and then....you only buy your son a 5 grand bike??? I'm sorry but I'd be p!ssed if my old man treated himself like that and threw me a few scraps. When you have a roast at home do you take all the best cuts and give your son the scraps too? It should be the other way around, and for my kid I'd be ashamed to not get him a decent steed considering what I like to ride.

3 - Nothing wrong with SLX. It's not what you paid for, but it's easy come easy go it seems for you. I also find it poor form to go public and rant on this shop before it's been resolved. They're not sitting there every day thinking about just you dude. They likely have to deal with agents, get parts shipped etc. It's probably not even their fault that the bike was the wrong spec. Who knows how many ways that could happen. Next time you'll be more careful.

After spending R30k+ on a bike at an apparently reputable shop that is part of a high profile country wide chain, someone shouldn't have to make sure the bike is OK and to spec before leaving.

Agree. When spending money on a new bicycle, a car, or anything for that matter, I expect everything to be perfect. I'll only really test and check when buying second-hand.

I follow my gut. If the service and what they tell me doesn't make sense than chances are I won't do business with them again.

Thanks Chubba -

Price ranges and who will actually have around 18.5" in stock?

Morewood - you can contact rush sports, they will sort you out - Rushsports (goes for around 35k for top spec)

Santa Cruz - get in touch with Dragon Sports Dragon

Yeti - not to sure

Specialized - Search Spesh

I know this has been discussed at length more than once on other threads, but I dont agree.

I understand the expectation that we expect a reputable shop to deliver a 100% perfect new product first time every time.

Reality has proven this expectation to be unrealistic.

To protect ourselves from disappointment and unnecessary hassles later it’s better to expect something to be wrong and to try and find it yourself before leaving the scene and your $$$$$ behind. All of the OP’s problems were obvious and would not have been difficult to spot.

I understand the expectation that we expect a reputable shop to deliver a 100% perfect new product first time every time.

Reality has proven this expectation to be unrealistic.

To protect ourselves from disappointment and unnecessary hassles later it’s better to expect something to be wrong and to try and find it yourself before leaving the scene and your $$$$$ behind. All of the OP’s problems were obvious and would not have been difficult to spot.

Actually it is not unrealistic at all. It is a matter of all the right people pulling there thumbs out and making sure everything is done 100%. Simple procedures need to be followed and then it will become a reality

You are entitled to get your money back, in theory, and by the CPA rules too...but

...you only buy your son a 5 grand bike??? I'm sorry but I'd be p!ssed if my old man treated himself like that and threw me a few scraps. When you have a roast at home do you take all the best cuts and give your son the scraps too? It should be the other way around, and for my kid I'd be ashamed to not get him a decent steed considering what I like to ride.

3 - ....................................Next time you'll be more careful.

Dude

You carry a Flamesuit? if not get one , the man was merely creating context by stating what had happend before, secondly ,you have no idea (I suspect) how old this youngster is and if MTB is his thing ..............maybe it's to get him into the biking thing ,besides it's got nothing to do with the topic ,stay on topic !!

I'm the 'Off topic master" Hijack on and off!!!

1 - why didn't you inspect the bike properly when you took delivery of it? I normally go through every single inch of a new bike when I purchase, and I'd call them on things like damaged hex nuts, scratches etc. If there's a scratch on my bike, I would like to make it thanks.

2 - this part boggles me, so you drop 45k on two bikes, the last a seemingly impulsive purchase, since you didn't care to check a thing before you walk out, and then....you only buy your son a 5 grand bike??? I'm sorry but I'd be p!ssed if my old man treated himself like that and threw me a few scraps. When you have a roast at home do you take all the best cuts and give your son the scraps too? It should be the other way around, and for my kid I'd be ashamed to not get him a decent steed considering what I like to ride.

3 - Nothing wrong with SLX. It's not what you paid for, but it's easy come easy go it seems for you. I also find it poor form to go public and rant on this shop before it's been resolved. They're not sitting there every day thinking about just you dude. They likely have to deal with agents, get parts shipped etc. It's probably not even their fault that the bike was the wrong spec. Who knows how many ways that could happen. Next time you'll be more careful.

Nothing wrong with SLX, but he paid for XT - Thats what he should have got, there is no if or buts on this - the bike is speced as FULL XT. I would be pissed as well. The bike should have checked before hand by the shop.

I dont understand your stance on what he spent on his sons bike, why is that even an issue. Why should the son expect to get the same as his dad?

The OP also never mentioned a shop name, other did.

Edited by Caerus

Nothing wrong with SLX, but he paid for XT - Thats what he should have got, there is no if or buts on this - the bike is speced as FULL XT. I would be pissed as well. The bike should have checked before hand by the shop.

I dont understand your stance on what he spent on his sons bike, why is that even an issue. Why should the son expect to get the same as his dad?

C aerus +1 I answered the same time ,my feeling the same !:thumbup:

Money back.

They tried to sell my buddy a magiclight by telling him he wont need more than 2.5hrs lighting for the Baviaans... Did I miss something??!

This is most certainly not the norm and I can assure that I will make sure it is sorted out immediately.

you are 100% correct this is unacceptable service.

Please mail me your details;

andrew@cyclelab.com

Agree. When spending money on a new bicycle, a car, or anything for that matter, I expect everything to be perfect. I'll only really test and check when buying second-hand.

I follow my gut. If the service and what they tell me doesn't make sense than chances are I won't do business with them again.

There are a whole variety of Human Factors that are involved in delivering a product / service, unfortunately the word perfect and human cannot be used together. I work in an industry that relies on getting things done right for safety reasons and despite all sorts of safety procedures in place things still go wrong, yes even on brand new products.

Ok so cue TNT to now post a picture of a perfect she human.....

C aerus +1 I answered the same time ,my feeling the same !:thumbup:

I believe this was tongue in check stuff! ;)