Tokai: New DH trail

(Deon)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new track has claimed its first victim! Did the first drop , landed a bit skew, straight in to the hole where the big rock was moved. Bike stopped dead, over the bars and the bike hit me in the back of the head! Was classic. . .

Hmm :blush: :blush: Came off over first jump. Thought it was a flat landing and didnt have enough speed so front wheel hit poles and the Bike stopped dead, over the bars and the bike hit me in the back of the head . next time will learn to look before i ride :blush: My friend rolled over it but to the left side So i thought it was cool to ride over .

Hmm :blush: :blush: Came off over first jump. Thought it was a flat landing and didnt have enough speed so front wheel hit poles and the Bike stopped dead, over the bars and the bike hit me in the back of the head . next time will learn to look before i ride :blush: My friend rolled over it but to the left side So i thought it was cool to ride over .

Ouch :blink: The track was a bit mushy from the rain so getting up to speed was tricky.

I cleared a hike-trail for the trip back up.. it is the natural walking line so should be adopted to keep feet off the track and especially the transitions. Damn, feet are track killers!

post-13110-0-26339900-1312650125.jpg

The new DH/AM trail is going to be great, but it did not come about by magic.

This is what it looks like when the good mob weilds spades, picks, hacksaws, axes and McClouds in anger. Test riders are naturally always on hand and no sloppy dressers are allowed.

post-17716-0-24057700-1312657327.jpg

post-17716-0-67005200-1312657395.jpg

...no sloppy dressers are allowed.

Five tens - let me guess, that's the artist formerly known as Jarek Wysocki's snappy pants?

Sorry guys, would've liked to join, but I had a workflow system deployment to oversee this afternoon. Much less fun than trail wrangling!

DJR, how's your bionic collarbone coming along?

DJR, how's your bionic collarbone coming along?

Working great, btw, do you know who gave me his tube to strap my arm up? I'd like to return it with a bit of interest, and have no way of contacting him. Is he on the Hub?

Edited by DJR

Rode the track for the first time on Sunday and really enjoyed it, it flows very well and its possible to go quite fast. Especially the first 2 berms with the drop directly afterwards were flowing really well.

One thing to watch out for however is the rock on the right just before the first drop, much better to stick to the lefthand side and avoid that if you going to be riding at a medium speed. Otherwise you could end up having your front wheel go over the drop while your rear wheel is still on the rock, resulting in a very uncomfortable situation :)

One section we were unsure how to handle well was the sharpish righthand turn that follows near the end of the track just after the lefthand turn, small rock jump and drop. Seems at the moment like alot of people goes over the drop in the middle and then hit rear brake to slide around the corner, which seems to work but isnt so kind to the trail surface. We tried to rather go wide and then cut across the inside of the turn, and this kinda worked but I don't think im doing it 100% right yet. So that's definitely something that I'll need to practice some more.

Tell you what - while you wait for the downhills at Tokai to spontaneously mutate to your liking, why don't you work on your grammar and spelling (and perhaps even your attitude while you're at it).

He's a 15 year old kid. Stop being a d!ck

Wanted to say a *MASSIVE* thanks to all the guys that worked on the new DH trail. I did not contribute to the building, but I did get to ride it over the weekend ... and I am very impressed. Well done guys !! :clap: :clap:

In terms of a Mountain Uni trail for me it's amazing. It really offers me a lot in terms of riding and some skill tests. Keen to ride it when it has packed a little harder because the steeper sections near the bottom are quite tricky because of the lose soil :) I loved the trail, and the 2 of us that rode it on Saturday were smiling all the way down.

Was chatting to one of the guys that helped build the trail about the possibility of doing some specific Mountain Uni pieces in trails, which we are very keen on. Something that tests Uni skills and could be something quite different for anyone on 2 wheels.

Wanted to say a *MASSIVE* thanks to all the guys that worked on the new DH trail. I did not contribute to the building, but I did get to ride it over the weekend ... and I am very impressed. Well done guys !! :clap: :clap:

In terms of a Mountain Uni trail for me it's amazing. It really offers me a lot in terms of riding and some skill tests. Keen to ride it when it has packed a little harder because the steeper sections near the bottom are quite tricky because of the lose soil :) I loved the trail, and the 2 of us that rode it on Saturday were smiling all the way down.

Was chatting to one of the guys that helped build the trail about the possibility of doing some specific Mountain Uni pieces in trails, which we are very keen on. Something that tests Uni skills and could be something quite different for anyone on 2 wheels.

Gosh, you rode it? On one wheel?! You go uni-boy!!

What tests a uni-cyclists skills Keen to know.

Gosh, you rode it? On one wheel?! You go uni-boy!!

What tests a uni-cyclists skills Keen to know.

Yeah, great trail for a Uni :)

In terms of stuff for trails that really tests Uni skills ....

Tech downhill terrain

Short steep uphill/downhill, tight turns, negotiating obstacles while having to make turns, skinnies, drops, small gaps (don't have the momentum you guys have so can't make huge gaps).

Your new DH trail has a lot of these things in already. Parts of Boulders, the rock and roots gardens, are perfect for Uni. The trail that branches off Boulders, or rather goes straight down when you turn left into Boulders is another great trail for Uni. Drops and twists close to each other.

There are more examples in all the trails in Tokai that suit Uni very well, but it would be great to have some trails that are designed with Uni skills in mind :)

Yeah, nice one builders!

I rode the trail section between the Road Gap and the part where the trail splits and theres the drop off over the rock.

Very Very raad!

Super flowy, and just the right size jumps.

My biggest problem, more due to my skill, not the trail. Was the slightly offcamber long right turn befor the gap. Kept over braking and wasnt able to hit the gap due to too much lost speed.

But will def keep trying and try to resit breaking through that corner.....

Hope to see you all there soon, and also amped to help with my bit of building :)