Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new petrol price I might have to get my wife to start commuting with me in the mornings.

But how do you get an accountant that works for a image driven company on a bike to the office.

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/huge-hike-in-petrol-diesel-prices-20160530

My wife had the same problem when we were still in SA.  She worked for a big auditing and consulting firm.  The odd occation where she might have forgotten something at home she would phone me and ask if I could bring it on my way to work I would stop there on my commute.  Always got some funny looks when pulling in there with a bicycle.

With the new petrol price I might have to get my wife to start commuting with me in the mornings.

But how do you get an accountant that works for a image driven company on a bike to the office.

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/huge-hike-in-petrol-diesel-prices-20160530

I am a CA(SA) and financial director at my company.

My boss, collegues and other members of staff are in constant amazement that anyone would want to commute by bicycle ( especially in winter) but it appears that they take some reflected pride as I am often asked by suppliers and customers if I am the one who rides to work. 

Expensive bicycle? [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Wonder if Audi or Porsche makes a bike ;)

D-Mike get well soon .Bosmansdam dangerous at the best of times.Once tried to get away from the traffic by riding in the footpath next to the road untill I came to a abrupt stop because my bars were wider than the space between two poles supporting a road sign.

Life can change very quickly. I had a rather unexpected fall on Wednesday and ended up in hospital.

I was traveling along Bosmansdam road towards Marine drive. I was going over the bridge crossing the N7 and where cars join Bosmansdam road from the N7. This was at 6:30 in the morning. I was traveling slightly faster than the cars around me. 50-100m Ahead of me was a bus in the left lane with a bus stop another 150m on. I decided to stay on the white line until I passed the bus after which I would pull over to the far left. Next thing I know three paramedics are placing me in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

Unbeknown to me the authorities had begun to resurface sections of the road. Where I was riding the road surface was removed left of the white line but no on the right. This was not clearly demarcated and I could not pick it up in the dark. I do have a decent light so visibility is usually not a problem for me. Anyway I figure the bike slid from right to left causing me to overbalance to the right and the bike shot out under me to the left. Thank God I didn't land in front of a car and that a paramedic was in a car a short distance behind to look after me and called the ambulance.

The result of the fall a broken right clavicle, a broke right rib and the pelvis cracked in two places on the right hand side. As a result I cannot put weight on the right leg and I can't use crutches with the broken right clavicle. I will be wheel chair bound for 4 weeks after which I can begin to hobble around with 1 crutch for another 4 weeks. I have to rearrange my life so that I can do some work at home for the next 8 weeks.

I was going to be discharged from hospital yesterday. We did a final x-Ray on my shoulder to check if my new parts (plate in shoulder) was fitting well. Only we discovered that my right long had collapsed. So I got a tube protruding out of my long to relieve pressure and I won another two days in hospital.

All I can say, be careful out there. Things can change quickly. God bless

EINA!!!

Can you claim from the road accident fund ?

He can, but bear in mind that ANY claim from the RAF for an accident in which there were medical claims covered by a medical aid, the med aid has rights to ANY proceeds from the claim. It's written into the Medical Schemes Act. 

My commute route is broken...  

The one part they dug up the cycle path / pedestrian path, so that is a no go.  Getting closer to home they are doing some constructing work near the road, so part of the road is closed.  And going into the road way is not an option (Lynnwood near Hans Strijdom)

The alternative is also out due to construction work and road closure near Equestria.  Cycling next to Hans Strijdom is also a risk.  The guys cycling to Mamelodi is brave...

The 2nd option they are constructing and dug up most of the cycle paths and sides of the road.  So it seems that I will have to wait a bit.  No use in getting killed by these idiots that has 0 respect for other people on the roads...

My commute route is broken...  

The one part they dug up the cycle path / pedestrian path, so that is a no go.  Getting closer to home they are doing some constructing work near the road, so part of the road is closed.  And going into the road way is not an option (Lynnwood near Hans Strijdom)

The alternative is also out due to construction work and road closure near Equestria.  Cycling next to Hans Strijdom is also a risk.  The guys cycling to Mamelodi is brave...

The 2nd option they are constructing and dug up most of the cycle paths and sides of the road.  So it seems that I will have to wait a bit.  No use in getting killed by these idiots that has 0 respect for other people on the roads...

That section of Lynnwood road just before Hans Strijdom is a nightmare by default.

Wonder if Audi or Porsche makes a bike ;)

Not sure about Audi or Porsche, but BMW seem to have some nicely branded bikes.

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/P90056243.jpg

That section of Lynnwood road just before Hans Strijdom is a nightmare by default.

I tried cycling there once...  Never again...  There are just no rules left on SA roads.  People are doing just what they feel like.  Had one old ass hole with his BMW 5 series (old shape) that tried to push me off the road there.  Reason...  He tried to pass all the traffic waiting to go straight on Lynnwood.

And that is not even with the ground works next to the road there now.  Next time if we move, we will have to look for a place not to the East of Lynnwood as it is just a global stuff up going to the east of Hans Strijdom.

Not sure about Audi or Porsche, but BMW seem to have some nicely branded bikes.

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/P90056243.jpg

Oh that is pretty  :eek: