Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Had a similar experience as Nathrix just now. On a super busy section of road with no shoulder or sidewalk, I had a car starting to move towards the right as I approach from the back to make space and let me pass on the left. Yay!!

Yes, I have a magiclight, but being on the handlebar it does not help me much to see the watch and other goodies, and it is there that the 1 LED light on the helmet "shines"

Other lessons I learnt from my first commute today:

Having a very short cut hairstyle helps a lot in terms of quick cleaning and drying.

To have a small oil fin heater in your office under your desk makes for a great "defrosting device", as well as to dry an item or two, whilst keeping the legs nice and toasty..

Keep in contact with the "rhythm" of the traffic. It is a living animal and can snatch and bite... but luckily no war wounds for me today.

I LOVE my mtb as a commuter as I move with no effort from road to sidewalk to gravel where required... :-)

Although the bike bell can be heard from a reasonable distance (if the person is not listen to music through headphones), I think I am rather going to get a whistle of some sorts to up the decibels.

My track standing skills are going to be improving exponentially :clap:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That there is a silver lining to the roads that are cracked and has potholes when I remembered a slogan on a Merrell branded board : "That crack in the pavement is the earth smiling at you!" :D

1.Be carefull and slow on the cycletrack at the Lagoonbeach robots .Those slight corners at the robots are crashes waiting to happen if you come through there to fast and meet up with cyclists,walkers,cars.

2.If there is a puddle next to the road don't expect cars to give it a miss.Got a cold shower this morning on the way to work.

That there is a silver lining to the roads that are cracked and has potholes when I remembered a slogan on a Merrell branded board : "That crack in the pavement is the earth smiling at you!" :D

I have a few places in my neck of the woods where the earth is laughing without front teeth :D

I feel it's important to be seen - especially from the rear.

A Hi-Viz Bag Cover can only help.

--

How does this look?

Waterproof Bag Cover - Hi-Viz Yellow

Available here.

The bag cover fits snugly over your rucksack and will not flap around. It has two retention straps and an elasticated edging on the cover.

• - Reflective and Bright material
  • - Day-Glo Yellow Waterproof material with reflective tape at the sides
  • - Clealy visible by night
  • - Highly visible from the side and rear
  • - Fits bags from approx 20 - 40 litres capacity
  • - Elasticated edging and press stud fasteners ensures a snug fit

Available here:

www.sportsworld.co.za

post-42483-0-58179500-1403294214_thumb.jpg

post-42483-0-14252900-1403294219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sportsworld.co.za

Always scream at the taxi pulled over to the side of the road to let him know you passing him on the right and so as not to take you out.

Passing them on the left to risky with passengers erratically disembarking.

I love my 1600lumen light though most motorists do not I figured by the amount I get flashed at ( would rather still be seen and avoided ) been mistaken for a motorbike is always cool

Commuting on the MTB is awesome specially when theres single track next to the road and every little bump becomes a jump.

Pedestrians never move In the direction you expect

Taxi drivers are generally cool guys,(but I still *** when I hear one coming)

racing and beaten cars between traffic lights is great fun!!!

As hard as it is some mornings to get up and on the bike soon as im clipped in im happy no matter what the weather!

If you come racing past me like a twat and try to drop me - you can't... :thumbdown: and I WILL sit behind you until your legs fall off before I pass you and then leave you behind. :whistling: (You will recognize me as the guy with the big smile behind you! :clap: ) Or we can ride together and share the work, but if you want to be the one who dropped everyone on the commute today, think again. :devil:

Edited by The Commuter

If you come racing past me like a twat and try to drop me - you can't... :thumbdown: and I WILL sit behind you until your legs fall off before I pass you and then leave you behind. :whistling: (You will recognize me as the guy with the big smile behind you! :clap: ) Or we can ride together and share the work, but if you want to be the one who dropped everyone on the commute today, think again. :devil:
haha l love doing that especially when I'm on my MTB & he on his road bike.

About to do a night commute after finishing my shift .First one in a long time ,car at Auto elect.for the weekend.Bit more nervous about the late night than the early morning.May the drivers all be sober and driving carefully!!Will be hugging the edge of the road.

I noticed taxis and motorists give me more space(1.5m) and more respect on the road if I'm commuting with my backpack.

I reckon they see an ordinary guy on his way to work trying to make a living.

When I commute to work without my backpack they probably see a lycra clad nuisance.

Another thing is that I see my clothing are a lot looser when I commute. Need to get the bike out again and get my fat ass on the saddle...

1st time ever i get a sidewall cut on any of my tyres, this on my new front ikon tyre (+/- 2 weeks old) on my way to work this morning. I was already running late, luckily i was just 200 m away from Summit Cycles, so no need to put in a tube and waist my time and get my hands dirty, i went straight to Ivo, he was there 7:30 this morning and he dug out my old wobbly crossmark that was on there before and put it on the front with some fresh sealant :clap:

Ikona, never again, had plenty punctures with the Ikons on my niner at takwa trek, this morning's episode put the last nail in the coffin :thumbdown:

post-4329-0-34111900-1404291343_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-13577300-1404291345_thumb.jpg

put pants over shoes and wear a scarf when commuting in the early mornings is a MUST! although yesterday one chap did arrive to the morning group in his PJ'S :eek: :lol: I thought it was brilliant and a little awkward