Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask the question but I plan on commuting to work and I'd rather buy a second hand bike than mess up my MTB tyres..So should I buy a SS or Geared bike...I'ts about 10km to work..Riding from Soutpansberg to Faerie Glen..fair amount of hills..

Any advice would be appreciated.

If it gets you there, ride it. I found gears better for commuting, every now and then you find yourself leaving work with nothing in the tank, super low gearing helps for a sad chug home. Thats about the only thing i can think of that would swing me

Edited by DeFconOK

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask the question but I plan on commuting to work and I'd rather buy a second hand bike than mess up my MTB tyres..So should I buy a SS or Geared bike...I'ts about 10km to work..Riding from Soutpansberg to Faerie Glen..fair amount of hills..

Give SS a try on your MTB. Put it in one gear and ride all the way. No cheating. Then you'll know.

And then enjoy your new built project. :P

I am surrounded by people that try to kill me everyday. They are not friendly. They dont look left or right. They are in a huge hurry to get to work at 6am. They dont stop at stop streets. They dont stop at robots. They dont stop at pedestrian crossings. They dont use their indicators. They cross solid white lines. They drive in the emergency lane and sometimes on the pavement as well. They talk on their cell phones whilst driving. They do their make up whilst driving. They read newspapers whilst driving. They pick their noses and have a quick swig from a half jack.

Woe is me on my 2 wheels as I make my way to and from work everyday.

Would you ever rather be one of those people though?

We have a secret that nobody else could be bothered to hear.... bicycles are better

oh ya some tosser in a Porsche thought he was funny on my trip home last night, hooting at me like mad while I was as far left as possible. he came past me way to close, side mirror almost brushing my elbow. He then turned into the Spar parking about 200m down the road. It took all my strength to not give the Porsche a fancy pinstripe with my house key!!

why not? 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. he hates cyclists more and aims for the next one he sees (didn't he already?)

2. he realises that selfish and dangerous driving is going to cost him time (since money is plentiful, and time is money, so his time > his money, right?)

I ride pretty much the same route ... there's no 'real' hills unless you hit Meiring Naude or go over Klapperkop.

1) Going through Hatfield, either ride like a dwis or rode on the sidewalk

2) Going past the Brooklyn circle via Jan Shoba, then back towards Brooklyn / Dely road is prettier and flatter than going straight up Brooklyn road, and only adds about 2km to your trip

3) Shortest / fastest / safest route is up Jan Shoba to the Brooklyn circle, then Albert road to Dely, Dely to Garsfontein (great sidewalk on the south side) and from there either take Louis Botha (I think January Masilela now?) or up to Issie smuts, then to Serene (with a nice hill on either end)

I'll be back on the bike next week if you want a partner for a day or two - I leave Queenswood around 07:30 or so.

Unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a new bike just use the mtb.

My experience is that tyres don't wear hugely. If one really wants to get pedantic, it's unlikely you'll recoup the cost of the bike in tyre savings - particularly as you'll be buying tyres for the new bike anyway.

When cars que at a robot, there is always one arse that will stop so far left on the road that you cannot get past. Pedestrians will never move over for you on a cycle path and cars do not use indicators.

I can relate somewhat. The ratio of pedestrians that shuffle left and right and left and right when I approach in a straight line (heading in opposite directions) is 1:1. They ALWAYS move in front of me in an attempt to get out of the way. Its really annoying. I really want to slap them as I pass and say "move straight". *sigh*

I had the exact same concern. I cycled exclusively offroad MTB until it became too expensive to drive out 50km to the nearest track. Eventually (I waited a really long time for Coimbra to get stock of the tyres), I bought a pair of CST Traveller's (26x1.5 mtb slicks) and they make a huge difference to riding pace on the road in addition to not destroying my panaracer xc's.

The only issue I would mention in swopping between mtb and road tyres is that it is a right pain and mission to mount the stiff wire bead road tyres. seriously. Took me 45 minutes yesterday- maybe the rubber shrinks in the cold as well.

EDIT:

should probably add, why would you buy a second bike for such a short distance? Even if you didn't go with the mtb road slick option, there are shallow profile mtb tyres available which won't cost an arm and a leg, or even a nail!

Edited by Dirkitect

I had the exact same concern. I cycled exclusively offroad MTB until it became too expensive to drive out 50km to the nearest track. Eventually (I waited a really long time for Coimbra to get stock of the tyres), I bought a pair of CST Traveller's (26x1.5 mtb slicks) and they make a huge difference to riding pace on the road in addition to not destroying my panaracer xc's.

The only issue I would mention in swopping between mtb and road tyres is that it is a right pain and mission to mount the stiff wire bead road tyres. seriously. Took me 45 minutes yesterday- maybe the rubber shrinks in the cold as well.

EDIT:

should probably add, why would you buy a second bike for such a short distance? Even if you didn't go with the mtb road slick option, there are shallow profile mtb tyres available which won't cost an arm and a leg, or even a nail!

Sounds like you need a set of dedicated commuter wheels

Any recommendations for good tubeless commuter tyres (26")?

I'm referring to 1.5" and narrower.

E.g. do the Shwalbe Marathons work as tubeless tyres?

EDIT:

If I end up doing this I'd be making a half-way stop to the gym in the morning.I could live with it If they steel a R2000 second hand bike but im not going to be impressed if my MTB is gone..Not that I think i'ts likely to happen but I've seen it happen at another gym before..The bike frame was there but no front wheel.

Sounds like you need a set of dedicated commuter wheels

good point, but unfortunately unaffordable on a student budget with an XO groupset :( will keep it in mind though, thanks!

If I end up doing this I'd be making a half-way stop to the gym in the morning.I could live with it If they steel a R2000 second hand bike but im not going to be impressed if my MTB is gone..Not that I think i'ts likely to happen but I've seen it happen at another gym before..The bike frame was there but no front wheel.

fair enough! :whistling: it'll also cause insurance premium spike.

What I learnt last night (probably all of us could anticipate it anyways) is that people driving cars will rather speed past your right to take a left turnoff as opposed to waiting 5 seconds to pass on your left. *sigh*

Any recommendations for good tubeless commuter tyres (26")?

I'm referring to 1.5" and narrower.

E.g. do the Shwalbe Marathons work as tubeless tyres?

Guess I've answered my own question after reading this thread. I run 1.75" Conti Travel Contacts on ZTR Crest rims - currently tubed. After reading that thread I'll go ahead and make them tubeless then.

If it gets you there, ride it. I found gears better for commuting, every now and then you find yourself leaving work with nothing in the tank, super low gearing helps for a sad chug home. Thats about the only thing i can think of that would swing me

I hear you brother :thumbup: . I was toying with the SS idea for a while, but since my route includes Boyes Drive from Kalkbay's side........sanity prevailed :mellow: purely for those "flat', "empty tank" days of course :ph34r:

I hear you brother :thumbup: . I was toying with the SS idea for a while, but since my route includes Boyes Drive from Kalkbay's side........sanity prevailed :mellow: purely for those "flat', "empty tank" days of course :ph34r:

I made my one road bike a SS. And though the hills can be a Jacob Zuma, just setting foot at the top is worth it. And I can focus on traffic. No need to worry about gear changes. Just put it down.

Worried tonight on my way home. Was expecting a huge bonk, but went rather well. Only felt a bit weak on the stairs to get into the domicile.

Packed a bit of Recovery products from USN for tomorrow. Know the 35 days off the bike will catch me, and my cheeks are feeling it...