Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

My commute home yesterday was very abruptly cut short by a pedestrian who decided that running across the traffic was a great idea. Braking as hard as I could I could not stop in time. The lady in question was clearly as tough as a buffalo as she promptly got up, dusted herself off and ran off ??

I was still standing there my bike still in the road and she was gone. The front rim snapped, wheel is totaled :blink: .. 1 week to go to the Argus

attachicon.gifFront Wheel.jpg

So you rolled the dice and it didn't fall right for you.[emoji33]

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My commute home yesterday was very abruptly cut short by a pedestrian who decided that running across the traffic was a great idea. Braking as hard as I could I could not stop in time. The lady in question was clearly as tough as a buffalo as she promptly got up, dusted herself off and ran off ??

I was still standing there my bike still in the road and she was gone. The front rim snapped, wheel is totaled :blink: .. 1 week to go to the Argus

attachicon.gifFront Wheel.jpg

Learnt the hard way that of you can't avoid the collision with a pedestrian at all, lean into then add in a tackle and you come off far better

Going to sound nasty, but I hope that pedestrian can't walk for the next week.

The bloody things are starting to become a real problem. Think it is time to ride with pepper spray again.

.........................I was still standing there my bike still in the road and she was gone. The front rim snapped, wheel is totaled  :blink: .

Are you sure this bike isn't just trying to become a unicycle? ;)

So you rolled the dice and it didn't fall right for you.[emoji33]

lol ... yup ... a very pink one  :D

Learnt the hard way that of you can't avoid the collision with a pedestrian at all, lean into then add in a tackle and you come off far better

I did end up leading with my right shoulder, more out of instinct than anything else, which did connect and probably stopped me from going over the handle bars.

Are you sure this bike isn't just trying to become a unicycle? ;)

lol ... you could be onto something there. Actually walking down the road with the front wheel in the air I did wish that it was a unicycle so that I could carry on riding.

I spend waaaay more than my fuel bill on canteen lunch.....but it's still worth it. 3pm is a serious wall

Energy drops/hitting the wall all comes down to the quality of your nutrition. If you're eating a lot of cheap, low quality carbs full of sugar/starch, you're not fueling right. There's nothing but crap in a canteen.

I bring my own food to work, so I'm 100% sure of the quality I'm getting. And it's much, much cheaper than canteen/take-out food. It's been a few years since I experienced any sort of energy dip during the day.

The way I do it is make it all on the weekend (I'm lucky the missus likes to cook) and then make up a whole bunch of tupperware meals that go into the freezer. When I get up in the morning all I do is go to the freezer and pull out a frozen meal, into a plastic bag and into my backpack, and I'm rolling out the door in seconds.

Then for snacks, etc. I have a bag of apples/plums & homemade biltong in my desk drawer, macadamia nut butter in the fridge, and so on.

Nearly happened yesterday, 3 women walking to work having a fat chat and no one thought to look right!

Its starting to get cold in the mornings now, c'mon its only the start of March.

Got that chilled feeling yesterday morning. Fudge it was cold. But I had to use the motorbike.

Will do the commute thing from next week on. At least I can walk again.

Energy drops/hitting the wall all comes down to the quality of your nutrition. If you're eating a lot of cheap, low quality carbs full of sugar/starch, you're not fueling right. There's nothing but crap in a canteen.

I bring my own food to work, so I'm 100% sure of the quality I'm getting. And it's much, much cheaper than canteen/take-out food. It's been a few years since I experienced any sort of energy dip during the day.

The way I do it is make it all on the weekend (I'm lucky the missus likes to cook) and then make up a whole bunch of tupperware meals that go into the freezer. When I get up in the morning all I do is go to the freezer and pull out a frozen meal, into a plastic bag and into my backpack, and I'm rolling out the door in seconds.

Then for snacks, etc. I have a bag of apples/plums & homemade biltong in my desk drawer, macadamia nut butter in the fridge, and so on.

Admittedly I am not a serious cyclist and tend to do this for fun and a bit of exercise so I do not put too much effort into eating as well as (it seems) you eat. It is a good suggestion and I prefer to bring my own grub always - this time though my bag was bursting at the seems due to carrying work clothes for 2 so a meal was out of the question. Luckily the canteen is OK with some relatively quality options, but agreed that I could do better. thank you for your advice, I am sure if I start making more a habit out of it I will need to do something about a) better/quality food and b) more calories as a few times in 2 weeks has seen me drop quite a lot of weight (but this may stabilise).

I see you're in Dbn - you don't know of a group going between Morningside/Berea/Glenwood areas towards Umhlanga in the mornings and vice versa in the afternoons? Desperately looking for a buddy to commute with.

Admittedly I am not a serious cyclist and tend to do this for fun and a bit of exercise so I do not put too much effort into eating as well as (it seems) you eat. It is a good suggestion and I prefer to bring my own grub always - this time though my bag was bursting at the seems due to carrying work clothes for 2 so a meal was out of the question. Luckily the canteen is OK with some relatively quality options, but agreed that I could do better. thank you for your advice, I am sure if I start making more a habit out of it I will need to do something about a) better/quality food and b) more calories as a few times in 2 weeks has seen me drop quite a lot of weight (but this may stabilise).

I see you're in Dbn - you don't know of a group going between Morningside/Berea/Glenwood areas towards Umhlanga in the mornings and vice versa in the afternoons? Desperately looking for a buddy to commute with.

Sorry I don't know of anyone that side unfortunately. I live in Westville and work in Springfield Park.

Passing cars lined up in JHB traffic is the best motivation. Ever.

Normally i totally agree, however I'm coming down with flu so the last two mornings i have been stuck in a car in the traffic. its torture. especially this morning when the robots were out. :cursing:

Sorry I don't know of anyone that side unfortunately. I live in Westville and work in Springfield Park.

Cool man, thanks anyway

This morning at Woodbridge Island I noticed there is big patch of burnt grass next to the cycle lane. Does anyone know what that is about?