Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Yoh - almost got knocked off my bike this morning.

Closest incident I have had in ages. Going straight through the first circle in Technopark - I usually own most of the lane when going through circles, but today I was a bit more laid back. Traffic was quiet, I was chilled. I wasn't having to fight for my life for my safety. Or so I thought.

I'm halfway through the circle and I feel a knock on my elbow. Naturally, I sh!t myself before realising what is happening. A woman in a car has pretty much gone over the hump in the middle of the circle and is trying to pass me mid-circle. Her wing mirror clips my elbow and I swerve towards the right. Luckily, I catch it and am able to swerve the other way, away from her wheels and towards safety. She doesn't even bat an eyelid, and as she drives away, I see she has one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and in her other hand she is holding her phone on her lap. Her head is down, looking at said phone.

I naturally yell a few expletives (I did not flip her the bird) and shake my head (while hoping that I hadn't actually sh@t myself). Nothing from her as she drives away, oblivious. I eventually get to the office, park my bike, and there is a guy there waiting, shaking his head. He was in the car behind and couldn't believe what he'd just seen. He'd sh@t himself too because he thought he was going to ride over me. He apologised profusely, even after I told him that it wasn't his fault. If I had a bottle of whiskey in my desk drawer, I think it would be half finished by now.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year my winter gear consisted of a pair of arm warmers and some knee warmers. I think I only got wet a handful of times, thanks to the drought. In terms of commuting, a perfect winter. In terms of water supplies, the worst winter ever.

That said, it was quite a lot colder last year than it usually is for a Cape winter. I'm good to ride without gloves down to about 6 or 7 degrees, but there were quite a few mornings where the temperature was 3 or 4, and riding without gloves in those temperatures is "character building".

I have booties, but never wear them. I always find it's worse getting the trickle of cold water that oozes in from the top into the shoe than it is getting the water off the road gradually wetting your feet. I just wear my old shoes when it rains.

Last year I got wet on quite a few occasions. Had some memorable commutes.

There were times when I was so drenched, I could have filled a glass of water by wringing out my socks, and another glass by wringing out the padding in my bibs. I actually quite enjoyed it.

The only difference now is that I changed jobs, and I no longer have the luxury of having a space to dry out my clothes in front of a fan heater. So if I get drenched, I'll be stuck with the wet clothes, hence I need to get proper waterproof kit that will dry quickly.

There were times when I was so drenched, I could have filled a glass of water by wringing out my socks, and another glass by wringing out the padding in my bibs. I actually quite enjoyed it.

The only difference now is that I changed jobs, and I no longer have the luxury of having a space to dry out my clothes in front of a fan heater. So if I get drenched, I'll be stuck with the wet clothes, hence I need to get proper waterproof kit that will dry quickly.

I don't mind getting wet - like you said - it can be quite enjoyable. Makes you feel hardcore and committed and tough. But starting in the rain? I'm not that hardcore, committed or tough!

I'll have a car day and get on the Wattbike when I get home to show my hardcoredness, commitment and toughness ;)

Closest incident I have had in ages. Going straight through the first circle in Technopark - I usually own most of the lane when going through circles, but today I was a bit more laid back. Traffic was quiet, I was chilled. I wasn't having to fight for my life for my safety. Or so I thought.

I'm halfway through the circle and I feel a knock on my elbow. Naturally, I **** myself before realising what is happening. A woman in a car has pretty much gone over the hump in the middle of the circle and is trying to pass me mid-circle. Her wing mirror clips my elbow and I swerve towards the right. Luckily, I catch it and am able to swerve the other way, away from her wheels and towards safety. She doesn't even bat an eyelid, and as she drives away, I see she has one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and in her other hand she is holding her phone on her lap. Her head is down, looking at said phone.

I naturally yell a few expletives (I did not flip her the bird) and shake my head (while hoping that I hadn't actually sh@t myself). Nothing from her as she drives away, oblivious. I eventually get to the office, park my bike, and there is a guy there waiting, shaking his head. He was in the car behind and couldn't believe what he'd just seen. He'd sh@t himself too because he thought he was going to ride over me. He apologised profusely, even after I told him that it wasn't his fault. If I had a bottle of whiskey in my desk drawer, I think it would be half finished by now.

:eek:  :eek:

Glad you ok - go find the whiskey!

getting wet is fine ... putting the same wet or damp clothes on at the end of the work day is a horrid experience ... something that I also have to live with in winter.

I pack in a spare base layer for the ride home, but pulling on a cold damp/wet chamois is a test of character I tell you.

I'm halfway through the circle and I feel a knock on my elbow. Naturally, I **** myself before realising what is happening. A woman in a car has pretty much gone over the hump in the middle of the circle and is trying to pass me mid-circle. Her wing mirror clips my elbow and I swerve towards the right. Luckily, I catch it and am able to swerve the other way, away from her wheels and towards safety. She doesn't even bat an eyelid, and as she drives away, I see she has one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and in her other hand she is holding her phone on her lap. Her head is down, looking at said phone.

I need whiskey reading this. Glad you are ok.

Last year my winter gear consisted of a pair of arm warmers and some knee warmers. I think I only got wet a handful of times, thanks to the drought. In terms of commuting, a perfect winter. In terms of water supplies, the worst winter ever.

That said, it was quite a lot colder last year than it usually is for a Cape winter. I'm good to ride without gloves down to about 6 or 7 degrees, but there were quite a few mornings where the temperature was 3 or 4, and riding without gloves in those temperatures is "character building".

I have booties, but never wear them. I always find it's worse getting the trickle of cold water that oozes in from the top into the shoe than it is getting the water off the road gradually wetting your feet. I just wear my old shoes when it rains.

Funny how perspective can change.  I would think twice about cycling when temps would go below 5.  Now I get all excited just riding in + temps at the moment.

Funny how perspective can change.  I would think twice about cycling when temps would go below 5.  Now I get all excited just riding in + temps at the moment.

I used to have a "no riding below 8 degrees" rule when I was younger. Being cold wasn't fun.

Now, not riding my bike is worse than getting cold (well, driving in traffic is worse than getting cold).

I do look back on my life with a bit of regret - all those days of bike riding that I missed out on :(

I used to have a "no riding below 8 degrees" rule when I was younger. Being cold wasn't fun.

Now, not riding my bike is worse than getting cold (well, driving in traffic is worse than getting cold).

I do look back on my life with a bit of regret - all those days of bike riding that I missed out on :(

Hitting the nail on the head.

Now, imagine trying to explain to a normal sane person how cycling in the freezing cold and not being able to feel your nether regions is better than sitting in a warm, cozy car with a cup of hot chocolate/coffee...

I'll have to catch up with the commuting challenge when I'm allowed back on my bike!

Anyone driving a car / bus or whatever should come spend a few hours or a day at a hospital with accident patients.

The respect will then be established.

I suppose dressing like a Christmas tree (lights) could help us but respect would get us further.

Glad I'm recovering well and not too badly hurt given the impact.

Keep it safe guys and I hope respect can be established.

I'm at the rehab centre now but brain isn't doing too badly so hopefully not too long.

Scary I lost 2-3 weeks of memory but if not I may have just panicked and pulled brakes when on the bike again in the future.

Speedy recovery FL

Last Thursday a driver complimented me on my reflexes as I just escaped riding into an opening car door, at 35-40kmh. Those people that live in absolute oblivion and think the entire world should know that they are getting out of the car. Oke must have stood there for a while, as I usually look at least 500m ahead to see who is parking. This is Main Road, Muizenberg - Kalk Bay. 

So, the compliment came from a car that was behind me, from which the driver witness the spectacle. He opened the passenger's door window and said: "Awesome reflexes dude!" 

People in the Netherlands are told to open the car door with the inside hand so they are forced to reach over and look over the shoulder at the same time to look for on-coming traffic. 

They implement this rule in SA as well! 

I was nearly taken out in SA on Beach Rd when a woman opened her door suddenly. When I swerved to avoid collision she just laughed at me. I was tempted to stop and give a PK but I was raised better than that so she was just as lucky as I was. 

People in the Netherlands are told to open the car door with the inside hand so they are forced to reach over and look over the shoulder at the same time to look for on-coming traffic. 

They implement this rule in SA as well! 

I was nearly taken out in SA on Beach Rd when a woman opened her door suddenly. When I swerved to avoid collision she just laughed at me. I was tempted to stop and give a PK but I was raised better than that so she was just as lucky as I was. 

Yep. That's where I got my driver's license. About 30'000 ZAR, but it went far. From the driver's point of view it also makes a lot of sense. You don't want your door to hang loose and replace that. But I don't understand that people don't just even check their mirror. Oblivion.

What must be said that there are also twats behind the wheel in The Netherlands...