Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

That was you wife smacking you for not taking her to the station by car.  :whistling:

Haha, what car? We had two cars when living in Cape Town but getting around here is faster on a bike. Owning a car while living in Amsterdam does not seem like something we want in our lives. I have become very comfortable carrying a lot of stuff on the bike. 

Any hypothetical kids will earn themselves a seat on the bike :P  

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter lives in Rotterdam and was never a fanatical cyclist.But now thinks nothing of riding 8kms to work in her work clothes during winter.

We even talk via whatsapp while she is riding home.

My wife was never a cyclist except in her youth, like every normal kid in the 80's. She cycles just about every day rain or hail. We stay away from cycling in the snow cause of the layer of ice hiding underneath. 

Friends lived in London for a few years.  Cycled rain or shine .....

Back here they parked the bikes and drive everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of glass in the cycle lane this morning (Albert Road stretch). Hope nobody got punctures, especially those on Road Bikes.

West Coast side also saw lots of glass this morning

This morning while on my commute  I confronted an oke on Liesbeeck Parkway just after the N2 intersection heading into town.

No lights, jumped the red lights at speed at the major n2 intersection under the bridge, earphones and refused to use cycle lane.

Was expecting aggression but instead got an arrogant gesture to carry on and mind my own business lol.

Hope I got some sort of message across.

Not really cycle commuting related, however I was on my scooter on HP, I had stopped at a set of robots behind a handyman's bakkie with ladders and paint in it. He pulls off from the robot when it turns green and the tailgate falls open, only being held up by the rope on the cover...the one ladder almost slides out and it starts tipping over a bucket of paint.

I manage to get up alongside his drivers window and start gesturing that there is a problem at the back - to which he answers "F** off" and waves his hand at me so I keep on at him and he keeps up the same attitude until he winds down his window to shout at me, at which point I yell that his stuff is about to fall out his bakkie....

He then quickly pulls over to sort out the issue - but it made me think, here I am trying to help and not have  his stuff fall out his vehicle and cause a potential accident and I'm the one getting told to eff off....what has this place come to?

I've done both a few times, experienced similar responses and now just leave them to neuk voort :whistling: 

reminds me of this... https://youtu.be/CssNKxf7z6w 

404 error, would you kindly confirm if it is still available?

Thorns, thorns, glass everywhere... [emoji107]

Got me 2 days in a row now.

Makes me think of my day today, cut some palm trees and went to the local dump site, when I came back I had one tyre on the trailer with about ten holes that needed to be plugged, according to my one worker I reversed over some Palm branches. ????

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

Forgot gloves this morning so had to ride with both hands in my jacket pockets to prevent frostbite. The best thing is that backpedal breaking does not need hands for slowing down. 

HARDCORE ALERT :eek:  :clap:

Forgot gloves this morning so had to ride with both hands in my jacket pockets to prevent frostbite. The best thing is that backpedal breaking does not need hands for slowing down. 

What about emergency braking? Oh wait, you're not in South Africa, no need to emergency brake...

What about emergency braking? Oh wait, you're not in South Africa, no need to emergency brake...

When you share a bike lane with scooters and tourists that step onto the path without looking, then you will quickly see that cycling here requires fast reactions.

It does help that I am 6.4 and sit upright on a 60cm frame. I have learnt to scout ahead a look for trouble. Taking my hands out only when I come to a stop as I have not yet learnt to track stand.   

Riding no hands in sand on MTB back in South Africa has taught me a bit about balance and falling :P 

Been one of those weeks .... finishing the days at some remote site and driving straight home in the car.

I MISS my commute !!!!

When you share a bike lane with scooters and tourists that step onto the path without looking, then you will quickly see that cycling here requires fast reactions.

It does help that I am 6.4 and sit upright on a 60cm frame. I have learnt to scout ahead a look for trouble. Taking my hands out only when I come to a stop as I have not yet learnt to track stand.   

Riding no hands in sand on MTB back in South Africa has taught me a bit about balance and falling :P

As someone who has learned how to track stand, doing so hands-free is a whole different story and transitioning from hands-free riding into a hands-free track stand... it's giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Your core must be made of steel  :eek: