Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

So this morning while commuting in the rain I learned that the white paint on pavement curbs are extremely slippery when wet.

Twice....

Now sitting at work nursing some bruises and can't wait to cycle back home in my wet, cold & muddy cycling kit  :wacko:

Not the best of commuting days for me!

I learnt that, the very hard way, about 30 years ago, whilst delivering newspapers.

When it gets really cold my right wrist still reminds me that it had 2 bones trying to poke through the skin.

Even in the dry now I dont cross the white lines when cornering.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seem some drainage covers being replaced with thick plastic/recycled material, which is awesome as the chances is little less they will get nicked for scrap metal.

Since the guys are re-manufacturing these, can't the council request to have the slits run perpendicular to the direction of the road - less chance of pinch flats should you be forced closer to the pavement whilst commuting .. :)

• 4 weeks later...

My first afternoon commute in way tooooo long.  :ph34r:   :whistling:

Have been getting some trail time, and been doing a fair bit of Zwift ....

NOTHING like a good sweat directly after work !!!

Had bad traffic today, stuck at robots, vehicles too close to the curb, not a smooth commute .... but damn, so much better than Zwift !!!  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

due to my short commute I may well still do a Zwift to get more miles ....  :whistling:   or maybe I need to leave something in the tank for tomorrow morning's commute ....  :ph34r:

I decided last week to try a light helping of “the commute”. Melville-Samrand & back, 40km per direction. How bad can it be?

I want to thank the old-timers on here for keeping the thread alive - I pretty much spent the weekend getting psyched (&scared!)

Well, I survived today, all of 80km & 1200m of climbing ????

I’ll do 2 more this week & post a bit of reflection over the weekend ????

YASSSSSIIISSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ok just wanted to share, did not want to start a whole new thread, maybe I should.

driving and cellphones ..........(insert the ugliest swear words you know)

So I am driving to work about 1 and half hours back. I am wondering why is the traffic so slow almost standing still and then it suddenly moves. I am like WTF

Anyway, I manage to make my way from one lane to the next and what do I see, drivers letting the car roll along while the busy heavily engaged in either typing or watching or reading something on their cellphones. Yassis!!! selfish road user. a few 100m and again the same thing, and so on and son until I made it into CBD. Man I must have encountered at least 8 drivers doing this. 

To all you wanna be self drive car owners you ma se 3 week old blik septic fish........

YASSSSSIIISSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ok just wanted to share, did not want to start a whole new thread, maybe I should.

driving and cellphones ..........(insert the ugliest swear words you know)

So I am driving to work about 1 and half hours back. I am wondering why is the traffic so slow almost standing still and then it suddenly moves. I am like WTF

Anyway, I manage to make my way from one lane to the next and what do I see, drivers letting the car roll along while the busy heavily engaged in either typing or watching or reading something on their cellphones. Yassis!!! selfish road user. a few 100m and again the same thing, and so on and son until I made it into CBD. Man I must have encountered at least 8 drivers doing this. 

To all you wanna be self drive car owners you ma se 3 week old blik septic fish........

My absolute pet hate of commuting. I am actually not that annoyed by people talking on their phones while driving anymore because at least those f^&$rs are looking where they going. But those imbecile drivers that completely shut out the rest of the world while being completely absorbed with whatever is on their phone screens!  :cursing:

Yesterday I had to dodge a driver drifting into the yellow lane in slow traffic being distracted by his phone. Few 100 meters later I heard cars hooting, looked back and saw the guy did not even notice traffic was free flowing again as his car was still stationary with him on his phone while blocking everyone behind him.

My absolute pet hate of commuting. I am actually not that annoyed by people talking on their phones while driving anymore because at least those f^&$rs are looking where they going. But those imbecile drivers that completely shut out the rest of the world while being completely absorbed with whatever is on their phone screens!  :cursing:

Yesterday I had to dodge a driver drifting into the yellow lane in slow traffic being distracted by his phone. Few 100 meters later I heard cars hooting, looked back and saw the guy did not even notice traffic was free flowing again as his car was still stationary with him on his phone while blocking everyone behind him.

I am so glad I do not have to drive in weekday traffic !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Never to young to start commuting.Caught the 4.30 bike bus from Ct Train Lodge and enjoyed the company of a 2 or 3 year old riding with his dad ,until they turned off at Woodstock.

Big Up young man!!

• 3 weeks later...

26/08/2019 Commute, thanks to these guys for letting me tag along.

8c661b1177aa98616743562d046eff42.jpg

d9249a60dade2ef6124b462418348a73.jpg

13063a1d5722fe43243add789104b1b1.jpg

Hey Hey ... that's my group :P

I replied to your twitter message with my contact details so that I can add you to the Whatsapp group .... sorry I missed you ... on Thursdays I get a lift in with a friend for the morning leg.

I see it was a small group on Thursday morning!

thanks will respond shortly. By the time we got to Woodbridge Island it must’ve swelled to at least +-15 and still picking up more alone the way.

thanks will respond shortly. By the time we got to Woodbridge Island it must’ve swelled to at least +-15 and still picking up more alone the way.

15/16 is a normal group ... on a good day we are around the 20 riders mark with really good days on 25 riders.