Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer a headwind in the morning, cycling home into a headwind isn't the best.

Definitely  :ph34r:

But in general for the southern peninsula commuters "afternoon headwind" (SE) is the norm  :P  

post-20017-0-17919700-1574863583_thumb.png

I'd prefer a headwind in the morning, cycling home into a headwind isn't the best.

My morning commute is mostly downhill (in a southern direction). So in the mornings I have the downhill to soften the blow of a headwind and in the afternoons I have a nice tailwind to help me up the climbs. In general it works out nicely

Definitely  :ph34r:

But in general for the southern peninsula commuters "afternoon headwind" (SE) is the norm  :P  

That is a proper commute

• 2 weeks later...

Commuter on FW De Klerk at 8pm on a Sat evening in a strong SE in busy traffic.A very brave guy to pass under Lower Church St Bridge,but needs  more rear lights,high viz jacket  and preferably a Mi Citi bus ticket

• 8 months later...

Re-learnt an old lesson today ....

Commuted from home to the office, knowing it will be an in and out trip, ie no meetings. Decided to ride in my work clothes ... 4,6km ride ... took it easy. To not build up a sweat.

Nope ....

Long pants and cycling are not mates .....

Stil built up a sweat.

Rather put on cycling gear, enjoy the ride, and get dressed at the office.

Last year commutes were done by leaving the car in the office basement at night, cycle home and then cycle in the next morning.

This year, well whats left of it, I am planning to commute from home on those days with no scheduled site meetings .... lets see how it plays out

* Turn on the lights when digging through the as yet unsorted pile of clean underwear to make sure you take your jocks instead of the wifes. That was a rather interesting commando day at the office that day.

* If your front light seems like its not bright enough, try pointing it down and not at the sky

* Turn on the lights when digging through the as yet unsorted pile of clean underwear to make sure you take your jocks instead of the wifes. That was a rather interesting commando day at the office that day.

* If your front light seems like its not bright enough, try pointing it down and not at the sky

Thanks for the laugh. Good start to my Friday  :clap:

* Turn on the lights when digging through the as yet unsorted pile of clean underwear to make sure you take your jocks instead of the wifes. That was a rather interesting commando day at the office that day.........

Why not wear the wifes? Little short on sense of adventure? :ph34r:

Re-learnt an old lesson today ....

Commuted from home to the office, knowing it will be an in and out trip, ie no meetings. Decided to ride in my work clothes ... 4,6km ride ... took it easy. To not build up a sweat.

Nope ....

Long pants and cycling are not mates .....

Stil built up a sweat.

Rather put on cycling gear, enjoy the ride, and get dressed at the office.

Last year commutes were done by leaving the car in the office basement at night, cycle home and then cycle in the next morning.

This year, well whats left of it, I am planning to commute from home on those days with no scheduled site meetings .... lets see how it plays out

did you not take the "motorbike" to work?

did you not take the "motorbike" to work?

nope ... decided to "rough" it ....  :eek:   :ph34r:

WOW !!!  WEIRD to use a standard bike after 800km of e-bike .... actually thought the brakes had seized up when I pulled away from the stop street ...... topic for a different thread.

The idea is to use the commuter to work .... though, I may just plan the odd after work trail ride and take the e-bike to work and hit the trails at 16:00 on those days ....

nope ... decided to "rough" it ....  :eek:   :ph34r:

WOW !!!  WEIRD to use a standard bike after 800km of e-bike .... actually thought the brakes had seized up when I pulled away from the stop street ...... topic for a different thread.

The idea is to use the commuter to work .... though, I may just plan the odd after work trail ride and take the e-bike to work and hit the trails at 16:00 on those days ....

Interesting point / observation ... assuming riders will be covering more mileage on e-bikes, I can imagine the number of sales for consumables such as drive trains, brake pads and tyres will go up and then the service departments should also be busier servicing suspension and replacing consumable items again....

Why not wear the wifes? Little short on sense of adventure? :ph34r:

Tried them on, they were tight in all the wrong places, decided it was just best to go commando

Tried them on, they were tight in all the wrong places, decided it was just best to go commando

Basically you were getting uptight when you put them on .... not suprised at all  :whistling:

Some things you can never un-see ????????

Actually have a pair of undies tucked away at the office ..... I have learnt that lesson .... ????

Edited by ChrisF

• 3 weeks later...

Okayyyyy .... new day, new lesson ....

Seems Cape Town has a new rookie weather forecaster .... or the same old nutter still cant get it right during the change of seasons .....

Monday - site inspections .... car

Tuesday - raining ...

Wednesday - more site inspections .... car

Thursday .. PERFECT weather, but more site inspections, so yet again in the car

FRIDAY ... at last, an office day, and two sites shows good weather .... VERY nice ride to work, and then just before I leave the office the rain starts .....  :whistling:

Still beats being in a car  :thumbup:   :clap:

So now the real question .... what rain kit do the hard core commuters use ?  And where do you buy this ?  :ph34r: