Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• The hill on the way home from work is alway hard, but eventually you sweat less
  • People at work judge you, but you judge them right back
  • Commuters with beards look cool, but I always wonder if they have a real job

My beard is awesome...

Edited by rickus_viljoen

It always amazes me how I manage to scream like a little girl when a car door is opened on me ... eish ... so close this morning, and I was going at a fair pace .... that would have really hurt 

It always amazes me how I manage to scream like a little girl when a car door is opened on me ... eish ... so close this morning, and I was going at a fair pace .... that would have really hurt 

At least they can hear you then.... :D

haha poor girl did that to me the other day, I think she got a bigger fright than me! Was also a close call.

What amazes me is how people drive in front of you from a side street and then look at you (going straight) like you are in the wrong!

What amazes me is how people drive in front of you from a side street and then look at you (going straight) like you are in the wrong!

Yup. Really had a go the other day at a dude driving a plumbers' bakkie. Looked me in the eyes, then decided to go anyway.

Yup. Really had a go the other day at a dude driving a plumbers' bakkie. Looked me in the eyes, then decided to go anyway.

Can't say how many times this has happened to me. Or the other one, is look left and just go not bothering to even look right. Had to slide my back wheel again trying to brake for a scooter that did that to me this morning.

in fact this morning was such a crap car/pedestrian ride, which ended in me being bumped by a car that didn't even bother to notice I was there or even stop afterwards. Luckily for me I managed to stay on my bike. Let's just hope the ride home is not as eventful as the ride in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness

Inattentional Blindness is the cause of it. Basically the brain (and some just do not have enough of it to start with) cannot process fast enough, so it ignores some of the input in order to cope. You on your bike gets ignored, the 18 wheeler behind you gets registered. Drivers looking you in the eye is no indication that they have seen you. You have to do something that will make you stand out enough to get over the threshold - like a moerse bright flashing front light!

Edited by DJR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness

Inattentional Blindness is the cause of it. Basically the brain (and some just do not have enough of it to start with) cannot process fast enough, so it ignores some of the input in order to cope. You on your bike gets ignored, the 18 wheeler behind you gets registered. Drivers looking you in the eye is no indication that they have seen you. You have to do something that will make you stand out enough to get over the threshold - like a moerse bright flashing front light!

There you go... ^_^

There you go... ^_^

:D Inattentional blindness, not attention deficit syndrome ;) and I don't think there are pills for it :(  

• 3 weeks later...

Took a lekker fall yesterday tryng to do a sideways bunnyhop onto the saidewalk. I didnt lift the front wheel enough, didnt notice it was higher than normal, so front wheel went straight and body when sideways, felt like a chop :lol:

:stupid:

Took a lekker fall yesterday tryng to do a sideways bunnyhop onto the saidewalk. I didnt lift the front wheel enough, didnt notice it was higher than normal, so front wheel went straight and body when sideways, felt like a chop :lol:

:stupid:

Did almost the same thing. Front wheel on, back not. The skin on my elbow still a bit see-through.

Edited by rickus_viljoen

• 2 weeks later...

Started commuting again properly this week. My commute took a knock with all the Epic training requirements. So much happier!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

After commuting the same route for the last few years a changed jobs last months. I havent been on bike for the last month but today I got a key to the bike shed and showers at my new company, so as soon I get my bike sorted (broke my frame) Ill be back on the road. Will be starting from scracth and few kilograms heavier  :blush:

Old Route (17km)

post-1290-0-83563100-1460465631_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-82086800-1460465638_thumb.jpg