Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

One big thing I have noticed is that cars are way more forgiving in the morning than in the afternoon.

Absolutely agree

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cars are way more forgiving in the morning than in the afternoon.

...and (for the most part) they aren't exactly forgiving in the morning... ;)

......One big thing I have noticed is that cars are way more forgiving in the morning than in the afternoon.

Agreed!

Except that they are more absent minded (caffeine deprived?) in the morning.

Trying new route variations can reveal unexpected gems ...

such as : a great hill climb, a road free of cars, just 1 road down or up ,  some great single track , a bike shop you didnt know was there, new strava segments , a technical descent ...

So I've always wanted to commute. I mean, who doesn't want more riding time!??

But, my job is driving. I drive a lot, all over the city to get to our clients and work with my team. So I've always juts thought I'm not fortunate enough to do it.

But then I figured out, I live 22 kilos from the office. It's a flat road with shoulder, but it's windy most days. My office has no shower facilities so I have to ride slow enough to not pitch up for work sweaty. Riding home I can blast it.

So I figured I can leave my car parked at the office overnight, and inside it is new shirts and underwear, and I just pop my bike on the back seat during the day. I then drive around, see everyone I need to, and drive back to the office in the afternoon and ride home. Repeat.

While it's not ideal, it's ******* brilliant. I feel great, burn 1100 calories one way, and now fit in 44kms of riding a day. I do bitch out a bit and skip very windy or wet days, but it's absolutely awesome.

Buying a single speed now to avoid maintenance and riding through kuilsriver with a 60k bike, so excited to see what the single speed side of riding will be like. I've always wanted one but now have the reason to actually do it!!!

But, my job is driving. I drive a lot, all over the city to get to our clients and work with my team. So I've always juts thought I'm not fortunate enough to do it.

But then I figured out, I live 22 kilos from the office. It's a flat road with shoulder, but it's windy most days. My office has no shower facilities so I have to ride slow enough to not pitch up for work sweaty. Riding home I can blast it.

So I figured I can leave my car parked at the office overnight, and inside it is new shirts and underwear, and I just pop my bike on the back seat during the day. I then drive around, see everyone I need to, and drive back to the office in the afternoon and ride home. Repeat.

While it's not ideal, it's ******* brilliant. I feel great, burn 1100 calories one way, and now fit in 44kms of riding a day. I do bitch out a bit and skip very windy or wet days, but it's absolutely awesome.

Buying a single speed now to avoid maintenance and riding through kuilsriver with a 60k bike, so excited to see what the single speed side of riding will be like. I've always wanted one but now have the reason to actually do it!!!

Great gonig.  Just check with your insurance that they are aware that your car is parked at night at work and not at home.  Even if it is secure parking, if it does get stolen you might have a problem.

Agreed!

Except that they are more absent minded (caffeine deprived?) in the morning.

The morning school run is my scariest challenge of the day. Absent mindedness and aggression - a bad combination!

SS is really really economical in the long run!

I bought a bell so when I'm on the cycle path I can alert people in a friendly manner. 

But instead I will need to educate pedestrians what that sound means, as ringing it has zero affect. 

Now I ring the bell from a distance repeatedly as I approach and if the walker has not moved I squeeze through with the occasional scrape! 

I bought a bell so when I'm on the cycle path I can alert people in a friendly manner. 

But instead I will need to educate pedestrians what that sound means, as ringing it has zero affect. 

Now I ring the bell from a distance repeatedly as I approach and if the walker has not moved I squeeze through with the occasional scrape! 

Air Horn should solve that  :devil:

That makes them jump........only trouble is you never know whether it will be up, left or right! :D

Or face down flat on the pavement / sidewalk.

A bad day cycling is better than a good day working.

whistle works well on the cycle lane adjacent to the rail way line where one is to encounter a couple of hundred train fair dodgers in the morning and afternoon.

a polite rhythmic whistle as you go to give fair warning of your arrival .... this can escalate to get the %^#$^ out the way blowing your ear drums shrill should one encounter a to a group of people who refuse to move over.

whistle works well on the cycle lane adjacent to the rail way line where one is to encounter a couple of hundred train fair dodgers in the morning and afternoon.

a polite rhythmic whistle as you go to give fair warning of your arrival .... this can escalate to get the %^#$^ out the way blowing your ear drums shrill should one encounter a to a group of people who refuse to move over.

Nice idea

Edited by Pulse

SS is really really economical in the long run!

yeah thats the plan - to be honest they just look like a bunch of fun - i find the wind is my biggest turn off for riding. i reckon with a SS ill be forced to just go head down and turn the pedals - forget speed or pace or whatever other metrics that don't actually matter.

looking forward to it!!!!