Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning commuters, so this is what I've learned...

Today when trying to start my 2 year old bakkie, it refused with that slow growl indicating the battery might be shot...

So, get dressed for a cycling commute with work goodies in a back-pack...and off I go...and this is what I learned: make sure you have your office keys when you leave home :blush:

Conditioning makes a huge difference.

I've been off the bike for about 3 weeks and getting up in the mornings is really hard when its dark and cold. I feel like a wimp. When you're regularly riding in the mornings its so much easier.

Luckily for us Gautengers the weather has been very good par for a couple of crap days. Rode often to work.

I have learned that I CAN commute straight through winter. I'm glad that I have. Especially with the damn fuel price at the moment.

avg 725km in the last 28days , thats a saving for me of R2900 according to the AA rates of my car .

commuting i avg about 700 odd km per month over and above normal training .

Edited by Iron

I save about R150 per week, based on about R1/km, just in fuel.

go to the AA website , they have a calculator to work out the running costs of specified cars . its horrid to know what the cars actually costs are per km .my truck is R 4 per km ( thats diesel , maintanace ect ) .

Nice. R2.99 per km. So I am "saving" almost R400 per week by riding 3 days a week to work.

so for you its about R1506 / month now you can go buy more bike bling ..................

so for you its about R1506 / month now you can go buy more bike bling ..................

I just checked my rate and it's R4.20/km!!! :eek:

Hopefully the office's shower works soon so I can start biking in a couple of times a week, will result in R1680/month savings commuting twice a week!

R860 a month if I commute once a week, which I more or less do.

Now the trick is to get strong enough to ride to the riding venues :whistling: 100km to Cullinan would have been a bit of a killer.

R3.82 /km. ride 54 per day , cycle 2xweek, that is R200 per day, R1600 per month. Holy smokes. Its becoming less and less profitable to drive to work. I feel sorry for people who sit hours in traffic. Though, tomorrow I might join them with this weather. Its CRAP!!!

oH, almost forgot to mention this...don't ride directly next to a car if traffic is slow/congested, in case they suddenly decide to turn you don't want to be right next to them.