Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Been to Durbs for a short break from Thursday. I was shocked at how crazy the traffic/roads was.

Everyone in a car and bus and truck was gunning it, pedestrians running over busy roads with traffic travelling at 80km/h+.

I saw a couple of commuters on bicycle and tried to give them some space, but no-one else seems to care that they are even there!

I was very happy with the "relaxed" traffic when I got back to Jhb this afternoon.

Other than the constant hills (and sometimes insane gradient), I have respect for Durbs Cyclists, especially the fact that they have to brave the traffic.

Stay safe!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to Durbs for a short break from Thursday. I was shocked at how crazy the traffic/roads was.

Everyone in a car and bus and truck was gunning it, pedestrians running over busy roads with traffic travelling at 80km/h+.

I saw a couple of commuters on bicycle and tried to give them some space, but no-one else seems to care that they are even there!

I was very happy with the "relaxed" traffic when I got back to Jhb this afternoon.

Other than the constant hills (and sometimes insane gradient), I have respect for Durbs Cyclists, especially the fact that they have to brave the traffic.

Stay safe!

That's an interesting viewpoint. I find that Gauteng traffic is insane (scary even) and have always been grateful whenever I return to more chilled KZN :)

That's an interesting viewpoint. I find that Gauteng traffic is insane (scary even) and have always been grateful whenever I return to more chilled KZN :)

Maybe I'm just used to the Gauteng crazyness... But I can say that Dbn is not like George or Capetown (now that's relaxed as long as there are no Gautengers).

Maybe I'm just used to the Gauteng crazyness... But I can say that Dbn is not like George or Capetown (now that's relaxed as long as there are no Gautengers).

I think that you are just used to it. I used to think Joburg was bad compared to Pta, but after some time you get used to it then it feels the same, each has its crazy areas/times. 

Coming close to the end of the year and there are 37700 km total in the Endomondo commuters challenge!

www.endomondo.com/challenges/13727179

I'm sure we will be able to cross the 40000 mark, I'm adding a few extra km's per day on my commute

Coming close to the end of the year and there are 37700 km total in the Endomondo commuters challenge!

I'm sure we will be able to cross the 40000 mark, I'm adding a few extra km's per day on my commute

What is this?

Will this be happening next year again?

how can i get involved?

I think that you are just used to it. I used to think Joburg was bad compared to Pta, but after some time you get used to it then it feels the same, each has its crazy areas/times. 

Was in China for 2 months and commuting there has put some hair on my teeth, pretty happy to be back in Cape Town. Even though the general public drive like self entitled four year olds.

What is this?

Will this be happening next year again?

how can i get involved?

You can still join at anytime. It will show how much you have done for the year.

Here is a list of all the hub challenges:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/134676-the-hubsa-endomondo-challenges-2014/

There should be a new thread next year for 2015 challenges.

You will just need to install endomondo on your phone, sign up, search for the challenges and join the challenge. Then keep checking your stats on the leader board..

You can still join at anytime. It will show how much you have done for the year.

Here is a list of all the hub challenges:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/134676-the-hubsa-endomondo-challenges-2014/

There should be a new thread next year for 2015 challenges.

You will just need to install endomondo on your phone, sign up, search for the challenges and join the challenge. Then keep checking your stats on the leader board..

Explained well! When you do a ride, just select Cycling Transport, If you use Strava you can automate a sync from Strava to Endomondo using this, or actually anyway you want.

https://tapiriik.com/

Sheeshh ... commuted for the first time in months this moning, and almost get taken out by a ballie skipping a stop street 500m from my house. He proceeds to get out of his car and tries to moer me. I dunno what's wrong with me, I just rode off, I've been looking for a scrap for weeks, one presents itself and I'd rather just ride ...

Man, I missed my bike!

Sheeshh ... commuted for the first time in months this moning, and almost get taken out by a ballie skipping a stop street 500m from my house. He proceeds to get out of his car and tries to moer me. I dunno what's wrong with me, I just rode off, I've been looking for a scrap for weeks, one presents itself and I'd rather just ride ...

Man, I missed my bike!

Don't worry, that was the perfect response.

Just turn around and walk away. Being a 'macho hero' has no place in the world of bicycle commuting. We will always, always come off second best against someone in a car. And if they're prone to road rage, that means you're dealing with someone who has issues. Just walk away.

Too many people make the mistake that they need to live up to some sort of macho 'code' and if they don't fight back then they are not man enough or something.

This is the 21st century, not the middle ages. You have a family at home who love you, and expect you to come home in one piece every evening. That's our no.1 priority. Not pandering to our egos.

Just turn around and walk away. Being a 'macho hero' has no place in the world of bicycle commuting. We will always, always come off second best against someone in a car. And if they're prone to road rage, that means you're dealing with someone who has issues. Just walk away.

Too many people make the mistake that they need to live up to some sort of macho 'code' and if they don't fight back then they are not man enough or something.

This is the 21st century, not the middle ages. You have a family at home who love you, and expect you to come home in one piece every evening. That's our no.1 priority. Not pandering to our egos.

You're a philosopher. And I agree with every word.

Amen to that

Guest Omega Man

nothing wrong with being a closet hipster :) ... many in our commute group have ditched the fancy bikes for reliable single speed rides.

Dan Dobinson told me to rather save tires and drivetrain on my Tracer and get a cheap commuter. Oh and if some DOOSH decides to mug me and steal my bike it's only a 3k loss as apposed to probly 45k to replace my Tracer.

So far I'm loving it. 

Edited by Omega Man

Joined the challenge and quickly added another 170km!

Hope to commute for one full week this December which will be another bunch of KMs.