Burry go back to basics

martelpypie

100% in agreement there.. Emotions.. Whew.

I found new respect for 29 on the prologue of the epic.. Ruins trail has a rock drop that has 26 running for shelter (ok, some 26's) but when 29s started flying from thne rock, my jaw dropped. I've been an evangalist since..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years back Burry won on the Champery leg of the World Cup, likely with his 26" epic, and he is 174cm tall, so no real need for a 29er because of height. His 29er for the last round of the WC two weeks back was 7,9kg, which is super light, so ja, I think you have a valid point

is that correct? that's pretty light. maybe a bit too light! he is running 1x10, which would drop a few grams.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraightdirt/2011/05/25/world-cup-victory-for-full-suspension-29er/

As Joel Smith recently alluded to, Specialized’s 29er lineup is massive this year, accounting for a good part of the company’s high-end offering. The bike Kulhavy rode to victory at Dalby Forest in the U.K. weighed 20.9 pounds, which seems like some insane race build for a full-suspension 29er, but it’s not far off the stock 22-pound S-Works Epic 29er that’s available at your local Specialized shop for a cool $9,900.

20.9 pounds = 9.45kg

The same year that songo.info go for reliability in their cape epic bikes they win. Then burry's xc season has had quite a few mechanicals, on some pretty weenie bikes. either way, if there are lessons to be learnt, this is the year to do it!

100% in agreement there.. Emotions.. Whew.

I found new respect for 29 on the prologue of the epic.. Ruins trail has a rock drop that has 26 running for shelter (ok, some 26's) but when 29s started flying from thne rock, my jaw dropped. I've been an evangalist since..

Is the rock drop you're talking about the one at tokai, i assume as thats where the prologue was.

According to the map and my memory, thats the one on the Mamba trail?

The one that carries onto the next trail after a small drop and then ends at the ruins at the bottom before going into the next section?

Whats the standard length for flatbars?

How long is that string again?

For racing it used to be 560mm - 580mm, you could barely find a straight bar wider than 580mm, nowadays you can get anything up to 700mm+, interesting how trends change.

Quite frankly you can make anything bombproof depending on where you want to compromise. The argument for mechanical deficiency based on wheelsize is without substance. Weight is most certainly NOT the determining factor in building a bike and on a WC XC course, you can pretty much break anything depending on how and where you land.

Burry had a bad year. Fini. Kulhavi had a great year. There are cynics who would argue for the relative brilliance of their medical teams!!! Where would that get us?

Lets see what next season brings. Burry is still a laaitjie.

I think it comes down to the Team who choose the bikes to push the 29er brand!

Take the Epic for example; Burry and Christoph were told to ride those bikes to make everybody aware of the 29er for purely a sales reason and they won!

Imagine how the 29er sales picked up after the Epic!!

I think Burry & Christoph are awesome riders!

Edited by david16v

Take the Epic for example; Burry and Christoph were told to ride those bikes to make everybody aware of the 29er for purely a sales reason and they won!

Methinks you made this up.

It was fairly well documented at Epic time that the guys had chosen the DS 29ers themselves, along with the reasons why.

Got a link to share that supports your theory?

Note: seriously, if you have some evidence of orders from Specialized, it would contribute greatly to this debate. Send it on!

I gotta say, horses for courses. I think the 29er is great for Marathon events and thats it, for anything tight and tachnical a 26 inch bike can't be beaten day in and day out. Hence the pro's ride 26inch bikes for XC, mainly, and 29ers for marathon racing. Size of rider must also influence this choice too, but certainly looks better on taller riders, look at Mighty Mouse for eg, he looks ridiculous on a 29inch bike.

How long is that string again?

For racing it used to be 560mm - 580mm, you could barely find a straight bar wider than 580mm, nowadays you can get anything up to 700mm+, interesting how trends change.

But for an improvement in handling the longer bars are better right?

is that correct? that's pretty light. maybe a bit too light! he is running 1x10, which would drop a few grams.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraightdirt/2011/05/25/world-cup-victory-for-full-suspension-29er/

As Joel Smith recently alluded to, Specialized’s 29er lineup is massive this year, accounting for a good part of the company’s high-end offering. The bike Kulhavy rode to victory at Dalby Forest in the U.K. weighed 20.9 pounds, which seems like some insane race build for a full-suspension 29er, but it’s not far off the stock 22-pound S-Works Epic 29er that’s available at your local Specialized shop for a cool $9,900.

20.9 pounds = 9.45kg :) epic yes, sorry if I confused you, his HT was 7,9kg

The same year that songo.info go for reliability in their cape epic bikes they win. Then burry's xc season has had quite a few mechanicals, on some pretty weenie bikes. either way, if there are lessons to be learnt, this is the year to do it!

post-17760-0-79816100-1315242045.jpg

I gotta say, horses for courses. I think the 29er is great for Marathon events and thats it, for anything tight and tachnical a 26 inch bike can't be beaten day in and day out. Hence the pro's ride 26inch bikes for XC, mainly, and 29ers for marathon racing. Size of rider must also influence this choice too, but certainly looks better on taller riders, look at Mighty Mouse for eg, he looks ridiculous on a 29inch bike.

For the love of 3D Chamois would people watch XC racing before jumping on the 26er is faster than 29er on an XC course bandwagon.

A rider called Jaroslav Kulhavy beat everyone consistently, comprehensively, day in and day out this year on a 29er duallie.

Or is the 26ophile creed "if he wins on a 26er its the bike - if he wins on a 29er its the rider"?

I think it comes down to the Team who choose the bikes to push the 29er brand!

Imagine how the 29er sales picked up after the Epic!!

I think Burry & Christoph are awesome riders!

Ohh David now you're talking out of your chocolate blowhole - its been weel documented that they chose the duallies to save their bodies and more robust tyres to increase reliability. If memory serves Burry said that their bikes were 1kg heavier than most of their competitors but was confident that the benefits outweighed the weight penalty.