thehub now sending junk email

andydude

* I've searched for other threads, but couldn't see any *

I received an email directly from the hub email address with the subject: "Up to 50% Discount on Bicycle Services with FLOOK sporting deals". I think this is unacceptable, never mind being illegal. :thumbdown:

I checked my privacy settings and I've only ticked two boxes, (1) Hide my email address from other members and (2) Send me any updates sent by the board administrator. I've never opted in for any communication regardings specials, etc.

The point is not whether the email might be useful or not, but that I never opted in for emails with contents like that. I know it's only one email, but everything starts with one...

Admin - can you please clarify on why this was sent and what you are going to do about it?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I really have to flag an eMail from the Hub as "Junk" thereby creating a filter that will perpetually dump any email originating from that source into the bin?

From "thehubsa.co.za" <mail@thehubsa.co.za>

Date: 15 September, 2011 09:05

To: me@*.com

Up to 50% Discount on Bicycle Services with FLOOK sporting deals

Should I be expecting special deals on prawns and relaxing spa treatments? Or worse, breathless girls interested in ME!

Pushing unsolicited advertising via mail is now an offense, not just annoying. Yes, yes, there's an unsubscribe button, but I never subscribed in the first place. I registered to use a special interest group's online Forum

Why can't you place a classified ad like the rest of us?

Seriously, BIG FAIL The Hub.

In the time it took you (and me now!) to write this post you could have deleted 4,623 emails - yes I did delete that many emails based on a time and motion study conducted by myself.

So they sent you an email offering you 50% on a bike service...big fookin deal.

A simple no thank and delete would have been way more appropriate than a public nerdfit.

Thanks Tumbleweed.

Eldron, you're missing a big point. This is not about nerdfits, it's about privacy.

Time's up.

Edited by my_intense

In the time it took you (and me now!) to write this post you could have deleted 4,623 emails - yes I did delete that many emails based on a time and motion study conducted by myself.

So they sent you an email offering you 50% on a bike service...big fookin deal.

A simple no thank and delete would have been way more appropriate than a public nerdfit.

I don’t think that’s the point.

The point is, you have to opt-in for email marketing, and have we been given this opportunity?

I don’t think that’s the point.

The point is, you have to opt-in for email marketing, and have we been given this opportunity?

I agree, I hit 'Report Spam' on it in my gmail. I didn't ask for this stuff. Also tired of the prompt to participate in some survey which is obviously just for the benefit of some third party marketing company.

Must be honest, I got it and deleted it .... 1st time and my thinking is should it become a problem I would check with Admin via PM but for now no stress - but hey that's just me :unsure:

I'm sure Admin will answer this thread in good time.

I'm not sure if the DNCR is fully operational yet, but with regards the CPA, the e-mail sent does offer an opt-out in terms of the act: …that recipients are able to … request discontinuation (of) direct marketing communications…

CPA and spam

I agree, I hit 'Report Spam' on it in my gmail. I didn't ask for this stuff. Also tired of the prompt to participate in some survey which is obviously just for the benefit of some third party marketing company.

I did the survey to make it go away and still got harassed afterwards... Aggressive marketing...?

Hi guys,

Sending out email advertising to our database is something I've been very strict about not doing up until today.

The mailer which was sent out this morning was sent to all members who'd ticked the "Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" box.

While apprehensive about doing so, I'd felt this offer would be a value add to members, but as some have pointed out this is beside the point as there was no explicit opt-in.

In hind sight this not just a poor decision, but an incorrect one in terms of the regulations around this.

I apologise for this.

All I can do is assure you that it's something we won't be doing in future unless strictly on a separate and clear opt-in system.

Kind Regards,

Matt Eagar

Founder

I'm sure Admin will answer this thread in good time.

I'm not sure if the DNCR is fully operational yet, but with regards the CPA, the e-mail sent does offer an opt-out in terms of the act: …that recipients are able to … request discontinuation (of) direct marketing communications…

CPA and spam

That it does.

However, on signing up to the forum, you should have the option to opt-in to direct or third party marketing as well as selecting privacy settings.

I don’t mind, looked like an interesting offer (Groupon), but its the principal of the OP’s post.

Edited by Chubba

Hi guys,

Sending out email advertising to our database is something I've been very strict about not doing up until today.

The mailer which was sent out this morning was sent to all members who'd ticked the "Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" box.

While apprehensive about doing so, I'd felt this offer would be a value add to members, but as some have pointed out this is beside the point as there was no explicit opt-in.

In hind sight this not just a poor decision, but an incorrect one in terms of the regulations around this.

I apologise for this.

All I can do is assure you that it's something we won't be doing in future unless strictly on a separate and clear opt-in system.

Kind Regards,

Matt Eagar

Founder

good on ya Admin!!!

:thumbup:

I don’t mind, looked like an interesting offer (Grouponfree subscription to www.interbride.ru)

"Legislation in the form of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act and the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) works on an opt-out basis."

http://www.techleader.co.za/pieterstreicher/2011/06/20/edging-towards-viable-anti-spam-legislation/

The e-mail did contain an unsubscribe option, so technically it is legal according to current SA law. It would be nice though to have the opt-out option in the privacy settings of your user account control panel.

But agree with other posters that this is unwanted and unsolicited e-mail.