Fork lockout - useful / not?

pauloc

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use mine all the time. Running a Marzo 55 with 6.5" travel. When locked out I have the 'TST' set to let big knocks through, but still allows me to stand and pedal hard. I use it on hills, road sections, smooth trails or if I'm jumping a lot. I only flip it off when I'm in rough stuff. Personally I love it and need a fork to have it.

Pics or we dont believe you

I miss that bike...demmit

Warrrrrrren!

It's riding so well. Loving it, even after 8 hours in the saddle on Sunday :)

Will upload pics once done.

Used mine all the time, locked on uphills and actiave on downhills or rocky terrain.

Now I have a brain fork that does it for me.

I also have a rigid fork and swap between them depending on course.

I use my front lockout and switch depending on terrain, on my 29 DS iv'e never needed to open the rear but like to know its there if needed.

I used it often, and often enough that I forget it's locked out on the descent. and I dont seem to mind much. Love the extra stiffness to be honest. Too much wallowing up front makes for arm pump and the sensation of an impending involuntary dismount OTB. If the trail is smooth, i leave it locked, if it gets rough, a quick reach and twist and it's one click off locked. I LOVE a stiff suspension. Wish I could firm my DH fork up too, like really really firm.

Jus' pump it up hard dude...

On RS forks its not just a loock out...

The lock out has an adjustable threshold. You can use this to add compression damping to your fork for very steep descents to prevent the fork diving too much. Engagae the lock out and then adjust the threshold knob to reduce the lock out effect - in this way you can make the fork stiffer on compression and flick the switch to go back to the std setting.

Of course you'll only have a use for this if you do ride super steep stuff...

sorry for the hijack and what about the lockout on the soft tails shock? :unsure:

My RP23 doesnt have full lockout, it has the propedal switch which isnt a full lock like on a RS monarch I have heard. Same here, I never toggle it to propedal...always open. That being said, my suspension design is pretty efficient so I feel I never have to.

Warrrrrrren!It's riding so well. Loving it, even after 8 hours in the saddle on Sunday :)Will upload pics once done.

Lekker man...glad you enjoying it :thumbup:

On my first bike I used it once. The day I got the bike to see if it worked. Never used it again. On my current trail bike, I have lock out on the front (WTFF I have no idea...) and pro pedal on the rear. Set the pressure and rebound on both and haven't touched either apart from checking air pressure on both occasionally.

I have noticed the likes of Burry and co playing with theirs while riding... Maybe it is just for the elite XC group that wouldn't be seen dead in baggies. ;)

Have recently bought a fork with a remote lock out, I find it quite useful on the tar roads when en route somewhere and also on the 'not so rough' dirt roads when going uphill.

I used it often, and often enough that I forget it's locked out on the descent. and I dont seem to mind much. Love the extra stiffness to be honest. Too much wallowing up front makes for arm pump and the sensation of an impending involuntary dismount OTB. If the trail is smooth, i leave it locked, if it gets rough, a quick reach and twist and it's one click off locked. I LOVE a stiff suspension. Wish I could firm my DH fork up too, like really really firm.

Interesting - I don't really feel any bob / wallowing on the open stuff. Do you find you're out the saddle quite a bit?

On the SS I use mine all the time when climbing out the saddle, on my Heckler the same thing, I think on longer travel bikes they are even more useful than anywhere else.

Is cool. :thumbup:

Climbing, forest road and smooth stuff. Road training. Works better on HT setup.

Makes sense for the road training, but then you're making an easy ride (in comparison to MTB) even easier. I leave mine unlocked on the road training sessions to simulate how I ride off road.