Show us your pets

tunariaan

Well mom in law sent some goodies for Enzo again (this is the second parcel for Enzo this month)..and Enzo was very very keen to be very good ..as you can see some really lekker treats were also in the parcel[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]9a54391cd06c59d60cf82c0b3695d833.jpg

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mom in law sent some goodies for Enzo again (this is the second parcel for Enzo this month)..and Enzo was very very keen to be very good ..as you can see some really lekker treats were also in the parcel[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bribery, I tell you, it's the South African way........before you know it Enzo will be a South African Shepherd  :ph34r:

Our Border Collie Sam just loves coffee!

There is a Border Collie in Enzo's obedience class, cute little pup.

I specifically came on to this thread to get my dose of GSD pics and Enzo updates.

Great stuff!

Lol

Enzo has insane drive..my son is exhausted at night and Enzo is still bouncing around

But clever oh so clever. He fetches my son to go play hockey and the other son to play football.

I really wish I could post videos..my son will say do you want to play hockey and Enzo gets excited and takes him to play hockey.. and when he feel like playing hockey he fetches the hockey ball and drops it in front of him.

Obedience training is incredible..so very clever..they are learning to react to that left leg.. you step with the left leg he moves when the right leg steps first he stays..

They also learnt how to go from the sit in front of handler to sit on the left next to handler.. by using that left leg.. So what you do is when pup is sitting in front of you you step back with left leg, pup then move around you (clockwise) and then you step forward with the left leg and pup follows left leg and sits next to you. My son did it about 5 times with him, marked it with the word 'side'.. now when he says side, Enzo just goes around and sits next to him..no need for the left leg movement.

Ideally my son would want to have him go from the sit in front of him to side without going around him, basically pup just shift his butt round to his side..both methods are correct for competition, the one just looks more impressive than the other.

Loose lead walking is also coming along really well..and he very seldom will pull, during class they move the end of the lead up on the arm.. (my son hooks it around his shoulder) and then they walk..Enzo has full focus in my son for the full distance.

They are also working on his tracking..this is something that takes a LOT of patience... but when he sees the tracking harness, long lead and tracking flag come out he knows exactly what he must do.. I lay the track..(not long yet about 5m) without him seeing, I make a tracking pad where I put the flag and a a fair amount of treats (normally just his kibble) then the track starts..one kibble in every footstep... when my son brings him out (he isnt allowed to see where the track is laid) he sees the flag and goes straight to it.. but it takes patience and the pup needs to use his nose and follow the track himself. We will introduce the tracking articles once he is able to follow the track for about 20m....but no rush we all have fun together.

The practice obedience often, 10min every few hours.. it is actually easy to do..Enzo will take my son to the treat cupboard and he knows when the treats come out it is obedience time and will start offering obedience while my son gets ready..very cute..he works for everything..even for a chew toy and meal time... he has to wait for the food, then he offers sit and down and he knows he has to then wait for the command before he is allowed to start eating ..clever boy..so clever.

He is also very very protective of us, it is going to be interesting when hubby comes back from Tanzania [emoji85]

Edited by Gen

At which age should I get our GSD/Husky pup to attend obedience classes?

That should be interesting as Huskies are free spirited animals, while GSD are quite receptive to training.

Rolo is 8 weeks old tomorrow.

That should be interesting as Huskies are free spirited animals, while GSD are quite receptive to training.

Start tomorrow

Lol

Enzo has insane drive..my son is exhausted at night and Enzo is still bouncing around

But clever oh so clever. He fetches my son to go play hockey and the other son to play football.

I really wish I could post videos..my son will say do you want to play hockey and Enzo gets excited and takes him to play hockey.. and when he feel like playing hockey he fetches the hockey ball and drops it in front of him.

Obedience training is incredible..so very clever..they are learning to react to that left leg.. you step with the left leg he moves when the right leg steps first he stays..

They also learnt how to go from the sit in front of handler to sit on the left next to handler.. by using that left leg.. So what you do is when pup is sitting in front of you you step back with left leg, pup then move around you (clockwise) and then you step forward with the left leg and pup follows left leg and sits next to you. My son did it about 5 times with him, marked it with the word 'side'.. now when he says side, Enzo just goes around and sits next to him..no need for the left leg movement.

Ideally my son would want to have him go from the sit in front of him to side without going around him, basically pup just shift his butt round to his side..both methods are correct for competition, the one just looks more impressive than the other.

Loose lead walking is also coming along really well..and he very seldom will pull, during class they move the end of the lead up on the arm.. (my son hooks it around his shoulder) and then they walk..Enzo has full focus in my son for the full distance.

They are also working on his tracking..this is something that takes a LOT of patience... but when he sees the tracking harness, long lead and tracking flag come out he knows exactly what he must do.. I lay the track..(not long yet about 5m) without him seeing, I make a tracking pad where I put the flag and a a fair amount of treats (normally just his kibble) then the track starts..one kibble in every footstep... when my son brings him out (he isnt allowed to see where the track is laid) he sees the flag and goes straight to it.. but it takes patience and the pup needs to use his nose and follow the track himself. We will introduce the tracking articles once he is able to follow the track for about 20m....but no rush we all have fun together.

The practice obedience often, 10min every few hours.. it is actually easy to do..Enzo will take my son to the treat cupboard and he knows when the treats come out it is obedience time and will start offering obedience while my son gets ready..very cute..he works for everything..even for a chew toy and meal time... he has to wait for the food, then he offers sit and down and he knows he has to then wait for the command before he is allowed to start eating ..clever boy..so clever.

He is also very very protective of us, it is going to be interesting when hubby comes back from Tanzania [emoji85]

Thank you. Love it!

They are super protective. I remember when my late male GSD would guard my son's cot and wouldn't let the other dogs even in the bedroom.

A friend had the same cross. Great dog but definitely harder work than a full GSD.

The earlier the better..puppy classes normally at about 8/9weeks.

Watch Michael Ellis videos on YouTube if you dont want to go to classes.. he is very good and explains things really well..the nice thing about class is socializing your pup with other dogs and people.

There is a GSD-Huskey pup that is in Enzo's class..very nice dog very pretty and very clever.

Edited by Gen